View Full Version : Calgary weather......Ack!

Deemo
01-13-2005, 04:01 AM
Only 8:00PM and the thermometer on the side of the window outside says it's -35 C.
Might break the damn thing tonight 8O

Jeff Rutledge
01-13-2005, 05:50 AM
Only 8:00PM and the thermometer on the side of the window outside says it's -35 C.
Might break the damn thing tonight 8O

Tell me about it. And to make it worse, I have to go into the office tomorrow! :(

I usually work from home, but have to go in every now and then (and it's usually my choice). Unfortunately something came up and I have to be on site. Of all the days...

Janak Parekh
01-13-2005, 05:56 AM
How common is that kind of weather in Calgary? Sounds more Winnipeg fare to me. 8O

(As a footnote, you should be using Fahrenheit. At least the numbers are generally higher so it doesn't sound as cold. :P)

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I have no right to complain about New York winters in this context.

--janak

Jeff Rutledge
01-13-2005, 06:05 AM
How common is that kind of weather in Calgary? Sounds more Winnipeg fare to me. 8O
Not that common. I actually find the weather in Calgary fairly moderate. We get a cold snap every now and again (usually not this long and usually not this cold), but a Chinook (http://www.mountainnature.com/Climate/Chinook.htm)usually breezes in within 2-3 weeks and gives us a respite. This cold snap is nasty though, plus the wind chill is very high.

(As a footnote, you should be using Fahrenheit. At least the numbers are generally higher so it doesn't sound as cold. :P)

Actually, -35 celsius is equal to -31 Fahrenheit. :lol:

Janak Parekh
01-13-2005, 06:09 AM
Actually, -35 celsius is equal to -31 Fahrenheit. :lol:
At least it's 4 degrees "warmer" (a better way of saying "higher"). ;)

--janak

Deemo
01-13-2005, 06:16 AM

--janak

Actually, at -40C it is the same as -40F....as it is now after 10:00....we are almost there so it doesn't matter.
I have a pic of the thermometer but to late to frig with posting.
Off to bed under lots of covers as the house keeps creaking 8O

Janak Parekh
01-13-2005, 06:21 AM
Actually, at -40C it is the same as -40F....as it is now after 10:00....we are almost there so it doesn't matter.
I know. I guess weather.com is "lying"; they claim -25F. ;) In any case, I assume you guys don't encounter -40C that often. 8O

--janak

Mitch D
01-13-2005, 06:56 AM
I know. I guess weather.com is "lying"; they claim -25F. ;) In any case, I assume you guys don't encounter -40C that often. 8O

--janak

Thankfully... No not often but it has happened... :(

Darius Wey
01-13-2005, 06:57 AM

They always lie. It's always 4C warmer than what they report. :|

dlangton
01-13-2005, 07:25 AM
You gotta look at the bright side - it'll kill the mosquitoes.

Darius Wey
01-13-2005, 07:27 AM
You gotta look at the bright side - it'll kill the mosquitoes.

Not if the heat doesn't fry me first. ;)

Deemo
01-13-2005, 03:24 PM
Here it is this morning in the lovely ice fog.
This doesn't include wind chill.
We are in Springbank which doesn't get the city heat trap effect.
A picture is worth a thousand words.....
http://www.members.shaw.ca/geoconsultant/cold.JPG

Janak Parekh
01-13-2005, 04:29 PM
A picture is worth a thousand words.....
http://www.members.shaw.ca/geoconsultant/cold.JPG
:eek: I don't think they sell thermometers in NY that go that far down.

Darius has the opposite problem of us Northerners. Let's go lynch him. ;)

--janak

p.s. This may sound like a stupid question, but how does it feel in -40C weather? The coldest I think I've ever been in is -1F/-18C, and you don't notice that much difference from that and, say, 10F/-12C.

marcm
01-14-2005, 12:11 AM
:rotfl:
The temperature reached 19 degrees celcius in Toronto today... :D It'll be back down to -8 tomorrow though... :cry: Still warmer than Calgary... :lol:

55Kevy
01-14-2005, 12:57 AM
Ahh, yes... the cold snaps of Calgary. I remember walking to work during the winter of '91 in minus-70 windchill. I lived in Sunnyside and crossed the Bow at the footbridge opposite the curling club. This was before all the development at Bow Island (or whatever it's called) and I couldn't get to a plus-15 until the Canterra building. But as Jeff pointed out, a Chinook blew in and all was well in a few days.

