View Full Version : PocketPC, for me?

Branny
01-13-2005, 01:14 AM
Hello there,

I've been snooping around these boards for a while, and been looking at various sites about the PocketPC - and I've grown more and more interested in the concept of lugging around a 'PC' in my pocket.

The reason I'd use one would have to be that I can make "clean" notes, do a little development between busy hours, and last but not least: carry around a library with all my needed texts/code.

The question is, what PocketPC would be best for me? Or do I totally miss the concept of a PocketPC? 8O
If I had to give my green-behind-the-ears opinion the Loox 720 looks very very nice, but why don't I just list my specific needs:

- Possibility to type in things fluently/fast, preferably a little keyboard like I saw on the Samsung i730 preview. (or *isn't* that a faster way of getting in information?)
I have no idea how a PocketPC handles :|

- Possibly a nice screen, VGA, comfortable to look at ( + the ability to read it in the dark)

- The ability to code (C/C++ will do, Java would be a good addition, also been looking if maybe I could run BlueBottle/Oberon but that needs its own partition + an Intel 32-bit architecture... Intel XScale PXA272 like on the Loox 720 wont match that profile I suppose? Again, I don't know a thing about PocketPCs so please forgive my ignorance :) )

- A good word processor, creating PDFs would also be very nice.

- Bluetooth is pretty much a standard nowadays so that wont be a problem.

- And maybe as an added bonus the ability to use GPS

I've looked around for PocketPCs with phone support but those seem, well, too "phone-y" for my kind of purposes. If you catch my drift.

So, what would you advise me to get?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Branny

surur
01-13-2005, 08:41 AM
Pocketpc's ar-nt pc's (I guess the name is misleading). They are not code compatible with x86, therefore coding on them for that platform will not be possible. Its a completely different OS, and primarily designed for use on the go.

The Loox is a lovely device, but it sounds like your need one of the new really small pc's like the OQO or the sony u50/70 which are full, shrunken down windows xp laptops.

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28713&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=sony+touch+screen

Besides the coding a pocketpc can do everything else you want, especially GPS and typing documents, and with USB host you can use any USB keyboard to type.

Surur

Menneisyys
01-13-2005, 09:05 AM
As Surur said: if you want to do any development on-the-go, forget Pocket PC's. Apart from some scaled-down toys, there're no progamming language compiler implementattions for the PPC. You can have access to a much wider selection of compilers even when running the C64 / MS-DOS emulator (meaning: non-native code) on it than with its native (toy-level) "programming languages".

As far as PDF creation is concerned: it's impossible when it comes to native implementations. I've started trying to make Java-language PDF creatr libbraries run under Jeode; so far, without little success ( see http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8019 ).

Pocket PC's are more like TOYS for hi-tech geeks with some excellent capabilities (e.g., book reading on the go, digital iphoto wallet functionality, Web access etc.), but, indeed, pretty good at that :)

surur
01-13-2005, 09:43 AM
Check out http://www.handtops.com/

Warning - prepare for sticker shock ;)

Surur

Branny
01-13-2005, 05:00 PM
Hmm, I see.

Well the handhelds are definatly out of the question - my heart hasn't quite started beating yet after seeing the price tags. :roll:

But well, I made my proposals, you guys told me whats (not) possible - so lets compromise :wink:

I see that SSH is included, so that'll at least keep me busy!
The PDFs arent necesary, so I'd be able to live with just documents :) (I will be able to merge pictures in the documents, yes?)

Well, I'm willing to give it a go.
I've been looking around and locally the only brands being sold are iPaq and the Palm brands (Tungsten, etc)
Which would be best for my purposes? Worth ordering the Loox?

Thanks for the replies!

Regards,
Branny

Menneisyys
01-13-2005, 05:06 PM
Well, I'm willing to give it a go.
I've been looking around and locally the only brands being sold are iPaq and the Palm brands (Tungsten, etc)
Which would be best for my purposes? Worth ordering the Loox?

