View Full Version : Bluetooth Headphone Player Compatibility

jimski
01-08-2005, 02:26 AM
I finally got my HP Bluetooth Headphones and was surprised when my preferred music player, Simple Tunes, would not play a note. I just hear clicking sounds on my hx4705 when in the application. As soon as I turn off Bluetooth, music starts playing just fine through the PPC's speaker. Although these phones need plently of memory to run, I have the PPC Techs 128MB RAM upgrade, so even with 34MB of Program Memory in use, I have another 40+MB's allocated.

Windows Media Player appears to work OK, although I am hearing that annoying interference (click) every 10-15 seconds. Pocket MVP appeared to work better (no interference), although I think the battery ran dry (I thought I fully charged it) right at the start of the second song in a playlist. The Pocket MVP screen seems to have been disabled while the music played (couldn't tap on anything) so it's not that compatible.

I already tried loading the most recent version of Simple Tunes and sent an email but don't expect any quick fixes. So can anyone tell me, based on their personal experience, of any good music players that work with these headphones. Don't care that much about the headphones controlling the player, except for maybe the volume. Guess I will be doing some software shopping tonight.

jimski
01-08-2005, 07:28 AM
Well I tried installing Pocket Player and the sound comes through near perfect on the HP Bluetooth headphones. No pops and cracks like I was experiencing with Windows Media Player. And now I am only using between 10-15% CPU resources where WMP was running around 30-35%.

Unfortunately, only the volume controls on the headphones are active (no pause, forward or back control) but the sound is crisp and clear. Think I found a winner. :wink:

Sven Johannsen
01-08-2005, 06:43 PM
Unfortunately, only the volume controls on the headphones are active (no pause, forward or back control) but the sound is crisp and clear. Think I found a winner. :wink:

Interestingly enough, I would expect the volume control to work with any application. It appears to pick the sound off of the device before it gets to any on device controls. Mine pick up screen taps, and any audio generated by any application. Even in Media player though, neither the system volume in the start bar, nor the MP volume have any effect on the volume at the headset. It appears the headset is controlling it's own volume, not the PPC volume.

Probably the sound programs that don't work well, grab the sound at a different point, or are using a different method (software-wise).

jimski
01-09-2005, 04:20 AM
Probably the sound programs that don't work well, grab the sound at a different point, or are using a different method (software-wise).

That makes some sense. The Bluetooth Headphones do control their own volume. When raising and lowering, the PPC volume does not move. And come to think of it, Simple Tunes (the music app that just ticks, no sound through hadphones) does something to control volume also. Even with PPC volume an MAX, I could still raise Simple Tunes volume another 50% or so.

Thanks for the reply.