View Full Version : Review of PPC-660x from a Treo 600 User

HobbesIsReal
12-28-2004, 12:29 AM
I wanted to share with you a review I posted on another forum sometime back. I will follow up with some Q&A from that forum as a result of this review....as well a couple follow ups a few weeks after the review.

(I can tell you now, this will be long, so don't flame me, jut skip it if you don't care about the PPC-660x. This is for those of you who want an honest opinion in helping to decide which way may be right for you....if this is you please read on).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Review of PPC-660x from a Treo 600 User
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My first impression was very impressive. Compared against the Treo there are several pros and cons to both phones. I going to try to give an objective point of view to my impression of the 6601, not a list of specs....but of real everyday use.

I have been forced into a unique opportunity to evaluate the 6601 as mine is apparently defective. Everything works great on the phone, except it cannot sync. (There have been no other reports of my problem that Sprint is aware of. They are going to examine my phone in detail to verify this is an isolated issue with my phone.)

So I have had the chance to evaluate the phone for a week on the road with NO 3rd party software installed on it. I have been using it just as it is out of the box. I will pick up my replacement phone tomorrow and will follow up with another review with 3rd party enhancements, i.e. voice command, start page add-on, etc...

Size: I wanted to cover this first as this is probably the number one fear factor against the 660x. I have to say that I have VERY small hands for a man, so this was a concern for me when I ordered it before I had a chance to hold it.

There is no doubt that the 660x is wider and taller than the Treo...we have all seen the pictures and seen the specs. But even I find it still very manageable, though not quite as comfortable as the Treo. I can even open the keyboard one handed quite efficiently (though it is easier with two). If you are looking for that sleek, sexy, small, cute phone that will close the deal for your Saturday night date, then this is may not be for you.....unless you put her picture as your wallpaper on the incredible screen (not a recommended tactic if you have not gone out with her yet!)

I am sure that the specs show the 6601 weighs more, but when holding it that thought never even entered my mind. It is very light, especially compared to other attempts at a PPC based convergence phone.

Pro or Con? I would not count this as an official con as I feel they did a good job in keeping a relative small size with such a large and incredible screen. Though I understand that for some a single mm larger than a Treo is deal killer, no matter what the benefits are. Please see next section for final opinion.

One Handed Operation: I do have to say that yes there is no doubt that it is easier with one handed operation on the Treo. But with that said, I have found that I can do a lot with the 11 buttons on the phone, especially since that 8 of them can be assigned to any program or a selection of commands. For instance, I assigned one button to switch from Landscape and Portrait with just a click of a button. Also with one click, I have my contacts, my calendar, my phone, web Brower, Media player, or email. Most of these are available with a single tap of the finger on the start page as well....along with a summary of the status, i.e. "3 unread emails for Personal Email Account", so you know at a glance if you even want to check it out or not.

Now with voice command added, I can see how this will only be enhanced. You can just say a name and have it dial the number. You can say the name of a program and it will launch.

Pro or Con? The Treo is more one handed friendly, but not so much as to make this issue even close to a deciding factor. Bottom line is Yes, I can do most of what I want to one handed on the 660x, i.e. make a call, launch a program, etc... but do find it more comfortable using two hands, often times just for additional piece of mind for not dropping a new $629 phone. The bigger your hand the easier on handed op is....and believe me you will find it easier than I do.

Navigation: This follows right behind one handed operation. Before I get into this......This is not a chance to flame in defense of your loyalty to an OS. This an observation in actual use.

As far as navigating the OS, I have read a lot of Palm users complain or express concern in how cumbersome a PPC is to navigate......but in practice I do not find a huge difference from Palm. I am sure that most Treo users had some sort of launcher, i.e. Zlauncher or SilverScreen. That was organized in folders with programs inside. You browsed the folders and then selected the program you wanted and launched it. Some did this with a the 5-way nav and some with a stylus.

Mobile 2003 on the 660x it is the same way. All one handed, just push the physical menu button and then with the 5-way navigation select a recently used program, a favorite program always at the top of the menu, or Programs to browse the folders. I have found that the most used programs are available with one of the 8 programmable buttons, on the Start Page, or wind up right there ready to launch on the Start Menu without browsing the folders. I never would have guessed, but to my dismay, I found that I could find and launch programs faster on the 6601 than I could on my Treo.

