View Full Version : Imate Jam storage / Main memory / SD

J273
12-27-2004, 09:39 PM
Hi guys recently got my Jam and not long been into PPC's

What id like to know though is when i go to install apps .etc You can either choose to install to SD / Main memory / Storage Could u tell me what the differnt parts are used for,If you get what i mean.

Like the Storage is that like an inbuilt hard drive,And whats best to install there?

Also whats best to install to the main memory,Is it best to keep that as empty as possible.

Is it the main memory that runs the programs and the storage that stores the programs like a hardrive,I like to have a lot of Homescreen plugins installed like Jounal bar and pocket weather is it best for these in the main memory or storage with is only having 64meg of both.and with these installed to this location will it slow it down,Thanks in advance

Darius Wey
12-28-2004, 02:58 AM
Generally, I'd install your programs on the SD card. If you use your Pocket PC a lot, you'll generally find yourself installing a lot of programs - and that's no exaggeration. For a unit like the JAM which doesn't have the most amount of RAM out there, you would probably want to reserve this for the storage card to free up your main memory. There are exceptions though. Today plugins generally should be installed into your main memory, since your SD card usually gets initialised after the unit is switched on, so you'd want your today plugins to be ready as soon as you flick the switch, so to speak. Generally, leaving a good deal of RAM available will allow the device to be a lot snappier, especially in multi-tasking, which is why a lot of PPC users out there prefer to install programs, as well as store files (particularly, audio and video), on the storage card. Now, with respect to the non-volatile memory, you can install programs on that if you wish. There certainly isn't any harm done, but usually, this is a good place to store backup files and what not, but so is the storage card.

So to cut a long story short, generally, I would install programs on your storage card (unless the program does not support it), today plugins on your main memory, and just reserve your non-volatile memory for backup files (but you can stick this on your storage card too).

J273
12-28-2004, 05:50 PM
Great thanks alot for the info,So the storage on the device is just lke the sd card but non removable,And the main memory is what is used to run the progrmas like a Pcs RAM,Is that right?,Thanks

Darius Wey
12-29-2004, 04:37 AM
Great thanks alot for the info,So the storage on the device is just lke the sd card but non removable,And the main memory is what is used to run the progrmas like a Pcs RAM,Is that right?,Thanks

If you want to stick to simplicity, you could liken the non-volatile memory as storage card memory in that they both retain their files on a hard reset, but they are two very different concepts which I won't go into unless you're very curious. ;)

With respect to the main memory (RAM), it is shared in the device for both holding files and programs as well as being used to help run programs. You could find some similarities to a PC's RAM but it's a little different.

J273
12-29-2004, 09:17 PM
Ok thanks alot :D