View Full Version : Activesync 3.8 Released

Jonathon Watkins
01-07-2005, 01:15 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d2645c21-8a85-45a2-8d13-653beb6cdddc&DisplayLang=en' target='_blank'>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...&DisplayLang=en</a><br /><br /></div>We've just had word that Activesync 3.8 has just been released. You can get it <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d2645c21-8a85-45a2-8d13-653beb6cdddc&amp;DisplayLang=en">here.</a> There's no word on what this fixes and the included "Readme.doc" file only refers to Activesync version 3.7. So, who will be first to take the plunge and see how this works in practise? 8)<br /><br /><b>Update by Janak:</b> Straight from Microsoft: "ActiveSync 3.8 contains a set of security enhancements that provide a more secure syncing experience with a Windows PC, specifically:<br /><li> Windows XP SP2 security pop up warnings that appear the first time a Windows Mobile devices is docked have been eliminated<br /><li> Remote PC Sync (via Wifi or LAN) is turned off by default. However, users can turn this functionality back on." Therefore, I wouldn't bother installing it if the current version of AS is working for you -- this is more useful for installs on a new PC.

aroma
01-07-2005, 01:20 PM
Downloading now...

acetuk
01-07-2005, 01:41 PM
Downloaded... installed without a hitch... just waiting for my laptop to reboot.

(Crossing fingers at the moment!)

aroma
01-07-2005, 01:48 PM
Well... installed fined. Synced fine. Nothing to see here. :roll:

kiwiruss
01-07-2005, 01:49 PM
doesnt look anything different from 3.7.1.

runs the same and acts the same.

acetuk
01-07-2005, 01:50 PM
Ok... nothing obvious is different.

My PPC sync'd again to my laptop with no problems via a travel sync cable - I had no errors or unsync'd files before and nothing after.

A very quick look through the options didn't suggest anything major added.

So far so good... I'd be interested in knowing what has been updated.

Bruno Figueiredo
01-07-2005, 01:50 PM
Just installed it. Seems faster.

2 new things I noticed (not sure if they were there already):

- Pass-Through (what the hell is that)?
- Ability to export the PIM databases to Access.

DaleReeck
01-07-2005, 02:12 PM
If you are using an AvantGo version other than the default v3.3, you must reinstall it. I had to reinstall AvantGo v5.7.

Ed Hansberry
01-07-2005, 02:13 PM
Just installed it. Seems faster.

2 new things I noticed (not sure if they were there already):

- Pass-Through (what the h-ll is that)?
- Ability to export the PIM databases to Access.
Both were there. Passthrough allows your PPC to access the internet via your desktop when connected. Exporting is for .mdb files, not PIM databases. Passthrough was put in for AS 3.1 or 3.5 (Pocket PC 2002) and the import/export databases has been there since 3.0.

Phillip Dyson
01-07-2005, 02:23 PM
Hmm...

I don't know maybe this is a welcome update.

But does this mean that Activesync 4.0 and WM2005 are NOT as close as we thought (translated: hoped)? :cry:

piperpilot
01-07-2005, 03:46 PM
Trying to install the updated version has been an unmitigated DISASTER for me. :evil: Keep getting the following error message:

"Setup could not copy the file c:\Documents and Settings\Jhilliard\Local Settings\Temp\IXP011.TMP\core\inf\wceubsh.cat (Copy error - 1). Restart your computer and run set up again."

I checked my c: drive for the file it's trying to copy and there is no such file. That's why I keep getting the error. Any suggestions?

shawnc
01-07-2005, 04:03 PM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I seem to be one of the few people who have had no problems with AS. And now that I sync my Avantgo content wirelessly, I'm not taking any chances :| .

iant54
01-07-2005, 04:12 PM
Installed with no problem at all on my work PC. It hasn't solved my little bugbear of an unreconcilable unreconciled Calendar item - which our Outlook support spent an hour and a half with me on the 'phone and via remote access trying to fix!

