View Full Version : How do I get new Program Software on my SD card (iPAQ hx 4700)

John Holck
12-30-2004, 05:11 AM
My main memory is filling up quickly. I'm keeping things like photos on my SD card, where I still have plenty of space. I've bought a dicitonary, which I want put on the SD card. How do I do that?
Cheers/John

Darius Wey
12-30-2004, 05:15 AM
A week ago, a reader asked the question about putting pictures on to a storage card. Here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=311003#311003) is my response. If you replace the idea of "pictures" with dictionary eBooks, it works much the same way, but in short, I'd suggest you purchase a card reader. It's well worth the $10-$20 that it costs.

RD100
12-30-2004, 08:57 AM
Whenever you install a program using ActiveSync, it will first ask you if you want to install it to the Default Location. If you respond No, it will then ask you if you want to install the program to Main Memory or Storage Card.

Jereboam
12-30-2004, 11:36 AM
You would do well to take advantage of your iPaq File Store for some programs and most data...

The rule of thumb is, that anything that starts automatically after a soft reset, or Today Plugins, or any "critical" program, needs to go in Main Memory, and everything else can go into the File Store or on an SD/CF card.

So dictionary programs, finance managers, readers, music players to give a few examples, could all be offloaded to other storage to free precious memory. When they are run they will be loaded into Main Memory anyway.

The 4700 is particularly suited to tweakers like MemMaid or Tweaks2k2 where you can choose to offload your PIE cache, Avantgo cache, and so on to storage. You can also choose to keep mail attachments there, if you use your 4700 for email.

With no disrespect to these forums, the 4700-specific forum over at Brighthand is the place to go for this kind of advice...

J'bm