View Full Version : RSS reader for Pocket PC

isomaniac
01-07-2005, 03:04 AM
RSS reader for Pocket PC

I just learned about this thing 2 days ago and am now using the Egress (trial). It works great but due to faily new to the playground, I have some queries about RSS and Egress:

I setup Egress to auto get new content whenever I activesync. But when doing so, Egress kept retrieving the content with my subscribed channels and it did not seem to stop. I mean, there could not be THAT SO MANY content to download, but why it kept doing the updating and would not stop?

I use Egress for PPC, RSS Reader for PC and Rocketinfo RSS for web based RSS reading purpose. What is the easiest way to transfer (import/export) the many RSS feeds which I have subscribed from one RSS software to another? I tried to export into the opml file and import into another but it did not work. Nothing show up in the new software.

In some RSS-equipped websites, I copied the XML/PHP URL and put it into one RSS reader and it worked fine, but when I put it into another RSS reader, it said the URL is an invalid RSS feed. Why is that?

After played RSS for 2 days, I started to think "Man, we have used it long time ago already!!! Avantgo is a form of RSS!!! It simply put stricter rules on the RSS of different websites and then display the RSS feeds (and their content) with more graphics (so more system resource required) on the PPC!!" Am I right on this?

Thanks.

UCCOFFEE
01-07-2005, 07:53 AM
Egress DOESNT want to stop if you leave it as default.... cos it just keep updating every now and then and cos its files located in the 'my Document', if you turn on the 'File' sync in activesync, it will keep changing and eventually terminate the activesync (in my experience)

Just move the 'channel' folder to \channels\ , instead of under /my documents\Channels\

isomaniac
01-07-2005, 08:00 AM
Egress DOESNT want to stop if you leave it as default.... cos it just keep updating every now and then and cos its files located in the 'my Document', if you turn on the 'File' sync in activesync, it will keep changing and eventually terminate the activesync (in my experience)

Just move the 'channel' folder to \channels\ , instead of under /my documents\Channels\

Surprise! Egress does NOT stop and keeps updating?! Oh my....

I installed it on SD Card, so which folder should I but the "channel" folder? And after I moved that folder, Egress WILL stop after update?

Thanks.

UCCOFFEE
01-07-2005, 08:51 AM
just go to 'tools' and 'option' and change the setting
The RSS feed suppost to update every now and then , cos u want to get the lastest news... but since the pocketpc is not always online....

I only update the feed through activesync once (or twice) a day, u can change the scheduling time in the 'retrieval' under option

I forgot to ask... How many channels do u have....
Any good channels do u recommend except PPCT
I ve got enough pocketpc related RSS feeds, I want some review news like tomshardware... how come they dun have RSS....

Anyone know is there a RSS reader that can change language encoding like internet explorer?

PC

GSmith
01-07-2005, 09:20 AM
If you'd like to try another RSS Reader, consider www.FeederReader.com. It's in alpha testing right now, and works with WM2003SE in landscape mode as well.

isomaniac
01-07-2005, 02:33 PM
just go to 'tools' and 'option' and change the setting
The RSS feed suppost to update every now and then , cos u want to get the lastest news... but since the pocketpc is not always online....

I only update the feed through activesync once (or twice) a day, u can change the scheduling time in the 'retrieval' under option

I forgot to ask... How many channels do u have....
Any good channels do u recommend except PPCT
I ve got enough pocketpc related RSS feeds, I want some review news like tomshardware... how come they dun have RSS....

Anyone know is there a RSS reader that can change language encoding like internet explorer?

PC

I will try Pocket RSS tonight.

For feeds, I have of course PPC feeds and some news feeds such as NY Times, Yahoo News, Wired, Cnet and BBC.