View Full Version : i-mate jam or i-mate pda2k?

okanrua
01-05-2005, 02:56 PM
i am gonna buy one of these. which one do u think is better

Darius Wey
01-05-2005, 03:10 PM
This is very much an apples versus oranges question.

I think it's best that you tell us what you want in a Pocket PC Phone? The i-mate JAM has the benefit of adopting a truly pocketable form factor. Its size is brilliantly small, even its weight. It weighs ~150g, while the PDA2K is ~210g, IIRC. However, it lacks Wi-Fi. The i-mate PDA2K, on the other hand, is a lot larger, but it does have Wi-Fi, as well as a slide-out keyboard. The JAM has a slightly higher clock-speed with a Bulverde 416MHz processor, as opposed to the PDA2K's 400MHz, but the PDA2K has 128MB RAM, while the JAM only has 64MB RAM. The JAM, being newer, also has a newer Bluetooth protocol running (v1.2). The PDA2K is running v1.1. Also note that the JAM's screen is a lot smaller (2.8"). Will that be a problem for you?

In short, both are great units - each having their own good and bad points. It all comes down to what you're really after in a Pocket PC phone.

okanrua
01-05-2005, 03:30 PM
i never use wi fi. what i use a ppc for is:

- pim functions
- mp3
- some financial softwares
- books
- avant go

i don't play games.
i don't usually use it for internet

also what i am afraid of is: when i get out, to the day light can the screen be seen easily. if i can't how can i call someone?

Menneisyys
01-05-2005, 04:08 PM
However, it lacks Wi-Fi. The i-mate PDA2K, on the other hand, is a lot larger, but it does have Wi-Fi, as well as a slide-out keyboard. The JAM has a slightly higher clock-speed with a Bulverde 416MHz processor, as opposed to the PDA2K's 400MHz, but the PDA2K has 128MB RAM, while the JAM only has 64MB RAM. The JAM, being newer, also has a newer Bluetooth protocol running (v1.2). The PDA2K is running v1.1.

It should be pointed out, however, that Jam, like the I-Mate series, has the Microsoft Bluetooth stack, unlike PDA2K. The latter has the "industry-standard" Widcomm.

Having the MS BT stack means (or, may mean) severe restrictions. For example, the ThinkOutside StowAway (= Dell) BT Keyboard doesn't support it (see e.g. http://www.ppcw.net/?itemid=2086&catid=60 and http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=316239 for more info). So, if you plan to use a BT keyboard (later), it may better to look around for other alternatives.

Darius Wey
01-05-2005, 04:12 PM
In that case, the JAM sounds perfect for your needs, as the PDA2K may be a little overkill. Although you will have to bear in mind that the smaller screen space may not be to your liking - but this preferential attitude is largely user-dependent.

The LCD is transflective so reflectivity is covered for to an extent. The biggest downturn that many users fail to consider is that some screen protectors make it hard to view under sunlight, thus nullifying the benefits of transflective LCDs. When purchasing a screen protector, keep this in mind.

Also, I've moved this to the Pocket PC Phone Edition forum.

Matt Kitchen
01-05-2005, 04:57 PM
So WiFi doesn't matter to you - then it becomes if want something that is going to fit and feel like a real "candy bar" style phone then the JAM is your device. The PDA2k is larger and will obviously feel more like your carrying a PDA in your pocket, but it has the thumbpad. The thumbpad is great for emails on the go, and maybe working on some Word documents, but to me size and weight - and just true portability have always been the issues.

For my needs I lean towards the JAM and it sounds like you might as well...

okanrua
01-05-2005, 05:06 PM
jam looks cool to me as well but i couldn't understand the bluetooth problem as i mentioned before. also i found a 2k with the same price as the jam. now i am confused even more