ChrisW
01-07-2005, 04:18 PM
little bugbear of an unreconcilable unreconciled Calendar item

I've got one of those. One of the things MS really needs to fix is to actually show us which item is having problems. I know that my unreconciled item is some time in the past, so I'd be willing to delete it if I could find it.

draiken
01-07-2005, 04:24 PM
I got a calendar, an e-mail and 8 file errors during sync after upgrading, I decided to delete the partnership and re-establishing it again. It fixed my problem with the first sync.

Remember to delete the profile folders so ActiveSync will let you keep your device name:
C:\Documents and Settings\&lt;UserName>\Program Data\Microsoft\ActiveSync\Profiles

jamisonw
01-07-2005, 04:44 PM
Can't believe they release ANOTHER VERSION WITHOUT PUBLIC FOLDER SYNC! Ridiculous. Palm could do that last century. Some of us need to share public contacts and would like to have them on the device too.

acetuk
01-07-2005, 04:47 PM
I sometimes get those calender errors - my solution is a little extreme but works for me.

I work on the assumption that my PPC is always the most up-to-date holder of data I have. With that in mind I will delete all of the calender entries in Outlook, delete the partnership in activesync and recreate it.

That way the calender should be resync'd correct.

I've only had to do this a few times and it has always worked out for me in the end.

emuelle1
01-07-2005, 04:53 PM

I've got one of those. One of the things MS really needs to fix is to actually show us which item is having problems. I know that my unreconciled item is some time in the past, so I'd be willing to delete it if I could find it.

That would be nice. I was beating my head against the wall trying to get an appointment to work. It turned out that both my device and my work computer need to be synced.

I have 3.8 downloaded, but I had to put in a trouble ticket because it requires admin access. I don't have that on this job. Doh. I'm waiting for our computer guy to come by. Hopefully I can get it set up at home without a hitch.

Rob Borek
01-07-2005, 05:21 PM
Trying to install the updated version has been an unmitigated DISASTER for me. :evil: Keep getting the following error message:

"Setup could not copy the file c:\Documents and Settings\Jhilliard\Local Settings\Temp\IXP011.TMP\core\inf\wceubsh.cat (Copy error - 1). Restart your computer and run set up again."

I checked my c: drive for the file it's trying to copy and there is no such file. That's why I keep getting the error. Any suggestions?

Look to see if you have a bunch of 0-byte files in the C:\Windows\inf (or c:\winnt\inf) directory - this error is usually caused by a bunch of 0-byte files (usually created by one of the Norton/Symantec programs) clogging the inf directory.

piperpilot
01-07-2005, 05:29 PM
Look to see if you have a bunch of 0-byte files in the C:\Windows\inf (or c:\winnt\inf) directory - this error is usually caused by a bunch of 0-byte files (usually created by one of the Norton/Symantec programs) clogging the inf directory.

I only had one such file in the c:\winnt\inf directory

karinatwork
01-07-2005, 05:51 PM
Hmmmm... hopefully it's going to fix my little problem with my desktop crashing every time I put my ppc in the cradle!!! :?

stevew
01-07-2005, 05:55 PM
I think I'll pass on the update. It's working fine for me now and with no obvious additional "features" in the update I'm not taking any chances.

Sully
01-07-2005, 06:05 PM

I had this problem with 3.7.1 and could not find a fix. After I purchased my 4700 it would not work without 3.7.1 so I re-installed windows, sucks I know but it was due, and it installed. Think I might pass also.

kittyoneil
01-07-2005, 06:23 PM
I installed AS 3.8 no problem in XP. It fixed a problem I'd been having with task syncing with Outlook '03. Though I had set the 'only incomplete' option, all completed tasks were abandoned on my iPaq. If I deleted them, they were deleted from both the iPaq and Outlook. It was a tad frustrating, but now it's solved....

Onto new problems...

