View Full Version : Is there a app that simulates an internet connection?

ipaq1940
01-01-2005, 08:00 AM
When I had a Palm, I used "Softic PPP". I would connect my palm to the computer, and feed off of it's internet connection with a program via USB.

Is there something like this for Pocket PC?

Menneisyys
01-01-2005, 08:13 AM
When I had a Palm, I used "Softic PPP". I would connect my palm to the computer, and feed off of it's internet connection with a program via USB.

Is there something like this for Pocket PC?

Sure there is: ActiveSync has by default internet connection sharing (Internet pass-through). That is, if the desktop computer you connect to via USB is on the Net, the PDA will also see it. You don't need any special program on the PPC to access the Net, unlike on Palm OS.

ipaq1940
01-01-2005, 08:15 AM
Oh... I thought it was just for Internet Explorer (im new-got this Ipaq 1940 for chriostmas :D )

But will it work with games?
EX: Can I play an internet game of Warfare Inc. ?

Menneisyys
01-01-2005, 08:23 AM
Oh... I thought it was just for Internet Explorer (im new-got this Ipaq 1940 for chriostmas :D )

But will it work with games?
EX: Can I play an internet game of Warfare Inc. ?

It's for all Interne-capable programs, not just IE. You may have been mislead by the pre-ActiveSync 3.5-ages, when there were still no Internet pass-through in AS, and most people used a local HTTP proxy server on the desktop in order to access the web from the PDA. Then, indeed it was only Pocket Internet Explorer that could work over this kind of connection. Now, however, all TCP/IP (client) apps work.

It's only server TCP/IP apps that won't woirk, but the reason for that is very simple: the PDA and the desktop shares the same IP.

Also, non-TCP/IP-rotocols won't work either. For example, unlike with Wi-Fi, you won't be able to browse shared drives on the local network.

Yes, games also work that use a centralized (directory) server to negotiate connections, and don't act as server. I've played e.g. Snails w/o problems via AS Internet pass-through.

ipaq1940
01-01-2005, 08:35 AM
Now, however, all TCP/IP (client) apps work.

It's only server TCP/IP apps that won't work.

Did you contradict your slef, or what is the difference? (I'm a "noob")

Menneisyys
01-01-2005, 09:09 AM

it's very simple: you won't be able to host, e.g. a HTTP or an FTP server on your PDA - it just won't be seen from the outside.

Menneisyys
01-01-2005, 09:14 AM

it's very simple: you won't be able to host, e.g. a HTTP or an FTP server on your PDA - it just won't be seen from the outside.

Forgot to say one thing: e.g., FTP cliens can act as TCP/IP servers, because they open up ports on the local machine for file / directory list transfer (I've spent quite much time with them because I've authored IBM's AlphaWorks FTP JavaBeans). This is why an ActiveSync-networked FTP client can only work in passive mode.