View Full Version : Loox 718 Available for Pre-Order

Jonathon Watkins
01-13-2005, 11:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.notebook-eshop.de/shop/index.php?kat_key=06&PHPSESSID=e1a6989ff15684581b241c0049836684' target='_blank'>http://www.notebook-eshop.de/shop/i...b241c0049836684</a><br /><br /></div>Jorlin at firstloox.org has spotted that the Loox 718 (camera-less Loox 720) is now <a href="http://www.notebook-eshop.de/shop/index.php?kat_key=06&amp;PHPSESSID=e1a6989ff15684581b241c0049836684">available for pre-order</a>. The removal of the embedded camera means that the Loox 718 is 20-30 euros cheaper than the Loox 720. How does that sound to you guys? If you are in the market for a VGA PPC, would you prefer the 718 or 720 and why?

marcm
01-14-2005, 02:10 AM
Personally, I prefer to have cameras out of my PDA. This would be appealing to me, but: I'm in Canada, not Europe, and I'm holding off from any PDAs until WM2005... If I want a camera, quick, I can just use the camera on my T616 and BT it over to my PPC :D

gibson042
01-14-2005, 03:09 AM
The removal of the embedded camera means that the Loox 718 is 20-30 euros cheaper than the Loox 720.
This is very interesting, and might I say definitive as well. Not only does FSC consider it profitable to offer models both with and without cameras, but they offer the cameraless version at a significant discount (or should that be "offer the camera version at a significant markup" :wink:). From my perspective, this legitimizes all complaints about units that only come with a camera (not that the opposite would stop anyone...), because it strongly suggests that manufacturing changes are insignificant in comparison to the cost of the camera hardware. Of course, for the same reason it also legitimizes complaints about units that only come without cameras... the demand for embedded cameras being as high as it is and the costs of variability being as low as they apparently are, there is very little reason to offer a consumer PDA without one.

I apologize in advance for the flamefest that will likely ensue, but I feel this had to be pointed out. Everyone arguing for choice just got a big rhetorical boost.

WyattEarp
01-14-2005, 05:27 AM
I like my PDAs cameraless. I'm in to many places that don't allow cameras. It's good that FSC offer both versions; this way everyone is happy in the end. The choice should always be left to the consumer.

jimski
01-14-2005, 07:53 AM
I carry a Casio Exilim in my bag where ever I go. No need for a smaller camera and certainly a much better picture that you will get with a PPC CAM. I do bring it into locations when no cameras are allowed, but I would never even consider taking it out of my bag without asking permission. A much better alternative than my client peering into the little lens on the back of a PPC while I am trying to scribble something down.

NLS
01-14-2005, 10:05 PM
I understand this product existing for markets that won't allow camera devices. For all the rest, the camera (even though it sux) is a nice bonus for 19 euro.

The real use of such a (bad) camera, is to take a quick pictorial "note" or to add quick photos on your contacts. For this it's invaluable.

(having said that 720 camera sux, I HAVE to say that it DOESN'T, given plenty daylight, steady hand and good distance - I believe the problem is focus -semi hardware issue- plus a pure software issue, that I'd like to see rectified in a firmware update)

Adrian Knack
01-17-2005, 10:25 AM
They should have done this from the start. However I'm very happy with my X50v. Having this model on the market at the time would have just complicated matters for me, it was hard enough with the 4 VGA systems... 8O

Jonathon Watkins
01-18-2005, 02:36 AM
They should have done this from the start. However I'm very happy with my X50v. Having this model on the market at the time would have just complicated matters for me, it was hard enough with the 4 VGA systems... 8O

Agreed, but we'll soon see more VGA devices. Choice - we Love it! 8)