View Full Version : PAN with XP service pack 2

jess18a
01-01-2005, 10:05 PM
Ok what is it with microsoft and buggering things up????
I have an ipaq 4150 and xp sp2 on the desktop. I need to set up personal area network but xp sp2 won't host one and makes it very difficult to use my original BT software. I know that WIFI is the way to go but am determined to help myself and others to use bluetooth as a cheap altenative.

ANy suggestion as to how to set up a BT PAN with XP2 would be appreciated.

cheers and down with ipods stand alone gps psp's and all other pda wannabes.

bobmay
01-02-2005, 12:36 AM
I had this problem with XP, and the built in Bluetooth drivers. Go into hardware manager and update the bluetooth driver by pointing to the drive with BT drivers you want to use.

Darius Wey
01-02-2005, 03:30 AM
I had this problem with XP, and the built in Bluetooth drivers. Go into hardware manager and update the bluetooth driver by pointing to the drive with BT drivers you want to use.

It's not the only solution. PANs are very easy to set up using the native BT drivers included in Windows XP SP2.

(1) Turn on the Bluetooth service on your Pocket PC, and leave it running for the duration of this guide.

(2) Now on your PC, ensure your Bluetooth service is running as well (e.g. stick in your BT dongle, or turn on your wireless services on your laptop, etc.)

(3) On the PC, click Start > Control Panel > Printers & Other Hardware > Bluetooth Devices (or if you're using the Classic View, click Start > Control Panel > Bluetooth Devices). A window titled Bluetooth Devices will now be active on the screen. I like to have it running in the system tray for easy access, so the first step is to click on the Options tab, and tick "Show the Bluetooth icon in the notification area", then click Apply. You'll also want to make sure the other three boxes are ticked as well, then click Apply. This will help ease the discovery process.

(4) Now what we're going to do now is pair the devices. Click the Devices tab, and click Add. Click the "My device is set up and ready to be found" option, then click Next. Once it's discovered your Pocket PC, select it, and click Next. Then you can choose from one of the following four options. You can leave it at the first one if you wish and allow Windows to allocate passkeys to both devices. Click Next, and a pop-up should appear on your Pocket PC asking you to input a passkey. Type in the passkey as it appears on the PC, then click OK. The PC and Pocket PC will be paired.

(5) Click OK to close the Bluetooth Devices window. Now right-click the BT icon in the system tray and select Join a Personal Network. Ensure your Pocket PC's Bluetooth service is still running. You should see your Pocket PC device's name appear in this new window on the PC. Simply select it, and click Connect. Your PAN should now be established.