View Full Version : Anybody found a short cut to turn the wifi and/or the bluetooth on for the Toshiba e830?

Phillip Dyson
01-11-2005, 08:42 PM
Its too many steps to turn one of the wireless radios on for the Toshiba e830

Settings>> Systems >> Wireless Control

Anybody found the program that controls this so I can add it to PocketPlus?

Dyvim
01-13-2005, 09:49 PM
To map the Wireless Control Panel applet to a device button set the Default string value under the following registry key:

Key = HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\Keys\40C1
Data = "\Windows\WirelessControl.cpl"
(quotes included)

Also need to make sure Flags value = 0 (in case you had this button mapped to an action rather than an exe path)

Change will take effect immediately after the registry is modified (no soft reset necessary).

This will launch the Wireless Control in response to the Calendar app button.

To use a different button, use 40C1 through 40C5 for the 5 app buttons.

Note: If you open Buttons control panel applet under Settings, it will show the default "Calendar" value rather than WirelessControl

Apparently it doesn't like .cpl filenames only .exe's...

Dyvim
01-13-2005, 09:51 PM
...or if you want a shortcut, use File Explorer to browse to \Windows\WirelessControl.cpl and create a shortcut to it. Then place the shortcut in \Windows\Start Menu or \Windows\Start Menu\Programs or wherever else you would like it.

Phillip Dyson
01-14-2005, 03:04 AM
Thanks, the last one was perfect.
I just mapped it to Pocket Plus.

Phillip Dyson
01-14-2005, 01:59 PM
Just an update.

I tried using the short cut that I mapped. When I used it to turn on WiFi, my PDA still didn't seem to recognize that the radio was turned on.

Its weird. The light turns on, but when I try to connect to a network , it still asks me to turn the radio on.

Dyvim
01-14-2005, 02:30 PM
Weird. I just tried it on mine (shortcut is under Start) and it worked to turn on WiFi. Of course you have to click OK before it turns on (unlike the wireless control applet for the iPAQ 5555 which turns on WiFi or BT as soon as you click the On button).

Mitch D
01-14-2005, 06:31 PM
This is one of the reasons that lead me to return the e830 I bought. It is such a pain to either have to surf through the device to turn on the wireless.

PatrickD
01-14-2005, 07:41 PM
I am trying to set up a pen command in Calligrapher. For some reason it doesn't like the WirelessControl.cpl file. I guess because it is not an exe. I can do it using just mouse commands, but it is a bit messy.

Phillip Dyson
01-15-2005, 01:42 AM
Hmm...
The short cut seems to work okay when I turn on the bluetooth radio. But not the WIFI.

I guess I can live with it for now.