View Full Version : Halp!!! MY XDA O2 Just DIED!

VinzG
12-30-2004, 02:45 AM
Hi peeps, I'm new here. Happy new year to all!!!

I was charrging my XDA O2 last night and when I checked it this morning... NO POWER AT ALL!!! :cry:

What happened and where can I have it fixed or even replaced?

Thanks
:?

Darius Wey
12-30-2004, 03:15 AM
Hi VinzG, welcome to Pocket PC Thoughts. :)

Does it appear to be charging though? I suggest you try taking the battery out and putting it back in again, and conduct the recharge process once more. If that doesn't solve anything, let us know.

VinzG
12-30-2004, 09:14 AM
Hi VinzG, welcome to Pocket PC Thoughts. :)

Does it appear to be charging though? I suggest you try taking the battery out and putting it back in again, and conduct the recharge process once more. If that doesn't solve anything, let us know.

Did that too. No power at all. When I plug in the charger, no light, nothing. Even pressed the reset button, still nada. :cry:

Darius Wey
12-31-2004, 04:35 AM
So what you're telling me is that it's physically dead? 8O

Perhaps you got a rotten egg of a device. You may want to contact O2 for a replacement, if nothing else works (even a hard reset).

VinzG
12-31-2004, 10:24 AM
Good news guys!

I pulled out the batts from the unit and left it for 24 hours. Placed it back in... and it's now working!

thanks anyways. I still can't seem to figure out what really happened tho. :D

Darius Wey
12-31-2004, 03:13 PM
Basically, leaving the battery out for such a long period will help flush the device. That was what I suggested you do earlier: take the battery out and put it back in, but I just realised I forgot to tell you in my earlier post to leave it out for a while and to not pop it back in instantly. That was the original intention - my bad. :roll:

Great to see it's working fine though. ;)

VinzG
01-01-2005, 03:12 AM
Basically, leaving the battery out for such a long period will help flush the device. That was what I suggested you do earlier: take the battery out and put it back in, but I just realised I forgot to tell you in my earlier post to leave it out for a while and to not pop it back in instantly. That was the original intention - my bad. :roll:

Great to see it's working fine though. ;)

OOoooh ok. I did not have the patience to leave it for that long the 1st time cuz i practically was in a panic. hehehe.

Thanks again! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! :)

koppee1
01-03-2005, 02:11 PM
wow. I'd piss in my pants and faint if that happened to me hehe. 8O

Kadegboye
01-07-2005, 06:51 AM
Hi,
By leaving your device on the charger overnight may be overcharging your device and therefore reducing the lifespan of your battery. In fact, to prolong the life of your battery, it is good to let it run down very low or out sometimes before you recharge it. Some manufacturers say it does not matter but I know it does in many cases from experience. I think what happened to your device is that overcharging the battery had an adverse effect on your battery. I would suggest you don't leave your device on the charger for too long a time. I use XDA II and as soon as my device is fully charged, I remove it from the cradle.
Best of luck.
Kay.

Graeme1
01-10-2005, 09:23 PM
Hi,
I read somewhere that these days with the new batteries its not good to drain them and in fact it is much better to always top them up.

If I can remember where I read it I will post.

Graeme

Kadegboye
01-12-2005, 04:24 AM
Hi,
That is good! I would like to see it when you can find it. However, I would want you to remember what I wrote. I top up my battery regularly but once in a while, I intentionally allow it to run very low before I recharge it. I have used some batteries for up to six years and I cannot remember once when I had to change my battery because it went dead. However, when I see this new piece of advice and I can authenticate it, I probably will consider changing this practice that has worked so well.
Kay.

VinzG
01-12-2005, 05:58 PM
yeah, same thing i know about the NEW batt types. No memory effect and stuff and it's better to keep them charged.

hmmm...

dylanbj
01-14-2005, 07:48 AM
I read somewhere that with the Lithium Ion batteries (which I think is in most ppc's) its best to keep them charged up as much as possible. It also said you must not decharge them fully as it could kill the battery! They don't suffer the same limitations of the older types.

Menneisyys
01-14-2005, 08:14 AM
once in a while, I intentionally allow it to run very low before I recharge it.

This is the worst thing to do to a Lithium-based battery. Never run down a lithum-based battery, especially not intentionally, even if newer cells have some protection circuitry that doesn't allow for disastrous rundown ( see e.g. http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-5.htm ).

Menneisyys
01-14-2005, 08:16 AM
I read somewhere that with the Lithium Ion batteries (which I think is in most ppc's) its best to keep them charged up as much as possible. It also said you don't need to decharge them fully as its not needed.

I would change the expression 'don't need'/'not needed' to 'must not'/'prohibited'.

dylanbj
01-15-2005, 09:57 AM
I read somewhere that with the Lithium Ion batteries (which I think is in most ppc's) its best to keep them charged up as much as possible. It also said you don't need to decharge them fully as its not needed.

I would change the expression 'don't need'/'not needed' to 'must not'/'prohibited'.

Okay.

Kadegboye
01-16-2005, 05:32 AM
Hi,
Thanks for the reference. Prof Isidor Buchman's article on batteries is very informative. Unfortunately, his article did not completely address the issue at hand. He mentioned that the Lithion-ion battery is protected by a built-in circuitry that prevents the battery from extremes of voltage change during charging and decharging. He did not mention what happens to the life of the battery when it discharges very low. He also recommends that the battery should be 40% (not 100%) charged when storing it.
Any way, the article is very good.
Kay.