View Full Version : Strong Growth in Gadget Sales to Continue in 2005

Jonathon Watkins
01-14-2005, 01:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4161639.stm' target='_blank'>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4161639.stm</a><br /><br /></div><i>"The explosion in consumer technology is to continue into 2005, delegates at the world's largest gadget show, in Las Vegas, have been told. The number of gadgets in the shops is predicted to grow by 11%, while devices which talk to each other will become increasingly important. . . . It was clear also that gadgets are becoming a lot more about lifestyle choice, with fashion and personalisation becoming increasingly key to the way gadgets are designed. "</i><br /><br />Well, this BBC news story doesn't exactly contain any great surprises. Personalising gadgets and getting just the right blend of features that are right for you? It'll never catch on. ;-) I wonder where all the cash to fuel this growth is coming from. What are you guys giving up to get your gadgets? Will there always be somthing better round the corner or is there such a thing as 'enough'?

TheWhiteRabbit
01-14-2005, 01:58 AM
I gave up going to bars and buying drinks for people that I don't know. I also gave up games... video, console and PC. Now I read eBooks instead. I also drive a less flashy and gas guzzling car.

marcm
01-14-2005, 02:16 AM
What are you guys giving up to get your gadgets?
&lt;sarcasm>
Food. I've been ok with eating old floppy disks that I can't use with my IBM T41. What? USB Floppy Drive? No! They're too tasty... :lol:
&lt;/sarcasm>
Anyways, I've found that in order to feed my X30, I haven't been getting as many games for my PS2, DS, etc.

ctmagnus
01-14-2005, 03:27 AM
Rather than spending $15-$20 per month on magazines that I read once and throw out, I'll spend that money on a good app from Handango or PocketGear.

Ipaq2210
01-14-2005, 07:14 AM
I wonder where all the cash to fuel this growth is coming from

Hmmmm - where IS All the money coming from, thats the same question the wife asks me everytime I come home with a new gadget.

To tell you the truth, it normally involves selling a couple of last years "must haves" on ebay !! :D

jimski
01-14-2005, 07:39 AM
Well, not too happy about the canceled hockey season :bad-words: :agrue: but as a season ticket holder it has certainly increased my gadget budget, at least for this year.

yawanag
01-14-2005, 06:06 PM
What am I giving up? FOOD I can be in the grocery story, grab and item, look at the price and put it back in a minute. But when I'm online and see some app or gadget for my PDA, I manage to find a way without thinking twice about it.

Jonathon Watkins
01-18-2005, 03:44 AM
What am I giving up? FOOD I can be in the grocery story, grab and item, look at the price and put it back in a minute. But when I'm online and see some app or gadget for my PDA, I manage to find a way without thinking twice about it.

Be carefull there Yawanag. We don't want you wasting away now. :wink:

DerekAbney
02-08-2005, 10:58 PM
I want to know who thought it would be slowing down in 2005.

Copter
02-09-2005, 05:37 PM
Wow, that article just pierced all that I thought about the upcoming year. (jk)

Give up? hmm... I usually get these bugs and just have to buy something so it first goes ont he plastic and then eventually it probably does get paid for by eating less. I know someone made a joke earlier, but its true. You just don't buy as much and as expensive food for a couple weeks nad youd be surprised. Obviously money comes from other places too...