View Full Version : NoteM on imate JAM: missing options?

antlab
12-26-2004, 06:24 PM
Hi all.
I'm new to the PocketPC world, and just received my imate JAM.
I installed NoteM, but found a big problem. Reading the manual, it should be possible to set the recording quality, under Tools>Options. But under Tools I only find the About item. I'm missing something or the program is not compatible with WM 2003 SE? I also read about the possible (not free) alternatives, in particular Resco and Vito. What do you think about them, in particular for a WM 2003 SE system as the JAM?
Thanks in advance.

Darius Wey
12-27-2004, 03:51 AM
Hi antlab, welcome to Pocket PC Thoughts. :)

Which version are you running? You should have NoteM 1.21 installed - link here (http://www.zavorine.net/wince/mp3.htm). If you wanted to set the recording quality, you have to select Tools > Options in the Preview Window. You should find the settings in the Recorder page.

antlab
12-27-2004, 06:33 PM
Hi Darius, thank you for the welcome (by the way, very nice your avatar :-))
Yes, I downloaded the correct version, but the first time I did not find the options under the menu. Today I reinstalled the software, and this time it works correctly.
Did you also try the alternatives, Resco and Vito?

Menneisyys
12-27-2004, 07:22 PM
Hi Darius, thank you for the welcome (by the way, very nice your avatar :-))
Yes, I downloaded the correct version, but the firt time I did not find the options under the menu. Today I reinstalled the software, and this time it works correctly.
Did you also try the alternatives, Resco and Vito?

The latest (!) VITO has as good sound quality as NoteM. It additionally has a lot of bells and whistles, e.g. slowdown/speedup options.

The latest Resco, however, still has a very lousy MP3 encoder - it just deosn't record high frequencies. I wouldn't use it at all because of this.

So, sound quality-wise both NoteM and VITO rock.

Another question is the power consumption. Unfortunately, VITO consumes about 30-40% more power than NoteM (measured on a 2210; on a PDA with generally more power consumption -like the PL720 -, the difference is not that big).

So, I'd say if you want to make QUALITY MP3 recordings, go for either the VITO app or NoteM. If, furthermore, power consumption is very important, go for NoteM.

antlab
12-27-2004, 07:56 PM
Thank you very much for the info Menneisyys.
For the moment I think I will stay with NoteM, and then eventually I will download the demo version of Vito.

Darius Wey
12-28-2004, 03:07 AM
Hi antlab, sorry - I forgot to answer that part of your question earlier. It slipped my mind.

VITO SoundExplorer 2005 has received very good reports. I posted a news announcement on it earlier when it was released, and Geekzone also managed to spin up a review on it here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35214). I'm sure you'll be impressed. But NoteM is a great addition to the Pocket PC nonetheless, so if you stick with that, I'm sure you will still be happy with its features. :)