View Full Version : Socket BT Nav Kit & HP2215 connects, works, but not paired?

Yahdie
12-26-2004, 05:44 PM
Santa brought me the Socket BT Nav Kit :lol: for my iPAQ 2215, for Christmas.
Everything worked fine with the set up BUT, when I start the (included) Map program, My Navigator, I have to choose the connection each time.
The choices are my 2 paired Cell phones and the Socket GPS.

So, my questions are
1) Shouldn't My Navigator automatically choose the correct connection at start up?
2)When I look at the list of Paired Devices in Bluetooth Manager, the Socket GPS is listed but, on top of the icon is a "?" symbol, what if anything does this Question Mark mean?

I have the Upgraded ROM v1.10, which should include the HP's Bluetooth upgrade/revision.

Any suggestions welcome,
TIA
-si

Stik
12-26-2004, 06:46 PM
when I start the (included) Map program, My Navigator, I have to choose the connection each time.
The choices are my 2 paired Cell phones and the Socket GPS.

So, my questions are
1) Shouldn't My Navigator automatically choose the correct connection at start up?
2)When I look at the list of Paired Devices in Bluetooth Manager, the Socket GPS is listed but, on top of the icon is a "?" symbol, what if anything does this Question Mark mean?

Yahdie,

Not sure about that question mark, but see if these steps will help.

Tap Bluetooth Manager
Tap Search. It should find your GPS unit as you've noted. Make sure the blue light on your GPS unit is flashing (transmitting a bluetooth signal).
Select Socket BTGPS unit and tap on Save.
Select "All" in the next screen.
Tap OK and OK again to apply this connection.

Hope this will help! If not, ( the :?: thing ) maybe go thru your appropiate country GPS User Guide to make certain that all the right steps were followed. Good luck!

http://www.socketcom.com/pdf/default.asp?Document=User%20Guide&Product=Bluetooth%20GPS%20Nav%20Kit

Sven Johannsen
12-26-2004, 06:54 PM
I think it is working pretty much as it should. The GPS progrom only connects to GPSs via a virtual serial port. It doesn't neccesarily know which serial port you want to connect to, if the BT assigned one isn't active when you start. If you have the serial port asociated with BT set up in the program options, it still doesn't know which if your BT devices that support a serial port profile you want to connect to.

I typically will go into BT manager and click my GPS (a Socket BTW) and connect it, before running any GPS software. That way when the program looks for port 7 (on my Axim) it already sees one and GPS data coming in on it.

As far as the question mark, I would recommend deleting the GPS item in BT Manager and setting it up again via the BT Manager wizard. Use the new device menu option and select Explore a BT device option. The Socket does have a pass key when you get to that step. Mine is 0183, as listed in the manual, but yours may be different, as mine is an older model.

Yahdie
12-26-2004, 07:05 PM
Sven,
Thanks, I will try everything again, BTW this versions passkey according to the manual is 1234.
-si

Gareth Lock
12-26-2004, 08:35 PM
I use TT3 with my 2210 and when I start TT3 it automatically launches BTManager and I select my Holux210 BT GPS. It to has a ? over the icon but it doesn't bother me or TT3.

Happy Navving.

Gareth
www.imagesoflife.co.uk

Sven Johannsen
12-27-2004, 03:06 AM
Sven,
Thanks, I will try everything again, BTW this versions passkey according to the manual is 1234.
-si

Well that's a bit easier to remember. Other stuff I have is just 0000. I keep that Passkey and others along with serial ports used on various PPCs in an Outlook note, in case I ever need to re-pair away from home. Putting it in a note ensures that it is available on any sync'd PPC.