View Full Version : HP6315 vs Siemens SX66

dbudde
12-27-2004, 09:34 PM
Ok, I am taking my first full dive into a pocket pc. I know I am interested in PocketPC more than I am in Palm phones for mostly compatibility reasons. I am locked into Cingular as a carrier. My uses for the phone will be Bluetooth wireless headset, MP3 player, organizer, entertainment, etc....

If I use it for internet or email, it will only be through the WiFi, as I will not be buying any data packages for the phone. Now that you know my interests, I will list my questions.

I do not know yet if I can buy the HP and have it unlocked to work with Cingular, but I will be finding this out. One difference I noticed between the two is that the HP has 64 Mb of ROM and 64Mb of RAM while the Siemens has 64 ROM and 128 RAM. The ROM is read only, so why does it mater how much ROM it has, it CAN'T be written to correct? and how much performance difference would I see between the 2 models with the Siemens having more RAM? Feel free to explain the differences in the ROM and RAM and how they will help me. I happen to like the HP a little better as I like the brand, but I wouldn't mind the Siemens if people can let me know it is a good brand also.

Next, I have noticed that the from the forums here the Siemens SX66 uses Bluetooth 1.0 while the HP uses 1.1 and that this limits the performance of wireless headsets with the Siemens. I believe from the forums also there are fixes for this, so my question is, could someone confirm there is a fix for the Siemens bluetooth?

Lastly, does anyone have any recommendations as to other models I should look into? Like I said, I'm not into Palm models so please just recommend PocketPC models.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Daniel

Cybrid
12-28-2004, 10:19 AM
Basically since there is no "hard drive" there is only the RAM to which data can be stored to/ used from and this applies to programs as well. any application is on the RAM or uses RAM as it runs. Thus 128 is better since you are less likely to run out of it.

There is a "cheat" where with a memory card you offload some of this data onto the memory card but this doesn't help when a running app/program is eating up all the available RAM.....

The ROM is permanent memory and is rarely written to. This is where the operating system wm2003 is stored. This is upgradeable provided manufacturers are willing to provide the upgrade :roll:
A bigger ROM may mean some of this memory is available for "less volatile memory". A dead battery will wipe the RAM clean but not the ROM.
Also if the upgrade happened to be too big for certain devices ROM then?
This is sort of a minor concern.

Make sure you buy an SD card to go with whichever you decide...see second paragraph.

threedaysdwn
01-04-2005, 02:13 AM
Other main differences:

The SX66 (like all its HTC Harrier brethren) has a far, far faster processor than the HP phone (400mhz Xscale vs. TI OMAP). It's also smaller, has no protruding antenna, and has the keyboard built-in (instead of a bulky snap-on).

Personally, I'd go with the Siemens phone any day (in fact, my Sprint/Audiovox version of that phone should be coming tomorrow!).