View Full Version : Screen Scratches

wocket
01-14-2005, 11:58 AM
Believe it or not I was about to order a write shield for my E800 yesterday and low and behold a big scratch has appeared on the screen.

So anyone got any ideas on how to remove a scratch (short of replacing the touch screen).

Someone in work has suggested toothpaste. Someone else brasso (used fo cleaning silverware).

I found a product called Displex Display Polish Scratch Remover used for removing scratches from mobile phone displays. But some have said it works on pocket pc's as well. Anyone used it? I've ordered some anyway.

PatrickD
01-14-2005, 07:47 PM
Yikes! I'd be very careful putting any chemicals or home remedies on my screen. You might make a bad situation worse :|

Darius Wey
01-15-2005, 03:46 AM
In short, I wouldn't be fixing it by yourself, especially with other abrasive material. I can think of two things which would suit you well:

(1) Leave it. The more you attempt to "work" on it, the worse it will get. I wouldn't use that mobile phone scratch remover you were talking about. Besides, putting a screen protector on top will help prevent your screen from getting anymore scratches.

(2) See if Pocket PC Techs can work on it for you. They have a way, IIRC, of removing the most superficial layer and replacing it with another one. It's not a replacement of the whole screen per se, but only a part of it, if I'm not mistaken.

Toys4Boys
01-17-2005, 03:39 AM
I've tried some different things including toothpaste, which didn't work well for me. It is true that you need to be careful because some chemicals can cloud the screen. That being said I found Brasso to work quite well on small scratches.

felixdd
01-17-2005, 08:03 AM
I've tried some different things including toothpaste, which didn't work well for me. It is true that you need to be careful because some chemicals can cloud the screen. That being said I found Brasso to work quite well on small scratches.
As an abrasive, toothpaste can be rougher than brasso. ;)

wocket
01-17-2005, 10:14 AM
Thanks guys for the help. I tried a few of the above without any success. I've stuck a screen protector on (better late) and it has hidden most of the scratch which is quite deep and right in the middle of the screen. But the display is not as clear anymore. I may well send it off to have the touch screen replaced (gulp!).

KimVette
01-18-2005, 06:43 PM
You could try a die grinder with a buffing wheel and jewlers' rouge but you run the risk of burning the screen if you're not extremely careful, not to mention damaging the digitizer.

wocket
01-19-2005, 01:02 PM
I've given up. Phoned Toshiba and they quoted me £60 just to look at it with a possible £200 if it needs the screen replaced.

I stuck a PPCTech screen overlay on it and it hides the scratch but the display slightly sucks now. Oh well :roll:

hamishmacdonald
03-27-2006, 05:09 PM
As I reported in this thread -- http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=395564#395564 -- I accidentally scratched my new Acer n311 -- while trying to put on a screen protector!

I was gutted, and ordered some of this Displex stuff, after searching around the web and finding mention of it on the Aximsite boards. I was worried about using it, but at this point had even thought of buying a new Pocket PC, 'cause I can't stand looking at a flaw in the screen.

It worked. It took some rubbing, and I was very careful, working at the screen for no more than 60 seconds at a stretch. But now the scratch has almost completely vanished. I can see it if I really look (and I'm fussy), but it's hard to tell it from the sworls already present in the plastic. (And, no, those aren't scratches from the polish. The screen is as crystal clear as when it was new. No fogginess or wear like I'd worried about.)

So now I just need to get a new screen protector on there so I don't have to risk doing this again!

I just wanted to give some hope to anyone else who's found him- or herself in my position. Of course you'll want to be cautious, but this product worked for me.

hamishmacdonald
03-29-2006, 03:30 PM
Okay, so the scratch is gone, but -- careful as I was -- I hosed the digitiser. Around the edges of the screen, the stylus will now draw a line instead of a dot, and if I'm trying to grab the scroll bar, it'll start selecting the items beside it.

I knew this was a risk, and paid the price.

Pocketjumper
03-30-2006, 07:37 PM
I've given up. Phoned Toshiba and they quoted me £60 just to look at it with a possible £200 if it needs the screen replaced.

I stuck a PPCTech screen overlay on it and it hides the scratch but the display slightly sucks now. Oh well :roll:

Toshiba did the same to me when my e83O refused to start. They quoted me a look at price for $60 Cdn and a repair price For $300 Cdn. At that price, I just said no thanks, and got my new Dell Axim x51. :roll:

BoxWave
07-14-2006, 01:35 AM
Yeah nothing is more annoying to look at than a scratch on my screen. I've heard a lot of those home remedies, but haven't tried it out of fear of making the matter worse.