View Full Version : Navman PiN - SmartST Version 3?

nodyel
01-02-2005, 09:44 AM
Was in a local store last week and noticed the boxes for the Navman's had a sticker on them saying "Now with SmartSt Ver 3!" on them 8O .

Has anyone else seen this? Anybody with any details as to what is new? And is there an upgrade path?

No sign of any such beast that I could find on the Navman site :( .

Mike.

nodyel
01-02-2005, 11:25 AM
Hmmm... to follow-up my own post:

Did some more digging and found this document on their NZ site:

http://www.navman.com/assets/personal/NZ_AUS_leaflet_PiN300_lores.pdf

which mentions V3:

Latest Software
The latest SmartST V3 software includes:
• Multi-stop trip planner and user-created custom Points of Interest
• Over-speed alarm
• 2004 Australia or New Zealand map data
• High-quality voice-guidance
• Back-On-Track route-recalculation, should you take a wrong turn

The last 2 items are in V2, but the first 2 are new, and the updated maps would be welcome.

Time to shoot off an email to them and see about an upgrade...

Mike.

nodyel
01-11-2005, 02:45 AM
And as a further followup to my posts, I received this from the local Navman support:

"The next map/software upgrade is scheduled for released in early February; existing Navman users will receive the product at a discounted fee of $179 for everyone else the cost is $550. Registered users will receive an email as soon as the product becomes available."

Note that the prices are in aussie dollars, and time frames, price, and availability may vary in other parts of the world...

Mike.

bostonGuy
01-12-2005, 01:23 AM
I just bought a Navman bluetooth device with SmartST v2. I bought mostly based on the device figuring all the different software packages had pluses and minuses.

Big mistake. I'm using a PPC-6601 PocketPC and SmartSt refused to launch if the phone radio was on or had BEEN on at all. The only way I could use it was turn off phone radio, soft reset the device, run SmartST (manually reconnect it to the bluetooth device) and then it would work OK. But multi-tasking was out, it turned my PPC phone into a single focused device.

Then if I turned on the phone again, and a call came in while in SmartST? No more SmartST - it wouldn't respond at all.

I then got a copy of Oncourse Navigator 3.0 Loads up fine with the phone turned on, take calls, go back and forth among any of my apps, play music, etc. everything works as if there's just another app running.

Live and learn.

kozak
01-13-2005, 02:03 AM
I guess time to take my PIN back and use the TAP i bought for it :)

bcre8v2
01-13-2005, 02:23 PM
I have multiple PPC's, all with either SD/CF and 802.x or Bluetooth,
running PPC 2002 or WM2003.

I have noticed that most GPS receivers for PPC's are CF or BT based (vs. sleeve-based, like the original NavMan Pocket Copilot).

I am turning to the PPC community for guidance and suggestions on how to proceed and what I should be focusing on (and what to avoid).

Thanks!

-Steve