Ed Hansberry
01-07-2005, 06:40 PM
Can't believe they release ANOTHER VERSION WITHOUT PUBLIC FOLDER SYNC! Ridiculous. Palm could do that last century. Some of us need to share public contacts and would like to have them on the device too.
That would require work on Pocket PCs too. You'd have to set up additional databases and a UI that could handle items that go in a Public Folder. That isn't an ActiveSync limitation as much as a Windows Mobile design issue, which includes the Pocket PC and ActiveSync.

robert_biggs
01-07-2005, 06:43 PM
Are you guys unistalling your previous version of ActiveSync before installing v3.8?

emuelle1
01-07-2005, 06:47 PM
I didn't. I had to get admin to install, so I just had it installed over the top of 3.7.1. It worked without a glitch at all. So far, the only change I've found (and I looked) is that when you go to Help>About Microsoft ActiveSuck it says Version 3.8. That's all I can find.

PR.
01-07-2005, 06:51 PM
Installed ok and the file errorI had all the time has gone but so far every time I have synced my Server ActiveSync crashes AS on the PPC :(

cteel2004
01-07-2005, 07:19 PM
I managed to get through the install without incident. However when I rebooted it got some memory errors.

I did notice that it reset the file conversion filters back to the factory defaults though.

surur
01-07-2005, 07:31 PM
If there is no changes obvious I will just let sleeping dogs lie and not fix what is not broken.

I hate these updates where no changes is visible afterwards, kind of like wm2003se.

Surur

dswatski
01-07-2005, 07:48 PM
I saw this error too.

I have Windows2000 on this machine and did a restart to boot in Safe Mode with networking enabled. I then repeated the install and it worked fine. I then immediately did another restart to bring it up normally and perform the sync.

cmorris
01-07-2005, 08:02 PM
Are you guys unistalling your previous version of ActiveSync before installing v3.8?

Nope. I just ran the installer, but without my device plugged in and everything went smoothly. No reboot necessary here.

asims
01-07-2005, 08:06 PM
Quite often after syncing with my home computer, I have most of my all-day events (birthday, anniversary, etc) showing up two, three, even four times on that day. I then have to hunt down each one and delete the extras. Does anyone know if this new version corrects that issue?

piperpilot
01-07-2005, 08:27 PM
I finally figured out the solution to my File Copy Error. You cannot perform the update with the device in its cradle. Once I removed the device, AS 3.8 installed with no problems whatsoever. I feel like such an idiot for spending all day whining about this problem. Sorry :oops:

Janak Parekh
01-07-2005, 08:42 PM
If there is no changes obvious I will just let sleeping dogs lie and not fix what is not broken. I hate these updates where no changes is visible afterwards, kind of like wm2003se.
I agree. I updated the frontpage post with the list of "new features". Put simply, there aren't any and you really don't need to upgrade.

--janak

buzzard
01-07-2005, 09:15 PM
If there is no changes obvious I will just let sleeping dogs lie and not fix what is not broken. I hate these updates where no changes is visible afterwards, kind of like wm2003se.
I agree. I updated the frontpage post with the list of "new features". Put simply, there aren't any and you really don't need to upgrade.

--janak
But 3.8 is a bigger number than 3.7.1...isn't that an upgrade ? :mrgreen:

surur
01-07-2005, 10:23 PM
But 3.8 is a bigger number than 3.7.1...isn't that an upgrade ? :mrgreen:

In my youth yes, but I am far less energetic now. :wink:

Surur

Foo Fighter
01-07-2005, 11:12 PM
Merde! Now I'm angry! :evil:

After installing the update, AvantGo no longer syncs..I just keep getting a status message that says "Connecting to device" and Windows Media Player 10 (PC) won't sync my music or playlists.

*sigh* I should have stayed with 3.7 :worried:

ctmagnus
01-08-2005, 12:02 AM
I wonder if the release of this today is why my standard, in-built AvantGo (program, not so much data) wouldnt sync to my freshly rebuilt iPaq last night?

bbarker
01-08-2005, 12:10 AM
For several days I've had 2 unresolved items in my Files but I don't know which files they are (I have hundreds). I'm tempted to install the new version of AS to see whether it fixed the problem.

