View Full Version : Best handheld for Ebook reading.

yelp666
01-08-2005, 09:13 PM
Hi all,

I would like to know what's the best handhelp for reading ebooks? I personally think that screen size is the most important factor. What do you think? I found a pretty good device for reading ebooks, however it is not for sale anymore, plus it had it's own specific OS (which kinda sucks). The name of this is/was : GEB1150 or GEB2150.
http://www.gemstar-ebook.com/ebcontent/devices/default.asp/.

So what's the best one for ebooks and why ??
I appreciate any comments.
[/url]

Menneisyys
01-09-2005, 12:25 AM
Hi all,

I would like to know what's the best handhelp for reading ebooks? I personally think that screen size is the most important factor. What do you think? I found a pretty good device for reading ebooks, however it is not for sale anymore, plus it had it's own specific OS (which kinda sucks). The name of this is/was : GEB1150 or GEB2150.
http://www.gemstar-ebook.com/ebcontent/devices/default.asp/.

So what's the best one for ebooks and why ??
I appreciate any comments.
[/url]

1. definitely VGA and definitely PPC (though the palmOne Tungsten T3/t5 have great screen)
2. If you want to read PDF's at their original layout (without using reflowing and/or RepliGo): the larger, the better. So, either the hx4700 or the Toshi e830.
3. if you don't want to read PDF's, then the 3.7/3.6" models (Asus a730(w), PL720, Dell x50v) will also work fine.

tzirbel
01-09-2005, 01:47 AM
The gemstar readers have been given new life by fictionwise. www.ebookwise.com is the site to get them. They basicly bought all the old gem 1150s and are loading a new os and new logo. ebookwise is also in the process of designing their own book reader. If your bent on reading on a pda the larger the screen the better.

Jorgen
01-09-2005, 08:53 AM
If your bent on reading on a pda the larger the screen the better.

Not in practice (unless the text is formatted for paper only as said above).

The smaller the PDA, the better the chance of you always having it in your pocket so you can read a book wherever you are, whenever you have time. So until foldable/rollable thin ePaper become a consumer article (that will take a few years more http://cebooks.blogspot.com/2005_01_01_cebooks_archive.html#110465866741996558), a PDA is best.

When choosing a PDA, I would rather look at the size, the weight and the battery size (or power consumption). I have never had something like the Gemstar as I would think that I even at home after a while will find it too heavy or clumsy.

Jorgen

yelp666
01-09-2005, 10:30 AM
Ok, so which PDA would suit me best?
Thx

dMores
01-09-2005, 10:33 AM
no matter what device you get, you'll have to adapt, and get used to reading on a screen.

i can say be experience, that reading on a 208x320 pixel screen (p900 smartphone) is still enjoyable. and i agree with jorgen. the smaller, the bigger the chance it's in your pocket.
if it happens to be a smartphone like the p900, or a ppc phone like the XDA compact, you'll definately have it on you all the time.

i wouldn't get a device just for ebook reading, i'd get one that does everything you want it to INCLUDING ebook reading.

Jorgen
01-10-2005, 08:36 AM
i'd get one that does everything you want it to INCLUDING ebook reading.
Don't they all do the same (wireless capabilities aside)? :)

Since I use my PPCs mainly for ebook-reading, I would prefer one with a up/down control on the side to change pages - this really makes the difference. The good old hp-548 has a very nice one (better than the hp-568). This said - if you don't use the record button, you can program that button to do a pagedown.

Jorgen

dMores
01-10-2005, 10:14 AM
what came to my mind were those ebook readers, that are, in essence, basic PDAs with limited PDA capabilities. franklin, or whatever they're called.
(ebookwise now has their own devices, too)

a scroll-wheel or scroll buttons are very handy. i love it on my p900, i also had a fake scroll wheel on my pocket loox (it looked like a wheel, but acted like a button :)) and it made reading in bed just so much easier, because when you need to scroll with the d-pad, you end up balancing the pda in your hand in a strange way.
i frequently hear a *bump* when my girlfriend drops her iMate onto the mattress because it slipped out of her hand due to the d-pad scrolling.

if you're looking for a small PDA, my suggestion would be an iPAQ 19xx or 43xx. they don't have a scroll wheel or scroll buttons, but they're very small and handy compared to a lot of other PDAs.

Jorgen
01-10-2005, 11:37 AM
because when you need to scroll with the d-pad, you end up balancing the pda in your hand in a strange way.

Yes, it is a matter of balance. I have a Palm Tungsten T (the first one) and the PDA is so well balanced when I use the d-pad with the thumb that there is no need for up/down scroll buttons on this machine. It is a great ebook reader.