A Start Page add-on, will only enhance the ease of this process.

I have found that I can use my finger for a lot of stylus use. I have only really used the stylus when taking notes, or working in a specific program like Excel, using the File Manager, or playing a game.

Keyboard: This is very nicely layout out and easy to use. I was little worried about the keys not actually being buttons, but I have not missed a button I have aimed for yet, my superior gift for typos not withstanding. When using the Keyboard, you really do need to use 2 hands to get your typing done with any speed, but I always used 2 hands when I used the keyboard on my Treo as well.

The footprint is definitely bigger than the Treo with the Keyboard slid out, but when you are done actually typing, it is easy to slide it away. Even with the keyboard left out, it is still easy to navigate one handed as stated above. I will tell you, if you want to get some attention with the Wow factor, just slide that keyboard out when someone walks by, and believe me you have their attention. It really is pretty cool, as well as nicely designed and easy to use.

The sliding action of the keyboard feels solid, with no concerns about it wearing or breaking.

The con to the keyboard is that it is not always out.

The Pro to the keyboard is that it is not always out.

The truth is I have found it all depends on the situation....but I am finding it nicer to have it not always out, but easily accessible.

Bluetooth: I do not have a headset yet, but I did buy a USB BT adapter for my laptop, a BT Keyboard, and a BT mouse. It worked great. They found each other just fine. Without ever using BT before, I was able to establish BT serial connection with ease.

A Sprint National Sales Manager did tell me that the Treo is going to be limited in BT accessory support, i.e. not supporting BT GPS, etc... But the 660x do not appear to be limited.

Once I get a phone that can sync, I will be able to that with ease with BT.

Screen: I have already mentioned the screen several times....it is great!!! It is bright enough in the sun and not blinding at night. It does have a yellow tint at every tilted any, except from the top right direction. The color is great. The ability to switch to landscape and portrait with a click of a programmable button is really nice, especially when browsing the web or files, i.e. spreadsheets or Word Docs.

Phone: The earpiece sound quality is better than my Treo 600 was. I have asked several people on the other end and they said I sounded just fine on their end as well.

Though the 600 offered a speaker phone, and the 660x does as well. The speaker quality good, though not up to the quality of Nextel the king of speaker cell phones. When asked the other side how I sound, they said that I do sound like I am on a speaker phone, but was easy to hear to me.

The reception was has been great so far. Even going over mountain passes I had 2 bars of reception where I know for a fact my Treo was out of service.

The Treo starts with the phone loaded and then you switch to the PDA, the 660x is just the opposite....it starts with the PDA OS and with a single click you can launch the phone app to make a call. Just like the Treo, you can receive calls no matter where you are.

It seems very well integrated in with the contacts with a call History that is still showing my complete list of outgoing and incoming calls.

The only big advantage I can see that the Treo has is that with the keyboard always out, it is easier to hit a letter to jump to a contact. Though voice command on the 660x will jump right to the contact you want to look up, which I find more useful unless in situation like a business meeting. Browsing the contacts with 5-way is very much the same on both.

The really cool thing I love on the 660x phone app that puts the Treo at a disadvantage is the Notes application at the bottom. How many times have you been on a call and needed run and find a pen and paper to jot down some vital info like a phone number or directions? No more worries with the 660x. With a tap on a icon, you have Notes open and ready for you to scribble on. Then you can select Recognize to have your scribbles converted into text!!! It will even keep your notes that you made attached to the call in your history! While on the road this week, I have found this single feature to save my life...almost literally, as I scribbled down directions in Notes on my 6601 (as I could not find a pen for the life of me) while driving lost in a bad part of town in a city I did not know at all at night while driving a Jaguar rental car.

I heard one person on another thread say that the 660x recognition was really bad, though it missed some things, I must say he must of had really bad hand writing, as it recognized numbers and words pretty good. It missed just enough to make me want to make sure it got it right, but was confident enough after a few tries to earn my trust.