Depends. The Loox is a decent machine with some functionality that isn't present in the hx4700 (the only iPAQ worth buying IMHO, because of the VGA screen): USB host, tolerable cursor pad, 128M RAM, jog dial, camera, CIR. However, it only has a 3.6" screen, as opposed to iPAQ's 4" screen. Also, it "only" has a 520 MHz CPU.

Unfortunately, in the States, the Loox is almost as expensive as the hx4700 and its serviceability (in the States) MAY be worse, because it's a European product.

You may also want to have a look at the Asus A730(w), the Dell Axim x50v or the Toshiba e830 too.

If you don't plan/want to buy a VGA device, you may also want to consider getting a Palm T3+ (machines with HiRes+ screens). They have great screens with only a bit worse color reproduction (and even better viewing angle!) than the hx4700/Pocket Loox 720.

Branny
01-13-2005, 05:30 PM
Depends. The Loox is a decent machine with some functionality that isn't present in the hx4700 (the only iPAQ worth buying IMHO, because of the VGA screen): USB host, tolerable cursor pad, 128M RAM, jog dial, camera, CIR. However, it only has a 3.6" screen, as opposed to iPAQ's 4" screen. Also, it "only" has a 520 MHz CPU.

You may also want to have a look at the Asus A730(w), the Dell Axim x50v or the Toshiba e830 too.

If you don't plan/want to buy a VGA device, you may also want to consider getting a Palm T3+ (machines with HiRes+ screens). They have great screens with only a bit worse color reproduction (and even better viewing angle!) than the hx4700/Pocket Loox 720.

Well a USB host is a must, and I prefer a VGA device.
So that cuts out the iPaq and the Palm T3+, the size of the screen, I dont mind too much. As long as the battery runs long and the thing handles acceptably I'll be good.
I read Loox has some issues with how it handles - but considering I live in Europe it might be an idea to go and order that one.
I'll check out the Toshiba and the Asus first though :)

Edit: Oh, I forgot to mention - it's quite important that the thing has a good brightness. I need to be able to read it without peering at it when sitting in the sun. :roll:

Menneisyys
01-13-2005, 06:31 PM
Well a USB host is a must, and I prefer a VGA device.
So that cuts out the iPaq and the Palm T3+, the size of the screen, I dont mind too much. As long as the battery runs long and the thing handles acceptably I'll be good.
I read Loox has some issues with how it handles - but considering I live in Europe it might be an idea to go and order that one.

You're European too? Then, the PL720 is clearly the best PDA for you (prolly the cheapest because of the lack of EU customs, compared to the other VGA devices; local service centers; and you also support the European economy :) )

Edit: Oh, I forgot to mention - it's quite important that the thing has a good brightness. I need to be able to read it without peering at it when sitting in the sun. :roll:

Its outdoor visibility is very good - better than that of previous-generation transflective Pocket PC's / Palms. I've compared its outdoor visibility to both my iPAQ 2210 and my Palm Zire 71, and the PL720 won hands down. This is certainly a very good thing, because the Toshiba e800, the first VGA device, had very bad outdoor visibility so I had been afraid of getting a screen so bad in sunlight as that of my E-125 or my Jornada 680.

Of course, it's not as good in direct sunlight as my iPAQ 3660, but is quite close to it.

Branny
01-13-2005, 11:13 PM
Heh, I went to the local "big computer store" and I asked if they could order me a PL720.
They gave me some cockaninny story about how Fujitsu and Toshiba are fading away from the market and so they dont deal with them anymore...
(mind you the store has almost exclusivly iPaqs, a few Palms and 2 Qteks)

*Sigh* I just thought it was funny how they really cant just say "No sorry, we cant help you with that" but have to start patronizing you :roll:

Time to look around harder :|

surur
01-14-2005, 12:50 AM
cockaninny story about how Fujitsu and Toshiba are fading away from the market and

OK, you MUST be in UK. Order it online from the fsc shop.

Surur

Branny
01-14-2005, 10:41 AM
cockaninny story about how Fujitsu and Toshiba are fading away from the market and

OK, you MUST be in UK. Order it online from the fsc shop.

Surur

Hehe, will do ;)

(Belgium, by the way)

Thanks you 2 for the advice!