View Full Version : X50 416MHz: Any cons?!

KristyS9
12-27-2004, 02:32 AM
This PPC looks like a pretty good deal. Are their any cons like I am reading about the new X50v (screen sensitivity issues)?

Thanks!

Darius Wey
12-27-2004, 03:01 AM
Well, that variant of the X50 lacks integrated Wi-Fi so you'd have to search for a Wi-Fi card add-on if you wanted to add the functionality. However, the price difference between the X50 416MHz and 520MHz is usually less than the cost of an extra Wi-Fi card, so you may want to go up and grab the next model. Either way, both have QVGA, but the 520MHz model, apart from the faster processor and integrated Wi-Fi, also has 128MB ROM as opposed to 64MB, and a cradle. IMO, if you're going to go for the X50, I'd either go for the mid-range or high-range model, as opposed to the low-range 416MHz, because if you weigh up your options and possible accessories you may wish to add on, the cost will probably blow over the top, and you will probably be better off spending that little bit extra for the 520MHz model. My two cents. ;)

KristyS9
12-27-2004, 03:17 AM
Thanks! I think the higher end X5's are a little out of my price range. Besides the MHz's the only difference I see is in the wireless options.

I am new to wireless. If I have Integrated Bluetooth Wireless Technology then I would need something like my cell phone to connect to the internet where as the integrated 802.11 would let me hook right up (pending there is wireless network to connect to)? Is this correct?

Thanks!

Darius Wey
12-27-2004, 03:24 AM
I am new to wireless. If I have Integrated Bluetooth Wireless Technology then I would need something like my cell phone to connect to the internet where as the integrated 802.11 would let me hook right up (pending there is wireless network to connect to)? Is this correct?

Yes and no. Bluetooth and 802.11 are different technologies. I'll talk about Bluetooth (BT) first. BT allows you to connect your mobile phone and Pocket PC together, so if you wanted to use your phone as a modem and hop on the internet that way, you certainly can. Bluetooth also allows you to set up PAN (personal area networks). The range is limited on the Pocket PCs (in most cases, ~10 metres), and the data speed isn't anything fantastic either (~700kbps). However, if you have Bluetooth on a computer at home that's connected to the internet, you can certainly set up a network or an ActiveSync connection and use the internet (and check your email that way). However, the limited range and data speed doesn't leave a lot to be desired for other purposes (e.g. media streaming). However, the BT technology has been improving as of late, but keeping within the realms of reality, your Pocket PC wouldn't feature this yet. Now, you can certainly do this networking with 802.11 as well. The advantages? Greater range and greater data speeds. If you do have some sort of wireless network at home, chances are, you'll probably have a Wi-Fi connection as opposed to a BT connection as the former is more of a "standard" these days. The added advantage is Wi-Fi tends to be more widely used in public hotspots as opposed to BT. So if you're in an airport lounge, or a public library, and you're in need of internet access, you can connect to their network (if you have access) with 802.11 as opposed to BT, since most public hotspots tend to use 802.11. Only a select few places use BT in these cases, but a lot of these scenarios are seen in Asian countries.

KristyS9
12-27-2004, 04:54 AM
Thanks! That helped. I don't really plan on doing any thing major with this. I just need something that I can take notes on, sync up my outlook, and open up some documents. If I happen to be in a public place that has a wireless network, that is a bonus.

I'm assuming that you need to subscribe to some kind of ISP in order to access the internet via 802.11 in a public place??

Darius Wey
12-27-2004, 05:03 AM
I'm assuming that you need to subscribe to some kind of ISP in order to access the internet via 802.11 in a public place??

It's not subscribing to an ISP as such. It depends on where you are in the world, but usually, there are (1) free networks you can access without an account, or (2) networks which require you to logon with an account (e.g. airline club lounges or book store memberships - things like that).

It's a useful thing to have. :)