Graffiti: This seems like a nice time to continue this topic. This is a feature that P1 failed to include on the Treo 650 yet again. The 660x gives you several software options for inputing data:

Software keyboard -- Never used it as you need the stylus and with a quick slide out keyboard seems reduntant.

Block Recognizer -- Have seperate dedicated sections at the bottom of screen for letters and numbers. Like in the old Palm days.

Letter Recongnizer -- Have seperate dedicated sections at the bottom of screen for Cap letters, Lowercase letters, and numbers. The screen section reminds me of the 1st grade paper that we all learned to write on with large lines and a dotted line across the middle to guide you with lower case letters.

Transcriber -- Very similiar to the Palm program Jot that I always used on my Treo. Very nice with the ability to set the recognition speed. You can write anywhere on the screen. Does a decent job, though seems to have challenges sometimes with recognizing Cap and Lowercase letters at times as well as sometimes things like 0 (zero) and O (cap letter o). Haven't figured out how to get it to do a period yet. Over all very impressive and handy at times with a quick edit of a word.

Web Browsing: Man all I can see is FAST.....this blew my Treo out of the water. In fact I never did browse the web much with my Treo because I didn't have the patience to wait long enough. But this week I intentionally went to some graphic intensive sights to see how it would do...and it did better than a dial up connection!!!! No exaggeration.

Plus it was really cool to switch back and forth between landscape and portrait with a click of a button to best view whatever page I was on.

The bookmarks are far better than the Treo, though still room for improvement. You can make folders and subfolders to help organize your bookmarks, but you can only save into the top level folder from the browser. You then have to use the File Manager to cut and paste into a subfolder, as it does not support drag and drop files. A pain, but would have been more than welcome to even have been able to do this at all on the Treo.

Email: You can have multiple email accounts. It supports POP3 and ActiveSync with MS Exchange 2000 or higher servers. It supports attachments and integrates docs and spreadsheets into the MS Pocket Office, that comes already installed, very nicely. You can have it check your email how often you want in minutes. Easy to set up.

Business Connections works great!

But since my corp. office is not yet set up with Exchange, I am looking for a Dataviz InBoxToGo type program for the PPC that will work with my work email. Any suggestions?

The POP3 Accounts do work really nicely and pulls all my emails every 15 minutes.

Speed: I have read many people say that the PPC is sluggish and caused me concern when ordering my 6601, but I am glad to say that I do not see anything close to what they were saying. Programs load and work very fast. Maybe when I am able to get some 3 rd party programs on there, and I want to try a high end graphic intensive games to test it out, I may see what they mean......but so far I am VERY impressed with the speed of the unit.

WIFI: I have a 256 mb Wifi SD card read to pop in as soon as I can sync it up to install the drivers. But from what I have read, the Wifi Add-on card works great with the 6601.

Battery Life: I am probably heavier user than most, so pay attention to battery life. I also know that I have to accept the fact that I suck the life out of my battery with my continual use on the phone, getting and sending emails, SMS, and PDA stuff. I really do think that the Treo 600 has a longer batter life, but it also also has a lower res screen, slower processor, etc...so I am not sure that that is a fair comparison when talking about the 650.

The good thing is that the battery charges fast. So if you have a car adapter or are able to plug into a wall for a couple minutes, it will make a big difference. The included cradle also has a slot to charge a spare battery while the phone is in the cradle as well.

The bottom line is that if you use it a lot, and especially if you expect to use Wifi adapter card, then get an extra battery and a car charger. I also found a cool portable charger for the 6601 here:

http://www.boxwave.com/products/bat...apter/index.htm

It will be interesting to see how the battery life of the 650 holds up against the 600.

Con: This may be a con for some continual power users, but with how fast it charges, if you drive at all throughout the day (like on a lunch break) with a car charger, you will be able use it pretty much how much you want to. The average person will be able to get through their day without lick of a problem, but everyone will probably need to charge every night (or at least every other night) if they use it during the day.

