View Full Version : critical RAM space- please help me join you!!!!

jiri_havranek
01-02-2005, 05:19 PM
Hi!

I need help. I was allways a Palm OS user (lately Sony Clie NX70V and UX 40). Now (and only because Sony decided to quit the handheld market) I am thinking about moving over to PPC platform. I like the new Motorola MPX (or mpx 300) PPC smartphone. It has everything I need (qwerty keyboard, Wifi, BT). But I have read that it will have "only" 32 MB RAM (after soft reset even something around 20 availible) Is this such a disaster? With Palm it was not a big issue- having programs like "Power run" it was possible to run almost every program from a expansion storage card to save the memory. Than with JackFlash it was possible to use the flash memory of the device for programs etc. Can You please give me some answer? Is PPC with 32MB worth to buy? I would like to use it not only for business purposes (MS office, email, webclient) - some games as well.
than Thanks a lot.

Jiri Havranek

whydidnt
01-02-2005, 06:01 PM
It's certainly possible to load and run programs from a memory card on the PPC platform. It doesn't even require a separate program such as power run. The issue is in how the OS requires certain files and databases to be in memory. Many items can't be moved from RAM, and many of us feel as though 32 MB is not enough to enough to run the OS and keep multiple programs open at the same time without slow downs, or instability.

The Mpx will also include flash storage, that will be accessible without the need for a third party program such as jack flash. One thing you'll find when moving from Palm to PPC is that PPC's native file system is much easier to use, and it just works, much like your desktop PC.

Many of us are now using the i-mate PDA2K, Siemens SX66, or other derivatives as a PPC phone with built in keyboard. It includes a slide out qwerty keyboard and 128 MB RAM. Admittedly, it is larger than a typical phone.

If size is important, you might want to keep your eye out for the upcoming Benq P50 PPC phone edition. It is a smaller form factor device with a 2.8" screen, like the Mpx and includes 64 MB RAM, as well as an integrated keyboard. There is also a Samsung CDMA phone due out soon that is smaller with an integrated keyboard.

I think the Mpx is a great concept and was excited about it until Motorola made the decision to cripple it with 32MB RAM. I guess we don't know for sure how well it will actually run, but for my money I'd rather not take the risk that it won't run as advertised due to lack of RAM.

jiri_havranek
01-02-2005, 07:49 PM
Hi! whydidnt,

thanks a lot for your promt answer. It helped to get to the picture! I will look on the other alternatives as well. It feels good, that even if i switch I will have similar forum, like for example cliesource (or currently 1src).

Jiri

Jereboam
01-02-2005, 09:12 PM
32 Mb of RAM is really not enough. The Mpx runs a lot of phone-related software as a matter of course, which reduces the available memory even further.

If you want to keep the small form factor, look at something like the iMate Jam.

J'bm

jiri_havranek
01-04-2005, 10:29 AM
Hi guys,
last question. After I am covninced that Motorola mpx is nonsens. I am not able to find some replacement....
PDA2K is too huge for me. I cannot imagine to phone on the street with product like this :wink:
I am very close to the decision to have separate PDA a mobile phone.
Is there any PPC PDA with QWERTY keyboard and BT and WiFi? Something like Blue Angel but without the mobile. Maybe I am just an idiot seeking for smartphone without the phone. Is there any such product?

Thanks a lot

Jiri

Menneisyys
01-04-2005, 10:35 AM

Good decision IMHO :) You can't have hi-end (read: VGA and all bells and whitles) PDA's with built-in phones. Hope it'll change in the future tho.

Is there any PPC PDA with QWERTY keyboard and BT and WiFi?

Not really. BTW, thumbboards IMHO should be avoided. Get a VGA device (as you're European, the Pocket Loox 720 may be your best/cheapest choice) and a StowAway BT keyboard, and you have a real powerhorse. I use this combo a lot and am very happy with it.

Jereboam
01-04-2005, 04:27 PM
After I took up the original XDA, I decided that a two-device setup was the way to go. There were too many occasions where I didn't need my full PDA capabilities and was worried about damaging the XDA (hiking, bar-hopping, beach etc), and a phone was going to be much easier to look after and much cheaper to replace if broken/lost. Plus, I think too many compromises are made in incorporating the phone functionality, of necessity.

So until we have flexible pull out screens, fuel cells, 3G+ that works, and so on, it's two devices for me. ;)

J'bm

whydidnt
01-04-2005, 05:23 PM
Hi guys,
last question.
Is there any PPC PDA with QWERTY keyboard and BT and WiFi? Something like Blue Angel but without the mobile. Maybe I am just an idiot seeking for smartphone without the phone. Is there any such product?
Jiri

The iPAQ 4350 has all of the above, but it is a pretty long device with the integrated keyboard. It's been discontinued, but I think you can still find one if you hunt around the net a little.

Otherwise, there is now a thumboard available for the X30 line of Dell PPC's, you can pick one of those up and add the thumboard when necessary. Also HP has released a thumboard for the 47XX and 3XXX line of PPC's, so any of those will work with an added attachment. The 47XX has a VGA screen BTW, to my recollection it's the only VGA device to offer the option of a thumboard attachment today.

I disagree with those who say avoid a thumboard and go with a folding BT keyboard. This is really a personal choice based upon your expected needs. A Folding keyboard is one more fairly large item to carry, and cannot be used unless your sitting (on your lap) or have access to a flat table like area. A thumboard can be used anywhere your PDA is. They both have there place, but you'll need to decide which works better for you.