View Full Version : Why are magazines reviewing the e800 and e400 like they are brand new?

Phillip Dyson
12-28-2004, 02:57 PM
I was browsing magazines yesterday and came across two that were posting reviews for the e800 and e400 like they were just released.

One of them even had both as editor's choice.

I know the magazines were not old because they also had the HP6300 and one had the HP4700.
They didn't miss label the devices because the 800 was listed as 400mhz with Pocket PC 2003.

I assume they were British because all monetary references were in pounds.

One was called PDA Essentials and I think one was called PDA Buyers Guide.
One of them I didn't trust too much. In the Table of Contents it listed the e850. But when I went to the review it was the e800. :roll:

Whats up with that?

Janak Parekh
12-28-2004, 05:41 PM
I guess the devices are still perceived as current as SE ROM upgrades were released...?

Interestingly, the e805 is still pretty cutting-edge except for the CPU, given its 128MB of RAM and 128MB of ROM (including a 96MB file store). The e405 is indeed a stretch, so I have no clue what's going on there. Maybe Toshiba is dumping their extra e4xx supply on magazine reviewers. :P

As for the "e850", maybe the magazine is confusing the e805 and the e830. :| The e830 is indeed available in Europe and Canada, and has a faster processor and Bluetooth, I believe, and as such can be perceived as current.

--janak

Menneisyys
12-30-2004, 08:19 AM
One was called PDA Essentials and I think one was called PDA Buyers Guide.
One of them I didn't trust too much. In the Table of Contents it listed the e850. But when I went to the review it was the e800. :roll:

Whats up with that?

This is why you should only rely on REAL PDA tech enthusiast sites (e.g., PPCT, Brightand, PDAGold, PPCPassion etc). Other tech magazines, especially generic, not necessarily PDA-centric ones (PC World etc., or the Vogel mags in Europe) generally have tons of mistakes and false facts in their articles.

Also check out http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35455 on this subject.

Janak Parekh
12-30-2004, 04:50 PM
This is why you should only rely on REAL PDA tech enthusiast sites (e.g., PPCT, Brightand, PDAGold, PPCPassion etc). Other tech magazines, especially generic, not necessarily PDA-centric ones (PC World etc., or the Vogel mags in Europe) generally have tons of mistakes and false facts in their articles.
This is often true, but let me just point out that PDA Buyer's Guide doesn't fit this mold -- the folks over there are very knowledgeable and have done many very good reviews of Pocket PCs. Lisa, the editor-in-chief, posts here occasionally. :) I just looked at their site and there isn't an e805 review in sight -- in fact, they're very up to date.

--janak

Phillip Dyson
12-30-2004, 05:05 PM
I found a 805 review.
Albeit a year old.

I assume you're referring to http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/toshiba_e805.htm

:)