Accessories in the Box: You get a cradle, with a spot to charge an extra battery in the back. A wall adapter. A nice stereo phone headset (it is weird to make a call and hear the other person in both ears!). An extra stylus. A very wimpy manual. A CD, with a more detailed manual, and additional software, i.e. ActiveSync, etc.. It also comes with a nice lower end sideways case. It has a vinyl bound metal belt clip and a over the top flap with a light magnet latch. It is a lot better than the Treo slip sleeve and will get you buy until you find a 3rd party case that you like.

Conclusion: Most of the concerns and fears expressed on forums for the 660x I have found to be largely unfounded or exaggerated (probably mostly by those who have not had a chance to use it yet), though I do recognize that they may be personally valid depending on your individual needs or likes as it takes all kinds to make the retail world go round.

One of things that I found most impressive about the 6601 is how comprehensive all of the bundled software is. Without being able to install any Add-on software, I was able to do everything I needed to while on the road. Of course, 3rd party software is going to open up an even better world, but the core apps are very nice.

If I had to say the top two cons....with my small hands, it would be the width of the phone, though as stated before it is not a bad size, just that the Treo does set a little more snug in my hand. Second, even though the sliding keyboard is easily accessible and nicely laided out, having the keyboard always available on the Treo is sometimes an advantage.

The best features after a couple days on the road....Nice screen size (with landscape viewing), taking quit notes while on phone, good phone integration, fast web browsing, and easy access to favorite programs.

At the end of the day I am glad I got the 6601. I tend to upgrade my phone every 12 to 18 months, so when the Treo 700 comes out, I will be looking at that to see if it has stepped up to the plate to regain the lead as the 600 did during it's release.....or if the next generation following the 6600 will stay a step ahead of the trend that the Treo started.

HobbesIsReal
12-28-2004, 12:33 AM
Here are a some Q&A from when I posted this review on another forum:

btw I am eager to try to browse the web with faster rendering as you imply. this is correct, no? could you time loading www.cnn.com?
Okay, here's the scoop on CNN.com.....I have full reception strenght with 4 bars. This is a good page for me to test as I have not been there yet on this phone so there are no worries about having the page or any of its graphics in cache. Please note that I downloaded the actual page, not a PDA enhanced page.
0 seconds: Clicked the Go To button
14 seconds: Page first appears
21 seconds: Able to scroll through and read the whole page with most of the graphics already completed
34 seconds: Completed loading the whole page, but I could not find which graphics it took this long to download as they seemed to all to be already downloaded.

So the bottom line is that within around 20 seconds I was able read and browse the CNN.com webpage the first time I accessed it. Heck it has taken me longer to bring up CNN.com on a good dialup connection!

So, how does the unit feel up to your ear when talking? It feels okay to me. It is squarish so it does feel different than a regular phone. The ear piece is raised just right so it is easy to find your ear and fits nicely. Being so slim (which is a good thing) does make it hard to use your shoulder to hold it as you shoulder has to go all the way to your ear. The stereo headset is nice and very clear.

Why do you really need to have access to Wifi with Vision? It's not a big deal that the 650 doesn't
Here is my answer to that at concerning why Wifi is needed in the 650, which should help answer your question (please forgive me as I directing this post at those complaining that other people wanted Wifi availability):

Whiners whining about the Wifi whiners whining about no Wifi!
( http://discussion.treocentral.com/s...ead.php?t=61263 )

What Software would you recomend buying first with a new 6601?
There are Three Software Must Haves for the 660x (which please note this is much less than my Software Must Have list for my Treo). I must also be honest and say that these three recomendations have many tools, tricks, and utilities that I feel should have been already included in a MS OS, i.e. file drag and drop or option to have close button actually close a program:

Must Have: VOICE COMMAND: ABSOLUTELY A MUST!!!! Whether this should of already been standard on the phone could be debated, there is no doubt the $30 is more than worth it. There is no voice training. You do not have to assign a voice command for each contact or software program. The program reads the names and listens for you to say it. It is ready and accurate right out of the box.

Since I don't use Voice Memos, I assigned that button for the Voice Command. You just click the button say "Call <Name> on mobile" and it calls their cell phone. It is even smart enough to confirm if it is not sure. You can even say "Launch <Program Name>" and it will launch it for you....no nav through menus or folders to find it.