Kevy

Darius Wey
01-14-2005, 02:21 AM
p.s. This may sound like a stupid question, but how does it feel in -40C weather? The coldest I think I've ever been in is -1F/-18C, and you don't notice that much difference from that and, say, 10F/-12C.

It's not terribly different. The temperature itself is not the worry, but it's the wind (and snow pelting your face) that's the problem. In those circumstances, it's best to cover up. :)

Janak Parekh
01-14-2005, 06:06 AM
It's not terribly different.
What's the coldest you've been in? :P

I asked a Chicagoan friend of mine; they at least have more experience with this than me. From what he said, below, say, -10F your face actually burns with the cold wind.

--janak

dlangton
01-14-2005, 06:28 AM
We do get down to -40° here in Wisconsin on occasion (not right now, thank God.) You don't really notice much difference, for instance, when the temperature drops from -20°F to -40°. Heck, I've worked outside for extended periods at -35°F. However, when the temperature climbs from
-40° to -20°, it feels like spring has arrived. You really don't want to mess around with -50 weather; there are a lot of material changes that occur, particularly with mechanical devices.

Darius Wey
01-14-2005, 06:54 AM
It's not terribly different.
What's the coldest you've been in? :P

We've discussed this before. ;) Around -30C. I liked it. :mrgreen:

Janak Parekh
01-14-2005, 05:18 PM
We've discussed this before. ;) Around -30C. I liked it. :mrgreen:
Yeah, sorry, I forgot. You're such a freak. :P

--janak

dMores
01-14-2005, 05:39 PM
*sigh* aaah. canadian weather. canada, how i miss thee.

in austria (europe, not the cangaroo austria :)) temperatures rarely drop below the freezing point.
and strangely, i didn't have a problem with -30 degrees (celsius) back in montreal, but here, once it's like +5 or something like that, i freezy my heiny off.
might have been the "hormones-of-youth" or something similar, but i loved opening the front door to get the paper (actually, dig it out from under a ton of snow) and inhaling deeply, freezing my lungs and enjoying the sun on my face while the cold took my breath away.

http://crafterscommunity.com/forum/images/smiley_icons/CANADA.gif oooooh caaaaaanadaaaaaa ...

:)

Kati Compton
01-14-2005, 08:30 PM
Yeah - here it's 1F (-17C), but there's a low of -5F (-20C).

Earlier today they predicted a Sunday of -15F, but they seemed to have backed off on that now.

The difference between -5F plus windy and 10F with no wind is whether or not your face burns and your hands crack if you take off your gloves.

Kati Compton
01-14-2005, 08:30 PM
Anyone stuck their tongue to a flagpole yet today? :P :twisted:

ctmagnus
01-14-2005, 09:33 PM
I was in Banff yesterday. -35C, but it felt warmer than the -17C we had here. Wind is killer when it gets that cold.

Darius Wey
01-15-2005, 07:42 AM
Yeah, sorry, I forgot. You're such a freak. :P

:silly:

JustinGTP
01-15-2005, 10:15 PM
Hey Deemo,

Do you live in Springbank? I do :) It is always 5 degrees or more colder outside of the city limits!

This weather is so cold, we are all glad when it goes from -40 to -35 :lol:

-Justin.

dean_shan
01-17-2005, 09:31 PM
Oh I feel so sorry for your guys. :roll: It has been -35F all week and dropping to -48F every couple of days. -30C? What's that? Weak! :wink:

JustinGTP
01-17-2005, 11:42 PM
We have had -37C (-34F) most of this past week. (And with windchill, -41C (-42F))

So, it is close. And that is cold especially when you are in a big city (unlike your arctic land with absolutely no one within miles :lol:

maximus
01-18-2005, 01:46 AM
Ah ... and we have a warm and cozy +30 degrees celcius down here in Indonesia, with slight rain, higher level of CO2 and lots of pollution. :mrgreen:

Roosterman
01-18-2005, 02:31 AM
I was just watching the news and they were talking about Embarrass, MN. They hit an official -54 F today. Embarrass is in northeastern part of the state. Is there any way to turn this weather back at the border? Maybe we need to get the Dept of Homeland Security to look into it as illegal imigration. :D

dean_shan
01-18-2005, 03:22 AM
Ah ... and we have a warm and cozy +30 degrees celcius down here in Indonesia, with slight rain, higher level of CO2 and lots of pollution. :mrgreen:

Yeah I think I'll take the cold.

Darius Wey
01-18-2005, 05:30 AM

Okay, now I'm jealous. It was 40C here. :(