View Full Version : HELP! Must open multiple windows in IE. Going nuts over here.

BellaBlues
01-05-2005, 04:44 PM
Hi all. I posted this in "Just Chatting" yesterday because I couldn't get into this topic (perhaps a firewall thing here at work), so I apologize for posting this twice. Menneisyys suggested I move it here, so I did.

I need help for an IPAQ 5550. This is our first shot at developing for PDAs. We are trying to put large training manuals (they were 1000 page PDFs) on handhelds using existing HTML/XML data being extracted from our document management system. We can't convert the PDFs straightout because the art shrinks and the diagrams are the most important part of the manuals.

These PDAs will not be linked to the web because they will be used by soldiers. We are having big problems since IE on handhelds won't open multiple windows and toggling text and large tables along with graphics are necessary. Unfortunately we can't use a tool like Southway Corporation's MultiIE 3.0, NetFront, or Replico because it would involve licensing issues and we are not allowed to put any new apps on the IPAQ. Its probably best if we use IE. We could buy a tool for the development if thats what it takes, but it should output something that pocket IE can interpret. We don't really have the resources for designing our own app.

Ideally, we are looking for a JavaScript that would allow us to open more than one window at once.

Is there any code out there to help?

Or perhaps someone has a solution for opening several pages at once?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Any opinions and all suggestions will be considered and thoroughly researched. I got some great responses in my last post and I checked them out this morning. These were new products we had never heard of since we are newbies to this pocket PC thing.

Thank you in advance for any help.

humbletim
01-06-2005, 06:28 AM
As far as I know, PIE on h5550's cannot open multiple windows natively (its subset of JavaScript does not include window.open; it abides by the PPC guideline stating only one Instance of an application can be running at a time).

However, I have worked on many applications that embed PIE windows in a multi-tabbed and/or multi-view environment.

Embedding a PIE window is pretty easy, but tying in the hooks (back, stop, set text size, etc.) is a bit trickier.

There are several examples of embedding PIE using free MS eVC++ tools. Check out http://codeguru.com/ and http://www.thecodeproject.com (search for "htmlview" with "pocketpc" to start).

Best regards,
-Tim
ps: :ninja: I am available to create a royalty-free, multi-window PIE wrapper for you. It would allow opening new windows via your HTML similar to window.open, and could also include setting scale-to-fit, image toggle, and text rendering size. It's also possible to use full XSLT to dynamically render XML to HTML on the device. PM me if interested.