View Full Version : Syncing in an internet-cafe: How?

Spenser
01-08-2005, 11:37 AM
Internet-cafes normally don't allow you to install any software (e.g. ActiveSync) and if you are lucky you have access to an USB-Port.
Is there any chance to sync your avantgo-content with your - let's say - iPAQ 4700 via USB?
Any ideas?
Thank you.
Spenser

Menneisyys
01-08-2005, 12:19 PM
Internet-cafes normally don't allow you to install any software (e.g. ActiveSync) and if you are lucky you have access to an USB-Port.
Is there any chance to sync your avantgo-content with your - let's say - iPAQ 4700 via USB?
Any ideas?
Thank you.
Spenser

Via USB, it's not possible with the hx4700, because you DO need ActiveSync on the desktop for any kind of USB connection (e.g., internet sharing in this case). You need to use some kind of wireless network. If there's no Wi-Fi in the cafe, subscribe to GPRS.

There MAY be a solution, however, with a card reader. You just run an AvantGo syncher on the web (e.g., your work computer), it ZIPs the avantgo files for you and sends it over via HTTP and you just decompress it into the target directory. It's not as simple as with Mobipocket and other, much more open protocols/file formats, but prolly can be done with some serious hacking.

Spenser
01-08-2005, 12:39 PM
It's not as simple as with Mobipocket and other, much more open protocols/file formats, but prolly can be done with some serious hacking.
Hmm. Mobipocket would be nice and sufficient, too. How would I do this?

AvantGo: I hoped there was a Sync-SW, which I could load temporarily from an USB-Stick.

Menneisyys
01-08-2005, 12:44 PM
It's not as simple as with Mobipocket and other, much more open protocols/file formats, but prolly can be done with some serious hacking.
Hmm. Mobipocket would be nice and sufficient, too. How would I do this?

Check out http://www.mobipocket.com/en/HomePage/default.asp . I also PM you the address of my additional web grabber library, made mainly for Mobipocket's MWC tool.

AvantGo: I hoped there was a Sync-SW, which I could load temporarily from an USB-Stick.

I will check it some time; unfortunately, when (some 1.5-2 years ago) I tried to reverse-engineer the AvantGo file format, I wasn't able to. So, if there're no other hacks/tools and/or no official support for separate download, it may be pretty hard to write one (unlike is the case with most other PPC-based reader formats, which have either open formats (ZIP / Palm DOC) or very-easy-to-understand ones (Mobi XDOC).

It is, of course, an assumption - it was a long ago that I tried to 'hack' (so that I can produce it myself) the AvantGo file format. It may have been changed in the meantime and/or 3rd party tools may exist for it.

surur
01-08-2005, 02:04 PM
Would it not arguably be simpler via wireless hotspot. Alternatively, if you had access to a USB port, to install a USB wifi dongle and sync wirelessly over an adhoc connection?

Surur

Spenser
01-08-2005, 02:43 PM
Would it not arguably be simpler via wireless hotspot. Alternatively, if you had access to a USB port, to install a USB wifi dongle and sync wirelessly over an adhoc connection?
Surur

I was refering to an hotel on the canary islands where I will be going to in February. I know for sure that there is no wireless hotspot.
I haven't got a USB wifi dongle, but what I have got is a USB Bluetooth dongle. But what I doubt is, that I will be able to connect it to the PC without explicit drivers.
If I owned a USB wifi dongle: how can an internet-connection be achieved ? Will it be restricted by passwords etc ? Has anybody tried this before?

Menneisyys
01-08-2005, 02:55 PM
Surur

I was refering to an hotel on the canary islands where I will be going to in February. I know for sure that there is no wireless hotspot.
I haven't got a USB wifi dongle, but what I have got is a USB Bluetooth dongle. But what I doubt is, that I will be able to connect it to the PC without explicit drivers.
If I owned a USB wifi dongle: how can an internet-connection be achieved ? Will it be restricted by passwords etc ? Has anybody tried this before?

Most probably it won't work because

1, you have to install its drivers

2, you won't have the rights to configure the desktop machine to share its Internet connection.

The best solution is purchasing a pre-paid, GPRS-capable SIM card as soon as you arrive at there. I don't think local GSM operators don't have any.

Glohamar
01-08-2005, 08:00 PM
Any ideas?
Thank you.
Spenser

I am going to figure that the internet cafe has wireless (802.11b) and if the only thing you want to do is sync AvantGo, then try this...

Start --> Settings --> Connetions tab --> AvantGo Connect --> tap Sync All.

That will sync AvantGo over wifi without having to be synced with a PC or anything else. I do this at home. Much faster than ActiveSync.

Hope I understood your question correctly.

Spenser
01-18-2005, 01:40 PM
I am going to figure that the internet cafe has wireless (802.11b) and if the only thing you want to do is sync AvantGo, then try this...
I know for sure that there is No WLAN available. Only 1 USB-Connection on one of the PCs.

Menneisyys
01-18-2005, 01:49 PM
I know for sure that there is No WLAN available. Only 1 USB-Connection on one of the PCs.

Then, get a pre-paid GPRS-capable SIM card as soon as you arrive there. Even foreigners can buy them.

Spenser
01-24-2005, 01:39 PM
Then, get a pre-paid GPRS-capable SIM card as soon as you arrive there. Even foreigners can buy them.

No. I finally found a small program which can be started (without installation) from a cf-card or usb-stick: "WinHTTrack".

Here is the link: http://www.tinyapps.org/internet.html

Wildchild121007
01-25-2005, 02:48 PM
Could you plz tell me if there are any internet sites selling pre-paid GPRS-capable SIM , thanks.

Spenser
01-26-2005, 12:48 PM
Could you plz tell me if there are any internet sites selling pre-paid GPRS-capable SIM , thanks.

Which Country? Germany?