View Full Version : Egress - more problem

isomaniac
01-07-2005, 07:52 AM
This is my first working day of using Egress and some problems start to surface:

I use Pocket Breeze and I love it. Now Egress will display the running headlines on the top part of my Today screen. This is fine. But many time when I click on the headline, Egress DOES NOT launch. Normally, Egress should launch with the clicked headline and display the full article. But most of the time, it does not. Sometime it even hang my Pocket PC.

I installed Egress on SD Card. But many times when I click Egress, the program icon was changed to a default icon image, as if the SD card has not be put in. I clicked the icons of other softwares which are installed on the SD Card and they all worked fine. Their icons also displayed correctly.

It happened once that when clicked on the Egress in Today screen (the portion where it displays headlines), my Pocket PC re-booted!

When I activesync my PPC in my office desktop, the Egress did its updating "forever". It never stopped. I don't know why?

Man I love RSS and would love to use it "normally". I am starting to think I should try other RSS reader....is PocketRSS a good one?

Thanks.

Phillip Dyson
01-07-2005, 03:38 PM
This is my first working day of using Egress and some problems start to surface:

Are you using the latests version? 2.01
What type of device are you using?

I use Pocket Breeze and I love it. Now Egress will display the running headlines on the top part of my Today screen.

You can change the order of your plugins. Go to Settings>>Personal>>Today and click on the Items tab at the bottom of the screen.

But many time when I click on the headline, Egress DOES NOT launch. Normally, Egress should launch with the clicked headline and display the full article. But most of the time, it does not. Sometime it even hang my Pocket PC.

It is true that launching programs from an SD card is slower than from main memory. However, you should not be locking up. I assume that you have both the application and the data on the SD card? Try moving your data to somewhere in Main memory like MyDocuments and see if you experience a performance increase. (Start Egress. Options. Scroll until you come to the storage tab.) This is what I did especially since I was using the Plugin. Just as a rule of thumb for me, plugins always went into main memory.

I installed Egress on SD Card. But many times when I click Egress, the program icon was changed to a default icon image, as if the SD card has not be put in. I clicked the icons of other softwares which are installed on the SD Card and they all worked fine. Their icons also displayed correctly.

I experience this sometimes coming from Suspend mode. There is often a noticable delay for programs on the SD card.

It happened once that when clicked on the Egress in Today screen (the portion where it displays headlines), my Pocket PC re-booted!

Hmm... this has never happened to me and I've been using Egress since 1.x Perhaps you should uninstall it and re-install.

When I activesync my PPC in my office desktop, the Egress did its updating "forever". It never stopped. I don't know why?

Does your work use a proxy to prevent "inappropriate" sites. Egress may not be able to get past the firewall. And there is not time-out setting Egress. So it may just be waiting to time out.

Man I love RSS and would love to use it "normally". I am starting to think I should try other RSS reader....is PocketRSS a good one?

I know people who use PocketRSS and are happy with it. I believe it plugs into PocketBreeze now. I have already invested in Egress and have not yet found a compelling reason to switch. You can always install a demo.

Thanks.

I hope that I helped a little.

isomaniac
01-07-2005, 05:11 PM
I reinstalled it in Main memory and suddenly everything seems to work fine.

However I would llike to ask further:

Can I set proxy in Egress so that I can get new headlines in my work PC (yes it uses a proxy to go to Internet)

Can I backup all the channels I have subscribed in Egress so that in case of re-install, I can restore the channels in no time?

Is there any easy way to add a feed? Most of the time I am surfing the Internet using desktop PC and my Ipaq just sits in its cradle peacefully. When I see interesting XML website in my desktop PC, I DO NOT WANT TO watch the desktop PC LCD screen and manually tap each alphabeth of the XML URL in Egress of my Ipaq. This looks SO-native. Is there any way to easily add channel in Egress?

What is the meaning of "Storage" and "Disclosure"?

Can I email out an interesting headline/article within Egress?

Can I COPY the text of headline/article in Egress?

Can I search for keyword in the headlines/article content in Egress?

Thanks a lot.

jalm1
01-07-2005, 11:54 PM
I too would be intrested in knowing if there was a way to backup the chanel list, so that i could restore my chanels easily if need be.

garishkernels
01-27-2005, 05:21 PM
I too would be intrested in knowing if there was a way to backup the chanel list, so that i could restore my chanels easily if need be.

In Egress, all of the subscription information is stored in myChannels.opml which is located in \My Documents\Channels by default. Additionaly, you can backup all of the content, exclusive of images, by backing up all of the other files in the same directory. They all have the name of the channel and are simply text files containing RSS. Hope that helps.

-Karl