View Full Version : when is the next wave of VGA PPCs

firewired
12-27-2004, 08:15 PM
I am in no hurry to get my next device, and for me form factor is the paramount issue. I need to keep the device comfortably in my front shirt pocket all day. I would love to get a VGA screen in the sub 6 ounce range. Is there any information, or rumors for next wave of VGA devices to come out? Are there any conventions coming up, like COMDEX when devices are routinely announced? Thanks for any insights.

Menneisyys
12-27-2004, 08:59 PM
I am in no hurry to get my next device, and for me form factor is the paramount issue. I need to keep the device comfortably in my front shirt pocket all day. I would love to get a VGA screen in the sub 6 ounce range. Is there any information, or rumors for next wave of VGA devices to come out? Are there any conventions coming up, like COMDEX when devices are routinely announced? Thanks for any insights.

I don't think a new wave of VGA devices will come soon - after all, it's for only few months that the latest VGA models are out. I don't think any of the manufacturers that have any VGA device out would risk killing its sales by releasing an even improved model in the next 3-4 months. I don't think any new device comes before Summer.

So, I'd say get a VGA device now because it's unlikely that new VGA devices will surface in the near future.

surur
12-27-2004, 10:15 PM
Well, the Loox 720 is exactly 6 ounces, quite thin and due to the size of the screen the narrowest of the current crop of VGA pocketpc's

http://www.aximsite.com/articles/link.php?id=200

Looking at my Loox ;) I can see little scope for making it narrower (unless an even smaller screen is used). It could probably be a bit shorter, and if you leave out the CF slot, a little thinner, but it appears the CF fans won, as there is no high-end ppc without a CF slot currently.

So, in short, the Loox is the best you can get currently, pending a lower end ppc without CF slot and shorter design (which may make it awkward to hold)

Surur

Darius Wey
12-28-2004, 02:54 AM
So, I'd say get a VGA device now because it's unlikely that new VGA devices will surface in the near future.

I'd be expecting a wave of new devices to debut when the next OS debuts. But to keep in context with the question, I wouldn't expect anything soon. You'll see one or two odd devices popping up here and there, but I wouldn't expect anything major with releases in the next couple of months. So if you're hoping to grab a VGA device now, by all means, it's a good time to do so, unless you want to wait until the next lot of devices are released.