Ed Hansberry
01-08-2005, 12:15 AM
For several days I've had 2 unresolved items in my Files but I don't know which files they are (I have hundreds). I'm tempted to install the new version of AS to see whether it fixed the problem.
Doubtful.

Dock your device and let it sync.

Now, open Explorer and go to the \My Documents\PPC MY Documents folder.

Move ALL subfolders and wait for that massive deletion on your Pocket PC. Now, move them back one at a time letting ActiveSync transfer them back. Chances are, it'll fix it. If not, you'll know which folders are cuasing the problem and can drill down from there using the same method with file groups.[/list]

bbarker
01-08-2005, 01:16 AM

Move ALL subfolders and wait for that massive deletion on your Pocket PC. Now, move them back one at a time letting ActiveSync transfer them back. Chances are, it'll fix it. If not, you'll know which folders are cuasing the problem and can drill down from there using the same method with file groups.[/list]
Ouch. I have probably 800 files. But you're right, that's probably the only way to track down the problem.

alex_kac
01-08-2005, 03:24 AM

Most times this is caused by a corruption in the .pst file on the desktop, a corruption issue in the activesync jet based replication files, or corruption in the PIM databases on the PPC.

#1 is fairly common and you can fix it by running ScanPST (do a find for it as Outlook installs it).

#2 can only be fixed by deleting and recreating the partnership or by removing all day for it to clear it out.

#3 - clear everything out on the PPC and resync.

jfreiman
01-08-2005, 04:34 AM
I've been running Activesync 3.7.1 since it's release and the only 'problem' I've had with it is that my device looses it's Activesync connection on occasion.

So I tried to install 3.8 hoping to resolve the problem. When I tied to install it over the older version it just uncompressed the files and then nothing happened.

I then uninstalled 3.7.1 and tried 3.8 again - still nothing.

Now I can't install either Activesync application!

Does anyone know what the problem could be? I'm running Windows XP SP2.

Oregon Trail
01-08-2005, 09:33 PM
I was having a problem with not getting a connection when I put my E-805 in the cradle. This was a problem that I had several days before 3.8 was released. Darius Wey suggested that I uninstall ActiveSync and then reinstall. First I downloaded the update(3.8) and tried to connect. Nothing. Then I uninstalled 3.7.1 and redownloaded the 3.8, and now am happy that I can sync the device. :D

Janak Parekh
01-08-2005, 09:43 PM
So I tried to install 3.8 hoping to resolve the problem. When I tied to install it over the older version it just uncompressed the files and then nothing happened.
Try clearing out your TEMP folder (which is usually C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp) and then try rerunning the installer.

--janak

Darius Wey
01-09-2005, 03:39 AM

I then uninstalled 3.7.1 and tried 3.8 again - still nothing.

Now I can't install either Activesync application!

Yup, I saw that problem on a number of computers. If you have ActiveSync running, kill it by opening the Task Manager (right-click the tasbar and select Task Manager), going to the Processes tab and ending the wcescomm.exe process and the WCESMgr.exe process if you have ActiveSync active on the desktop. Then uninstall it. Restart your computer, and attempt reinstallation with the newer version of ActiveSync.

lbcox
01-10-2005, 06:44 PM
I have a Dell X5 and have had screen freezing problems when it is in the cradle. Running XP SP1 and then SP2; problem continued. Hoped 3.8 might clear this up, but the install keeps complaining about a required file; c:/...temp/IXP000.TMP/support/nt5_supp.dll that does not exist. No file exists on my system. I see you guys have the same issue, different file. X5 is out of the cradle and chucked a couple of 0 byte files...no luck....same error. :evil:

lbcox
01-10-2005, 07:14 PM
From my previous posting, I then rebooted my system, left the X5 out of the cradle, logged in, went into Task Manager and killed WCESMgr and wcescomm processes and then successfully installed 3.8. Sync'd up fine as well. Don't know what was different but it's working now. Is it faster???? Oh, maybe. I guess I'll have to watch it for a little while to get a feel for that. The screen is still frozen when in the cradle. At least there wasn't a meltdown; just wasted an hour of my time. :?

noonas
01-10-2005, 09:54 PM
Maybe it's just me, but the install of 3.8 fails..

