View Full Version : IMAP and Pocket Outlook

tschabo
12-28-2004, 08:58 AM
I just tried to set up an IMAP account on Pocket Outlook. It is able to sync with all the folders I created on the PC (running Outlook or Outlook Express accessing the same IMAP account). However, I have seen the following two problems.

1) When I send an email from Pocket Outlook, it is not saved in either the 'Sent Items' or 'Inbox.Sent' folder even though I specified during setup that I want to store all the sent items.

2) When I delete an email in any of the IMAP folders, the email will get moved in the 'Deleted Items' in Pocket Outlook. Only when I purge that file in that folder, it will disappear from the IMAP. However, the problem is that the file (that should have been deleted from the account) reappears again in the folder I orginally deleted the file from.

Janak Parekh
12-28-2004, 05:36 PM
"Inbox.Sent"? What IMAP service are you using? If you're using a Maildir-based IMAP service on a UNIX server like Courier IMAP, you're going to run into trouble with Pocket Inbox, as it doesn't support custom prefixes like most desktop IMAP clients.

In that case, solutions would include:

1. Use a different client that supports folder prefixes, like WebIS Mail (http://www.webis.net/p_webismail.php).

2. If you're a UNIX sysadmin, you can switch to a different Maildir-based IMAP daemon, like Binc IMAP (http://www.bincimap.org/), which allows a different folder organization.

--janak

tschabo
12-28-2004, 06:39 PM
I am not a system admin and I used whatever IMAP service my domain/email hosting provides has.

The inbox.sent, inbox.trash, and inbox.drafts folders (that I see on my PPC) were created automatically after sycing the very first time.

Janak Parekh
12-28-2004, 06:49 PM
Yeah... then they use a certain kind of IMAP setup that Pocket Inbox doesn't work very well with. :(

You may want to try and download the trial of WebIS Mail and see if you get better results with it -- I believe it has a prefix field where you can specify "INBOX." which is what one's supposed to do with desktop clients. There are some promotions floating around on it which make it cheaper as well.

--janak