View Full Version : Free Internet

the_fire_starter
12-29-2004, 09:28 AM
So I got that sd wi-fi card for the H1940 and love it. one thing i was wondering though is, how do I jump on someone else's network. There are no open hot spot's where I live so that's no option. Any advice is appreciated

Zoot
12-29-2004, 11:04 AM
you could always buy a wireless access point ;)

Menneisyys
12-29-2004, 01:06 PM
So I got that sd wi-fi card for the H1940 and love it. one thing i was wondering though is, how do I jump on someone else's network. There are no open hot spot's where I live so that's no option. Any advice is appreciated

If you REALLY don't want to use your own Internet connection by buying and setupping a router + AP, check out "Wi-Foo : The Secrets of Wireless Hacking" by Andrew Vladimirov, Konstantin V. Gavrilenko, Andrei A. Mikhailovsky from Addison-Wesley Professional. It's prolly the best book that describes how toprotect/"break into" other networks by e.g. using Kismet etc.

Of course, all the legal stuff applies - I can't be sued for this post etc . ;)

Jorgen
12-29-2004, 05:08 PM
It is not necessary to be amoral or to break the law - and it is not cool to break into someone elses network any more than to it is to open an unlocked front door. There are free wi-fi networks around. Search Google for for example free hotspots ma if you live in Massachusetts.

Jorgen

the_fire_starter
12-29-2004, 08:25 PM
Ok I guess I came off as lazy here. I have my own network and it works great. I'm talking about when I'm out, I live in the very untechnological Canada where the few hotspots are pay set up by phone companies. I don't care to "hack in" just check my e-mail while I'm out or whatever I feel like, I don't think that should be considered a crime really.

Menneisyys
12-29-2004, 08:32 PM
Ok I guess I came off as lazy here. I have my own network and it works great. I'm talking about when I'm out, I live in the very untechnological Canada where the few hotspots are pay set up by phone companies. I don't care to "hack in" just check my e-mail while I'm out or whatever I feel like, I don't think that should be considered a crime really.

The bad news is that there're no hacking tools for PPC. Kismet and the other hacking tools are Linux and, to a lesser extent, Windows-only. So, you'll either need to lug around a notebook or a Linux-capable PDA (a Zaurus, or an old(er) iPAQ with some kind of Linux.

the_fire_starter
12-29-2004, 08:35 PM
I know it's next to impossible to jump on wep encrypted ones but there are lots that aren't even and I was wondering how to get on those.

Wiggster
12-29-2004, 08:46 PM
I don't think that this is the best place to come to ask how to get on other people's networks without permission. There have been plenty of debates here about whether it's all right to connect to networks that are completely open to anyone because they are on the default configuration, but if someone else's network isn't letting you on, tough. Getting access to a network that doesn't want to let you on IS "hacking in", which is a crime, whether or not you want your personal convenience to supercede the law.

If you want internet anywhere, get a cell phone with bluetooth and pay for an internet plan. If someone else lets you on their WiFi network, great. But don't try and break in to another network just because you want to check your email. It doesn't matter how benign an activity you're doing, and you can't rationalize it out as being okay. If the network is open, it'll let you on. If it won't let you on, give up. Don't try and break into other people's networks. This is not the place for that.

Menneisyys
12-29-2004, 08:55 PM
I know it's next to impossible to jump on wep encrypted ones but there are lots that aren't even and I was wondering how to get on those.

I don't understand you. You stated you don't want to join open networks, and now you're saying exactly the opposite.

1. You can get on open networks with anything PPC-based: WZC, WiFiFoFum, Pocketwinc, Odyssey etc.

2. Don't think WEP is so "strong". Just read http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1814 and you'll understand the inherent security problems with it.

the_fire_starter
12-29-2004, 09:00 PM
My definition of open must be different from yours, I mean the lock thing shows unlocked in AP browser, although I think I still need the SSID. You think of open as just can automatically conenct?
edit : What I meant by no open hot spots was no Public ones that weren't pay per play.

Menneisyys
12-29-2004, 09:08 PM
You think of open as just can automatically conenct?

Of course not.

Wiggster
12-29-2004, 09:11 PM
My definition of open must be different from yours, I mean the lock thing shows unlocked in AP browser, although I think I still need the SSID. You think of open as just can automatically conenct?
edit : What I meant by no open hot spots was no Public ones that weren't pay per play.

I define "open" as letting you get on without any credentials. Most open routers aren't properly configured, just using the default configuration, which lets anyone on. I think it's bad business to connect to strangers' networks without permission; not only are you using their network, but you could be exposing your device to a potentially hackable situation.

Again, the bottom line: if a network you've never seen and don't know anything about won't let you on, give up. They obviously don't want you on. If you want internet access wherever you go, don't rely on the ignorance or kindness of strangers. Pay for it yourself.

the_fire_starter
12-29-2004, 09:12 PM
ok.. In this [/url]slate.msn.com/id/2109941/device/html40 Article they lay out the basics of "stealing wi-fi" and give a list of default passwords. Is this on the right track?

Wiggster
12-29-2004, 09:15 PM
"stealing wi-fi"

Don't steal.

the_fire_starter
12-29-2004, 09:16 PM
That's cool you told me your opinion, which is the opposite of mine, but do you have to keep spamming it?

Steven Cedrone
12-30-2004, 01:58 AM
Actually, these debates rage on and on. The only thing that usually results from them are hurt feelings and problems between members of the community. I think it best we end this discussion now...

Thread locked...

Steve

Darius Wey
12-30-2004, 03:24 AM
Actually, these debates rage on and on. The only thing that usually results from them are hurt feelings and problems between members of the community. I think it best we end this discussion now...

I know this thread has been locked, but I thought I'd iron out the issues of wardriving and gaining access to wireless networks if you don't have privileges to do so.

Read this post here. (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=310824#310824) It may provide a sense of normality amongst this raging discussion.