View Full Version : Which GSM PPC Phone?

rprata
01-07-2005, 12:40 AM
Ok, I'm currently using an iPAQ h6315, which I purchased from T-Mobile the day before they were 'officially' available. So I guess I've been using it around 3 months. I love the converged device, I love always having the PPC with me, and I love the overall power of the device. The battery life is great. However, as a former PalmOS user, I find this particular PPC (more about that later..) too slow and buggy for me. What do I mean by that?

I think this unit has some sort of memory leak, which requires multiple soft resets. I'll start off with ~11MB RAM free, and every time I run an app (whether it's in RAM, iPAQ File Store, or SD) I loose memory, until I'm down to ~6MB free, at which time the unit functions so slow, I have to reset just to make a phone call.

There are times when an incoming phone call will freeze the device totally, causing me to miss the call, and have to reset the device to regain functionality.

then, there are times when the unit corrupts the SD card, to the point where the unit will no longer see the SD card, causing me to have to format the SD card on my PC and restore all the stuff on the SD card.

So, my plan is to call T-Mobile and have them send me a replacement phone, and then sell the new one on eBay, along with the original box, cradle, etc.

So, this leads me to my question, and the purpose of this post. Which PPC Phone device should I purchase to replace the 6315? Requirements:

* Bluetooth
* GSM/GPRS (No Verizon or Sprint)
* Decent Speed Processor (~400MHz would be nice)
* RAM (~128MB would be good, I can live with 64)
* Under $700US
* SD Slot Mandatory

I'm considering the XDA/MDA2 and XDA/MDA3 (PPC2K, IF I can find one for a reasonable price.) I dont' know what else is out there.

WiFi is not a deal-breaker, but would be ideal. Not required, however, as I use GPRS most of the time.

My boss has the Samsung i700 through Verizon, and it's a solid, slick unit, but I can't, and won't switch to Verizon just for a phone. Can't and won't. I have to stick with GSM (T-Mobile).

So, it's all up to you guys to give me some suggestons.

Discuss! :mrgreen:

JD Silver
01-07-2005, 06:01 AM
Greetings!

I am currently using the Samsung SPH i700 on a CDMA network, and like you, really enjoy using a converged device. The i700 is rather large, so I must mention the BenQ P50 for a GSM device. The specs and the formfactor look excellent. Here is a link...

http://www.brighthand.com/article/BenQ_P50_Coming_Next_Month?site=PPC

Now if only GSM service in the Great White North was half decent...sigh. Guess I'll wait for the Samsung i730.

JD