Must Have: SPB POCKET PLUS: This is both a start page enhancement along with several OS addons (think of them as Palm OS hack enhancements).

The Start Page. Ever since I installed this, I don't think I have gone into Programs or Settings to find a program yet. This makes every program on your entire handhald available, including system utilities like connections or ringtones, all on your start page. Or you can only have your most favorite and mosted used there. You can create up to 5 tabs to organize your programs.

>> OS Enhancements.
>> Close Button. You can actually have the program close with the close button. You also set it up to do stuff like minimize on tap and close on tap and hold on the close button.
>> Pocket IE. This adds the following to Pocket Internet Explorer:
>> Open Link in a new Window (invalulable with the way I browse the net).
>> Full screen support.
>> Page save ability.
>> Picture save ability
>> Copy link to clipboard
>> Taskbar Battery Indicator. Nice and really small along the top of the unit. It does not take up any screen real estate while letting you know how your battery is doing at a glance.
>> File Explore. This adds the following to File Explorer (which if you Resco makes this a mute point):
>> Enable ZIP support
>> Enable Storage card format support
>> Add Properties to the context menu
>> Add folder up button.
>> Program Manager. You can have a program manager, or least switch between running programs, added to the context menu.

Must Have: RESCO EXPLORER 2003. All I can say is that this really does give you just about every tool you have come to expect from a file explorer. Nicely laid out and very easy to use. Supports file drag and drop.

HobbesIsReal
12-28-2004, 12:34 AM
Here is my follow up two weeks after I posted the review above:

It is a good thing that I am not a gambling man, because the odds have been against me lately. I had the unfortunate event of having my screen crack in the bottom left corner on my 6601. During the process to have it exchanged through warrenty rather than insurance (my new phone should be here tomorrow) I had a great opportunity to really test the navigation of the 6601 on the road WITHOUT using the stylus for over a week.....which is a major con claimed by many 6601 detractors (aka Treo Diehard Defenders ) that you have to use the stylus for everything on the 6601.

I could still use the touch screen but the bottom 1/4 of it was WAY off calibration, if I could use it at all with touch. So I was left mostly with hardware buttons, the keyboard, and voice command for the majority of what I wanted to do.

This has only confirmed my original review of the ease of navigation with the 6601. I would first use voice command to dial a number, look up a contact, or launch a program. If I was not able to do that (i.e. in a business meetting), it was really easy to use the 5 way nav to launch any program I wanted. To manually look up a contact I just clicked the contact button and either 5 way nav'ed down or simply typed in first letters of the name. So I can now say that I rarely used the stylus for over a week on my 6601 while on the road with heavy phone, PDA, web browsing, and email use.

If I absolutely had to use the touch screen, I was able to switch to landscape mode that rotated the button to the top of the screen that worked just fine....an unexpected perk for the ability to have both landscape and portrait screen modes!

The only exception to this was games as so many cool games are stylus dependent.

Again, is the Treo more one handed friendly.....most certainly!!!!!! But is it that much of an difference to make a deal weighing decision.....certainly NOT!!!!!!

HobbesIsReal
12-28-2004, 01:43 AM
Okay....it is official....all my pain and suffering with 2 defective phones :evil: , month long delays :razz: , and two lost replacement :bad-words: orders have paid off :lol: !!!

SPRINT IS SENDING ME A PPC-6600 to replace my PPC-6601....WITHOUT ANY EXTRA UPGRADE CHARGE!!!!

I don't even think these are even available to order yet!!! If I am not the first in the USA to get this phone from Sprint...then I am at least among the first few!!!

==================
Here is what happened (you can skip this part this is just therapeutic venting on my part):
==================

I have been trying to get my one with the cracked screen replaced for nearly 4 weeks now. It took two weeks to get authorization to replace the phone through warranty instead of insurance. They placed my replacement phone order on the 9th...sent the return kit but lost the phone order. My Sprint National Sales Manager contact then placed a second a replacement order for me on the 18th.....they lost that order too. But then they found my original order that now had 3 Samsung VG-1000 phones waiting to process!!!!! That is a joke of phone compared to the PPC-6601 (but nice just as stand alone phone). After contacting the National Sprint Manager again he directed me to cancel all orders, place a new order, and he was passing my case up for high visibility at Sprint Corp due to all the errors in taking 15 days to process a 3 day processing order by losing two orders, including the one he personally placed in my behalf. Two days ago I called placed a new order. Yesterday I called and confirmed it has shipped.