Jorgen

tzirbel
01-13-2005, 02:57 AM
I originally got a pda (Casio e11) just for reading. The scroll wheel was very nice and the device fit well in my Mickey-Mouse like hands. As time went on I started to use it for more and more things. Reading, pda functions, checkbook, games, etc... Now I'm on my 6th pda, (ipaq 1945) and I find that the size and function do make a difference. Your going to use the device for more than just reading sooner or later. The screen size, after some adjustment, does not really matter. (My wife with her rocket-ebook, convinced me to say otherwise before. Sorry.)
Pick a pda which will work for you overall. The size, feel, software available, price range, etc...

Jorgen
01-13-2005, 08:47 AM
My wife with her rocket-ebook, convinced me to say otherwise before. Sorry.

Women and cats will do as they please.
Men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-- Robert A. Heinlein

Apart from these wise words, something the same size and weight as a paperback would be ideal: a foldable wireless display with eInk connecting to a PDA like thing in your pocket. The technology exists so it is "only" a matter of making it into a consumer article.

Jorgen

yelp666
01-13-2005, 09:11 AM
Yeah, they started to sell those in Japan in September.

http://www.japan-direct.com/cartitem.asp?prodid=552

Can't wait to put my hands on these bad boys :D.
But it'll take around 2 years to be competaly public and affordable.[/url]

Jorgen
01-13-2005, 09:40 AM
The Librie looks gorgeous but is too big to have in a shirt pocket.

Jorgen

Ripper014
01-13-2005, 07:56 PM
If we are talking strictly reading ebooks... and pocketpc's then I would suggest as was mentioned above the Toshiba e800 series... I have the e830... and the large screen in true vga makes it a wonderful reading experience. This unit gives you a the largest display and is still small enough to carry around.

By the way... I noticed that it is roughly the same width as my Hp2210 and it is thinner... the only thing is that it is longer... and a little heavier... which is fine by me. It makes it feel somewhat more solid, it does not feel like it is made of cheap plastic.

The thing that makes me choose it over the Hx4700 that was mentioned is the jog wheel something I really missed when I gave up my Casio E-125, I think that anyone who had one would know what I am talking about. This makes for easy reading...

You do need realatively good eyesight to read in true vga and small fonts though...

drop
01-13-2005, 08:54 PM
I am painfully aware of the missing scroll wheel on my X50v whenever I read ebooks. The scroll wheel made ebook reading a single finger operation on the X5.

I did remap the two side buttons on X50v to scroll up and down. But it is not the same as scroll wheel. The auto scroll in Mobipocket Reader helps a bit. But scroll wheel offers greater control.

Oh well, X50v is still an awesome PPC. Just like the other poster said, "Adapt".

Jorgen
01-14-2005, 08:51 AM
drop, the record button is usually in the right place for a pagedown. I reprogrammed it on my h1910.

Jorgen

Faenad
02-14-2005, 02:06 PM
I read a lot of ebooks, and as far as I am concerned the size of the screen does matter... and the resolution as well.
I previously used an Ipaq 1940. It's great advantage was its small form factor.
But since I upgraded to an Toshiba e800, i wouldn't go back.

The e800 is bigger but still pocketable, and has a superb screen. Upgrading from the 1940 to the e800 was like upgrading from an old 15" monitor to a 19" flat.

Thanks to the VGA resolution, the fonts are very sharp, when they were fuzzy on the 1940. And the screen is noticeably bigger (4", when most others devices are 3.5"). I can display like 200% more text on a same page, whith a superior comfort. (I use µBook reader)
The e800 battery also last longer, and this unit have a scroll wheel. I used the record button on the 1940, and I consider that a scroll wheel is more useable. I remapped the e800 record button to a dictionnary.

I would say that the e800/e830 are the best units for ebook reading on the market. The ipaq HX4700 would be second, as the only other unit having a 4" screen, but lacking a scroll wheel.

As for a more general approach, i think reader of the size of a PPC are perfect. I use mine with a leather case, and the feeling of the unit is very similar of the feeling I have with expensive leather-covered book.

Proprietary ebook reader are generaly bigger, and have monochromous screen. They may be cheaper, but a PPC is more value for money, as you have far more usage. I'd like to listen classical music while reading, for example, or to have a quick acces to word definitions as I seldom read ebook in my mother language. I will not mention all the no-ebook reading related others PPC usage. And you can find pretty good deal on the e800 nowadays.

Islanti
02-14-2005, 06:30 PM
After mapping the record button on the hx4700 to "Page Down", it's much more usable as an ebook reader.

Further, the touchpad is usable if you crank DOWN the default sensitivity.