View Full Version : Dell Axim and Bent Pins

CDeakin
01-09-2005, 08:09 PM
I have an Axim X3i which worked OK, crashed a lot and seemed unreliable. Anyway purchased a GPS kit and TomTom and proved a nightmare kept crashing whilst driving. Anyway within a week I bent the pins on the Axim. You know whats its like attaching the GPS plug in a dark car. Unaware that the pins were not industrial and well designed I bent them.

I was secondly amazed to find the pins on the Pocket PC were male and you plug in female devices.

To Dell's credit I contacted them and a new axim arrived within days. They did say that this was user caused and therefore they would replace it once and not again.

At last I found an Axim that never crashed, I could not believe it. I went from daily hard resets to none.

I was real careful using the GPS device and plugging it in and out. It lasted 6 weeks and a piece of black pastic fell out one morning.

That night the whole thing bent again, GPS device was useless. Contacted Dell and they refused to help this time as their records said the Service Tag was not registered to me.

Anyway I'm thinking I now have an Axim that will not do the job I want it to do and the only advice is to repair it at $60 or throw it away. Trouble is if I repair it how long will it last next time!

I think I may replace the Axim trouble is all the Dell's have the same weak design.

I've read lots of reviews and no-one seems to include this issue in the reviews. Surely if you are building a device which has to be charged regularly you'd build it with a design which would make the attachment of the charger robust and therefore the attachement of other devices.

So this is a major warning to anyone out there thinking about buying an Axim. I know some people are going to say they've had one for 1 year without issue, but just imagine plugging in a device and not being 100% perfect!

Anyone able to recommend a PDA which has the pins in the plugs rather than the device, eg, more robust!?

marcm
01-11-2005, 03:18 AM
Well, if you are going to use your Pocket PC for GPS a lot, and you don't want to have to worry about the connector pins, you could always get a device with bluetooth, and get a bluetooth GPS. This ensures that there will not be any damage done to the connectors on the bottom of your device, but can be costly. I haven't tried it, but I've heard it works well. There should be reviews of bluetooth GPSes all over the net. Hope this helps!