View Full Version : Question regarding buying the Dell x50v

martinja
12-31-2004, 01:21 AM
Hi
I am planning to buy a Dell x50v somewhere in January.

However I do have some questions. Is the Dell warranty world wide, if no by standard, can you buy it? Then also comes the question if it is no worldwide, how broad is the warranty? As I am also going to soon move inside the EU, from one country to the other. And wanted to know if the warranty will still be with the PPC.

Then the 2nd question concerns if it is a good choice with regard of other PDA/PPC releases. Are there plans of other PPC/PDAs in that time frame?

I will be using my PPC for note taking, offline/online browsing, reading mail, and maybe occasional watching of some TV episode. I have a SD 256 and Ultra Comact Flash card at 256 as well.

Darius Wey
12-31-2004, 03:34 AM
Is the Dell warranty world wide, if no by standard, can you buy it? Then also comes the question if it is no worldwide, how broad is the warranty? As I am also going to soon move inside the EU, from one country to the other. And wanted to know if the warranty will still be with the PPC.

If I recall correctly, the warranty is region-specific, although you can contact Dell and ask what the conditions are. I believe if you go to another country, you may be able to transfer the warranty, but again, you'd need to contact Dell on that one. They usually have a toll-free number. I'd give that a shot if you want to be 100% sure of the T&C regarding warranties.

Then the 2nd question concerns if it is a good choice with regard of other PDA/PPC releases. Are there plans of other PPC/PDAs in that time frame?

In January? I highly doubt it. Every month or two, you have the odd vendor releasing a random device, but if you're referring to a whole new wave of devices, personally, I wouldn't be expecting that in January, since I'd expect these new devices to incorporate the new WM2005 OS.

martinja
12-31-2004, 11:01 AM
When do you think devices will start incorporating the WM 2005 OS?

Menneisyys
12-31-2004, 01:21 PM
When do you think devices will start incorporating the WM 2005 OS?

When the new op. system comes, at last. When WM2003 was finished, the 2210 hit the helves ina few days. The delay between the finalized version of WM2003SE and real WM2003SE-based VGA devices was much higher, though, so we can't even say 'there will be some ubercool WM2005 device on the streets as soon as Microsoft freezes its development and releases it to OEM's'.

There're rumors that WM2005 will come some time in 2005. None knows anything for sure - will it be September? December? Early 2006?

If I were you, I wouldn't wait any more. IMHO it takes at least 9 months that something radically new/cool hits the shelves. The current VGA PDA's are, more or less, all incorporating everything current technology offers. There won't be a big tech breakthrough with a whole set of new devices in half a year. And definitely not the new WM2005 :)

Menneisyys
12-31-2004, 01:23 PM
BTW, also check out http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36025 on the same subject.