View Full Version : Stop WiFi Connection Popup

OSUKid7
01-02-2005, 05:51 AM
A friend asked me to ask about this, and actually, I have the same question as well.
regarding Wifi on hx4705: I only use two networks... my home network and my school network. How do you set it so it does NOT connect to other stranger networks in my neighborhood? I HAVE unchecked "automatically connect to non-preferred networks" and yet they pop up and ask me if they are internet or work networks. The bad thing is that when dialog pops up there's no way to "cancel it"

I think this is a general WM2003 problem (feature? ;))...does anyone know of a solution?

Brad Adrian
01-02-2005, 05:58 AM
The only way I've come across to keep that from happening is to simply turn the radio off whenever I'm not specifically using it. That's probably not a bad idea anyway, for security reasons.

OSUKid7
01-02-2005, 06:02 AM
What if you're home and it's refusing to connect to your own network?

Menneisyys
01-02-2005, 10:16 AM
A friend asked me to ask about this, and actually, I have the same question as well.
[quote]regarding Wifi on hx4705: I only use two networks... my home network and my school network. How do you set it so it does NOT connect to other stranger networks in my neighborhood? I HAVE unchecked "automatically connect to non-preferred networks" and yet they pop up and ask me if they are internet or work networks. The bad thing is that when dialog pops up there's no way to "cancel it"

It's a built-in feature of WM2003(SE), WZC (Wireless Zero Configuration). It always keeps searching for available networks when the Wi-Fi unit is switched on (and even when it's actually connected to an AP, also meaning some performance hit, which, according to my benchmark results posted to Firstloox forms at http://www.firstloox.org//forums/showthread.php?t=2562 , may result in some performance / bandwidth hit).

The solution is switching off WZC entirely, and using some other tool to connect: WiFiFoFum for free networks (excellent wardriving tool), or, e.g., Odyssey for connecting to secured networks. You have to use either of the two WZC disabler tools listed at http://www.firstloox.org//forums/showthread.php?t=2508 . Both do essentially the same: just modify the registry.

Menneisyys
01-02-2005, 10:19 AM
What if you're home and it's refusing to connect to your own network?

WZC is like that. You really should use some 3rd tool - they're so easier to use / configure and don't introduce runtime performance/bandwidth hit because of the constant network searching.