Today I got a call from the processing saying they have not shipped it, but need a CC payment to cover the phone until I return the old one. I explained the situation and asked if I can get the 6600 in instead because of nearly a month getting this resolved. She put me on hold....found a phone...and ordered it for me for no extra charge. The only catch is that is backordered and will be there anytime in the next 3-15 days.

Since I now have the BT mouse for my 6601 the cracked screen is not a big issue anymore, so it is worth the wait!

palmsolo
12-28-2004, 08:24 PM
Nice review! It is great to hear about real-life experiences with this PPCPE. I personally love my imate PDA2K and don't think any other device can touch it right now.

FYI, you can save Favorites into subfolders directely in Internet Explorer without having to go to File Explorer. Tap the Star in the bottom toolbar, then tap the Add/Delete tab at the bottom, then tap on any folder you have created, then tap the Add button.

Enjoy the device and keep spreading the word.

One other MAJOR advantage is the limited RAM of the Treo 650 compared to the generous 128MB RAM and approx. 50MB ROM available on the Phone Edition.

volwrath
12-30-2004, 01:02 AM
Good review, but the Treo 650s browsing is faster than you described with CNN.

HobbesIsReal
12-30-2004, 01:21 AM
You may be right, as each geographical area can have different factors with the local network speeds....limited bandwidth, signal strength, etc...

I was only refering to the same area on the same network with the Treo 600 and the 6601.

zoomer777
01-03-2005, 08:12 PM
More info and pics pls!!! I am a T600 user, thinking of getting the 660X - kinda of holding out for the 6600 to be released though. How did you purchase this unit? I might spring for the 6601 if I can get a customer loyalty discount, but otherwise, I will have to wait until they release the 6600 in consumer channels!

Some stuff that worries me - battery life and size. I know you talked about this already, but any additional comments the more you use the device?

timb
01-04-2005, 03:07 AM
I find on my pda2k, I get about 4 hours of DiVX viewing, 30 minutes of playing Age Of Empires, GPRS and Bluetooth on full time, plus another 10 hours of standby. (I'd say after the movie and game, I got about 2~3 of talk time in + Web Browsing, with still 1/4+ battery left.)

So, I'd say, Battery is -REALLY- not an issue. The only thing that kills it for me, is WiFi.

-Timothy

zoomer777
01-04-2005, 04:53 PM
I find on my pda2k, I get about 4 hours of DiVX viewing, 30 minutes of playing Age Of Empires, GPRS and Bluetooth on full time, plus another 10 hours of standby. (I'd say after the movie and game, I got about 2~3 of talk time in + Web Browsing, with still 1/4+ battery left.)

So, I'd say, Battery is -REALLY- not an issue. The only thing that kills it for me, is WiFi.

-Timothy

Whoa...I can't figure out how much time your saying here. You did all the above without charging? So, 4(divx)+.5(game)+2.5(talking)+?(web browsing) = 75% of battery used (7+hours). I know it's hard to measure battery life, but your listing sounds confusing and like good news at the same time. So, with heavy use, you can still make it easily through the day?

timb
01-05-2005, 01:39 AM
Sorry, was half a sleep when I wrote that.

Yes, I can get about 6 hours of heavy use and still have 1/4 battery left.

(GPRS on full time, no bluetooth or wifi.)

-Timothy

Janak Parekh
01-05-2005, 02:37 AM
Not necessarily... HobbesIsReal was talking about the CDMA version, while you were talking about the GSM version. One thing I've found is that 1xRTT and faster connections really kill a device's battery. I presume similar things will happen when UMTS devices come out for GSM.