At the end when the install in copying files it complains Error -1) that the file wceusbsh.cat cannot be copied and the whole insallation fails, now I have NO activeSync at all, tried to install 3.7.1 and the same error..

can someone help??

Wiggster
01-10-2005, 10:02 PM

At the end when the install in copying files it complains Error -1) that the file wceusbsh.cat cannot be copied and the whole insallation fails, now I have NO activeSync at all, tried to install 3.7.1 and the same error..

can someone help??

Check the reply to your first post (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36443&amp;highlight=) :wink:

bbarker
01-11-2005, 12:59 AM
Doubtful.

No luck. I did all of that and I still have those two unresolved, and seemingly unresolvable, items.

Darius Wey
01-11-2005, 03:43 AM

can someone help??

Check the reply to your first post (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36443&amp;highlight=) :wink:

Also, try this (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=318195#318195) if that suggestion doesn't work.

WyattEarp
01-11-2005, 06:43 AM
Sat back, read a few posts, waited all weekend then installed it after work to day. Not a hitch. :D

mhowie
01-13-2005, 03:20 AM
Found a bug... at least on my machine. When I connect my iPAQ, ActiveSync (3.8) does not start... I must open it manually (e.g., right click on the task bar icon "Open MS ActiveSync". Yes, the option is checked...

Any others experiencing this?

Thanks,

christak
01-13-2005, 05:04 AM
Found a bug... at least on my machine. When I connect my iPAQ, ActiveSync (3.8) does not start... I must open it manually (e.g., right click on the task bar icon "Open MS ActiveSync". Yes, the option is checked...

Any others experiencing this?

Thanks,

Yep... 3.8 is not that great an app in my book...

TLD
01-15-2005, 02:27 AM
I installed 3.8 over 3.7 with no problems on WinXP Pro SP2.
It works fine with my Dell X30 (USB) and a Symbol PPT 2800 (serial) that I am staging/testing.
However 3.8 has the same "socket error" overflow error as 3.7.1 (but not 3.7 which works fine). After doing about 70 http requests within a single execution thread, it gets a socket error and will not do any more http requests without a warm boot.
I have a simple test app that downloads a jpg image file from our server a specified number of times.
On 3.7 I can do hundreds of iterations, but both 3.7.1 and 3.8 get the error at about 72nd iteration.
I was hoping they fixed this in 3.8 but guess not (sigh).
Oh and after installing it and rebooting, it seemed to kill the ability to do FTP somehow. Every FTP program was getting a "server disconnected" message on every site. Had to reboot a 2nd time to be able to do FTP. That really baffled me for a few minutes and seems weird but I am pretty sure that is what happened.

axe
02-08-2005, 06:41 PM
I wanted to let you know of a pit-fall I found in installing v3.8. V3.71 allowed for open files to be synced whereas v3.8 does not. This means for instance if you have a DOC file open that is in the Desktop “PocketPC Mydocuments” folder and is normally synced, if you have it save it while it is still open in Word, v3.71 will sync it when you save it. Version 3.8 will wait until you have closed Word before it syncs the changed file. Until then, in Activesync, 'Files' will be marked as ‘1 unresolved’.

I wanted to let you know because in my case I reverted back to v3.71 since I have an XLS file open on my computer all day long that I record my projects in. For safety’s sake, I save it fairly regularly throughout the day. That file is then synced fairly regularly throughout the day. With v3.8 that file would only be synced once a day at best, and could cause conflicts with the other sections marked for syncing (calendar, notes etc).

To revert back, I had to remove v3.8, reboot, then install v3.71 in which case it had to re-establish the partnership between my PC and my PPC, where it resynced all my contacts, files etc. This is a fairly long process that could cause errors if any enhancements have been made to ActiveSync for external applications, such as the AvantGo update. Those external apps needed to be reinstalled on my PC.
FYI,
AXE