View Full Version : A History Lesson on Windows CE

Jason Dunn
01-06-2005, 06:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/windowsce/' target='_blank'>http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/windowsce/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"The Microsoft Corporation first released their scaled down version of Windows 95, Windows CE (some say this stands for "Compact Edition" or "Consumer Electronics" although Microsoft dispute this) Version 1 in the November of 1996. It was designed to be user friendly, easy to use and familiar (To users of Windows 95 anyway). To discuss the development of Windows CE we have to look back to the Summer of 1992. The inaugural steps of some of the technologies that would later dominate the Windows CE world can be traced back to 1990, however the initial motions at creating a Mobile Windows device heralded in 1992. The WinPad project was a commitment by Microsoft to change the way users interacted with Windows. The idea was to invigorate innovations by changing the platform by which we were all familiar into something radically different..."</i><br /><br />If you're interested in the history of the operating system that the Pocket PC is based on, this is an excellent article to check out.

WillyG
01-06-2005, 10:15 AM
Thanx for posting this thorough and informing article (also saved on my PPC for future reference).
Ive been on this train since "Wyvern"-station (CE2.11), enthusiasticly looking out the window, becoming more and more comfortable as time goes by. While i believe im quite informed about the history of CE, i actually learned a few strange things:

- The first version of ActiveSync was developed under the codename Nirvana :lol: , i think we can agree we are not quite there yet.

- There actually was a Microsoft Pocket Powerpoint and Microsoft Pocket Access once. Will someone at the lost property agency please look for them and return them to the rightfull owner? A reward will be payed.

- Looking at the screenshot, i think, i would be more comfortable with the old "Ink Writer" than, todays "Notes".

- Im still not convinced it was right to remove the Windows95 look with the startbutton on the bottom, and cascading start menu in favor for todays GUI.

Edit: ActiveSync's codename was Minerva not Nirvana, almost the same

Jonathon Watkins
01-06-2005, 10:23 AM
Thanx for posting this thorough and informing article (also saved on my PPC for future reference).

Agreed. I've saved it for reference as well. Nice. :)

Menneisyys
01-06-2005, 11:45 AM
I just love anything related to history of computing :) And I also love taking out my WinCE 1.0 / 2.0 / 2.11 machines out of the drawer and remembering the 'good old days', when I paid a real fortune for a 4Mbyte PCMCIA RAM (not flash ROM!) card for my newly-purchased 320LX :)

surur
01-06-2005, 03:02 PM
Very interesting article, and shows that even though Palm was first to the market (en masse at least) pocketpc's have been germinating for a long time.

Why do I. Get the feeling though. That that article. Was written using. Transcriber? :)

Surur

marcm
01-06-2005, 11:18 PM
Cool article! :D Anyone else ready to celebrate 10 years of Windows CE next year? 8O :wink:

Jonathon Watkins
01-06-2005, 11:29 PM
Anyone else ready to celebrate 10 years of Windows CE next year? 8O :wink:

Good idea. :bday: I'll bake a birthday cake and we can have the party round at your house. :wink: