View Full Version : Pocket PC OS updates

Bensonic
01-06-2005, 09:33 PM
I'm having trouble finding info on whether or not I can update the OS on my Cassiopei, running Windows CE Version 3, which I've had for around 4 years. The hardware's still fine & I have expansion cards and so on; can I update the OS to a later version, as with a full-sized PC OS, or not? Grateful for any info

Bensonic

Menneisyys
01-06-2005, 10:51 PM
I'm having trouble finding info on whether or not I can update the OS on my Cassiopei, running Windows CE Version 3, which I've had for around 4 years. The hardware's still fine & I have expansion cards and so on; can I update the OS to a later version, as with a full-sized PC OS, or not? Grateful for any info

Bensonic

Unfortunately, you haven't specified the exact type of your PDA. Because you're referring to WinCE 3.0 and not any kind of PPC (namely, ppc2k), I think it's one of the low-cost, STN Casio WinCE PDA's: the Casio Pocket Manager BE-300/BE-500.

They, unfortunately, can't be upgraded, not even to PPC2k.

The same stands for the E-1xx series/EM-500/EG-800: they have a MIPS processor and PPC2k; because of their CPU, they can't be upgraded to PPC2k2. The E-200 is a different animal, though.

BTW, you should post questions like this to either Casio ( http://pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=17 ) or WinCE ( http://pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=56 ) forums, not in a generic one. Casio/WinCE users not necessarily come here; you may have much better luck in a specific forum with Casio-specific questions.

Jeff Rutledge
01-07-2005, 12:26 AM
Moved to the Casio forum...

smileyguy
03-23-2005, 04:23 AM
The same stands for the E-1xx series/EM-500/EG-800: they have a MIPS processor and PPC2k; because of their CPU, they can't be upgraded to PPC2k2.

The prcessor is only one aspect of this. It is also the lack of Flash-ROM.

Menneisyys
03-28-2005, 10:46 PM
The same stands for the E-1xx series/EM-500/EG-800: they have a MIPS processor and PPC2k; because of their CPU, they can't be upgraded to PPC2k2.

The prcessor is only one aspect of this. It is also the lack of Flash-ROM.

Yeah, but it was swappable with several models (for example, the Compaq Aero). PPC2k2 would be a no-go even if the ROM were swappable with the MIPS casio devices because ppc2k2 only has an ARM build.

MitchellO
04-01-2005, 06:07 AM
Yeah, the older Casio PPCs used mips which does not work with PocketPC 2002/2003 (the other way actually).