--janak

HobbesIsReal
01-05-2005, 07:48 PM
I will recap what I have posted throughout a couple threads here:

Whenever you have a phone that offers all the functionality and features that this phone has (large screen, BT, Wifi support, Vision, etc..), you will have to be aware of battery life.....but not necesarily concerned.

At worst....it is as advertised. Runing heavy use and talk time for 3-4 hours with 2 week standby time.

At best...it surprises me at how well it does.

As with ANY phone, it is the communication tools that suck the battery life. BT will eat through the power faster, but not near as bad as I thought it would be before I got the phone. The Socket Wifi card is a low consumption card, and will go through power even faster, but not bad if you are aware of it and plan for it.

For example yesterday I flew home from Dallas yesterday with a full charge in the morning and here is what I did with my phone:

Unpluged and started Standby time starting at 7:00 am
Talk time through whole day around 45-65 minutes
BT time with BT Keyboard & BT Mouse 60-80 minutes
Reading news on Express / Playing games 35-45 minutes
Charged phone for exactly 12 minutes at a plug waiting for plane.
Email check every 30 minutes with Vision.
Forgot to plug phone in when I FINALLY got home with 2 delayed flights.
This morning at 9:00 am it was still at 20%

This would have been good even for my Treo 600. I have all the same tools for surviving battery life for my 6601 as I did for my 600:

Extra battery
Travel wall Charger
Travel car charger
AA battery portable battery supply (good for at least 1-2 recharges)

The thing I can say about the 6601 is that this is fastes recharging phone I have ever owned. I clocked it in the cradle charging a full percent in around 30 seconds. I think my car charger is around the same so, if you take a lunch break mid day and you charge it in the car along the way in twenty minutes you could charge your phone back up 30-40% and be ready for the rest of the day.

It all boils down to how you use it and, as with any phone, basic planning to meet your power needs.

zoomer777
01-05-2005, 08:41 PM
I'd like to know how you got your hands on the phone? Ordered straight up through the business channels? Any discounts? Or just 629.99 straight up? If you ordered through business, are you actually a business customer?

What is your experience with bluetooth on this thing? Do you use a BT headset? I heard that a Sony headset (forgot the model) which has an LCD is supported by this thing, including caller ID and answering! How bout bluetooth tethering with a laptop?

What about signal strength? I guess it would be best to compare it to the Treo 600 as this is what I currently use. If it can't lock onto the Sprint signal well, then it becomes much less desireable!

I have a zillion questions...but I won't bombard you with all of them. Seems like there is so little good info on this phone out there yet, and I'm getting tired waiting for the release of the 6600 (I mean, is the camera really worth it? NO! Main reason I'm waiting is for any consumer discounts and rebates that will come with it!).

Thanks for your time...

HobbesIsReal
01-05-2005, 09:27 PM
I am not a officially a business customer. I made a contact through my position at work with a National Sprint Sales Manager. He is the one that actually ordered me the 6601 before it was even available.

I am in the process of getting the phone replaced with the same unit when I asked if the 6600 was available, they checked and it was on back order for Jan 25th. Since the 6600 appears to be sold at the same price that the 6601 is at now, they did not have a problem with it, if I was willing to wait.

It would be worth a call to Sprint and see if you can order it. Or if you know anyone with a small business, etc. that can order it for you if you cannot. Not sure, I but I think maybe gov workers can order it too.

As for BT....I have sync with my laptop with BT with no problems. I use a BT keyboard and mouse all the time. I use the iTrek BT GPS without any issues beyond normal GPS quirks. I have not tried any BT headsets, but do no that there are issues with them. For example you cannot use voice command over them yet or play music through it. These will be fixed whenever the next update for BT comes out.

I get better signal strength with my 6601 than I did with my 600. My 600 would drop calls due to lost signal. Not a problem with the 6601. I have had 2 bars when in areas I know my treo had no service. Just about anyone else I have heard commment on this agreed it was the same in their area as well.

I hope this helps.

zoomer777
01-05-2005, 10:32 PM
Maybe I will just wait until Jan 25th. I've heard of a $100 customer loyalty rebate, and I doubt this extends to business channels.

Thanks for your responses! Any chance of more pictures? Especially of how the device looks in your hand...would love to see the size of this device.