View Full Version : Ipaq 3835 and Nokia 6230 phone

rcknrbn
01-05-2005, 07:21 PM
Greetings. I just upgraded phones to a Nokia 6230 thru Cingular which has both bluetooth capability and infrared. The old Ipaq 3835 has served me well but I have nothing on it other than what came from the factory (no expansion sleeves, etc.). I previously had a Motorola V60i and used a cable (from Gomadic) to connect the Ipaq to the cell phone in order to synchronize, check emails, etc. through my ISP.

With the new phone, does anyone have a recommendation as to connecting the 3835? Can I synchronize via the infrared ports (my experience thus far has been 'beaming' files from one to the other). If not, can I add a bluetooth card?

Any assistance and imput is appreciated!

Mark

Menneisyys
01-06-2005, 11:49 AM
With the new phone, does anyone have a recommendation as to connecting the 3835? Can I synchronize via the infrared ports (my experience thus far has been 'beaming' files from one to the other). If not, can I add a bluetooth card?

Via IrDA, you can.

Via BT, make sure the BT card you purchase supports the advanced BT authentication exclusively used by the 6230. Some (now) lower-end machines (e.g., the iPAQ 2210 / 1940) didn't support it for a long time. There may be cards that have BT stacks that don't support it either.

So, it's the best to test your BT card before buying it: pair it with the phone, and if it goes OK, resulting in the two machines getting paired, you won't have probs with the Nokia.

(Wise choice, btw :) The 6230 rocks.)

rcknrbn
01-06-2005, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have been doing some reading and it appears that, even if I can get it to connect, I will probably have to subscribe to some additional service thru Cingular for it to work. I've actually got the IR to the point it is connecting but the display on the Nokia 6230 shows I must "Subscribe to GPRS First". Maybe I'm getting close.

Yeah, I've only had the 6230 a few days but really like it.

Thanks