View Full Version : Looking for PPC Software to work with BT Mot V551 phone - like RVGSM

ppc4me
01-04-2005, 10:17 PM
I used to use Running Voice GSM on my SE T68i and now I just got a MOT V551. I would like to find an app to sync my contacts with my laptop and ppc, as well as something that offers features that are found in RVGSM.

I am researching the BVRP or MOT phone tools app and trying to find out if it supports my phone via BT and/or USB.

If anyone can provide any info I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Tony

Ipaq 4150 WM2003

Yahdie
01-10-2005, 02:33 AM
Another new component found in Running Voice GSM 3.0 is the SIManager. The SIManager is a tool for managing and editing large address books on both the GSM device and it’s SIM card as well as on the Pocket PC.

I got this from the Pocket Presence description of Running Voice....
Suggestion: Sync phone >PPC>Laptop

A good alternative, which has similar functionality to RVGSM is connect2internet Pro, which also has the SIM management function.

drowe
01-10-2005, 01:25 PM
I'm using the Motorla Phone Tools with my V551 on my laptop with BlueTooth. It works just fine. I can't stand trying to enter the phone book on a phone keypad!!

ppc4me
01-10-2005, 03:04 PM
I tried the SIM Manager part of RVGSM and it seems to work with the ipaq even though the rest of the program doesn't. It may be worthwhile to keep it around as a way to back up the SIM and possibly the phone book in the phone itself.

I bit the bullet and ordered the Motorola Phone Tools and I should have it later today or tomorrow.

I also am having success with the BT dialing from inside Pocket Informant so it looks like I may be set without RVGSM.

I looked into the connect2internet but it looks like they don't list the MOT V551 as a supported phone.

I also tried Mighty Phone but again - not supported.

I sure would like to be able to use the sync functionality to a server that is built into the phone on the connection menu - but so far no one seems to have said they have this working. MOT manual and Cingular not providing enough info as of yet to make it usable.

Menneisyys
01-10-2005, 03:13 PM
Check out http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36193 - it's really worth reading.

Yahdie
01-10-2005, 05:55 PM
I looked into the connect2internet but it looks like they don't list the MOT V551 as a supported phone.

This from the 2kdevelopment.com website,
Motorola A835 (1)(3), E398 (1), T260 (1), T280 (1),
P280 (1), V3 (1), V500 (1), V525 (1),
V600 (1)
Mobile phones marked with (1) means that all SMS and Phone Manager functionality is not supported with this phone.

....as far as I know, the V551 and the V600 are the same phone, Cingular inherited that name from AT&T

Also from the website
What can you do if your mobile phone is not in the list?
Get c2i for free!! Provide us informations about mobile phones, which are in the list of Not yet supported mobile phones and you will get your personal version of c2i for free!

Cingular not providing enough info as of yet to make it usable.

My source for customer service
http://www.howardforums.com/

I often wonder if Cingular CSRs have actually used mobile phones at any point in there lives/careers. Over the years, I have had opportunities to explain GSM, GPRS, SMS v "Text Messaging" and connected PDAs, in the course of trying to resolve issues.
That said, Cingular IMHO has the best plans of any provider out there.

I am very interested in the results of your experiment, I am about to switch to the V551, please, could you continue updating this thread?
I will also start digging to see what I can find out,

TIA

Menneisyys
01-10-2005, 07:13 PM

This from the 2kdevelopment.com website,
Motorola A835 (1)(3), E398 (1), T260 (1), T280 (1),
P280 (1), V3 (1), V500 (1), V525 (1),
V600 (1)
Mobile phones marked with (1) means that all SMS and Phone Manager functionality is not supported with this phone.

I would forget 2kdevelopment.com's software. They're pretty buggy. I've listed and evaluated most SMS/phone handler applications in the other thread (link above): both RVGSM and connect2phone/internet are pretty weak, compared to the other options.