View Full Version : X30 or X50 as GPS solution?

trollpatsch
12-26-2004, 05:05 PM
Hi everybody,

after checking out the Pocket PC market, I decided to order a Dell PPC. The main purpose will be GPS navigation. Right now, Dell Germany is offering both the X50 and the X30 with BT GPS systems. I am not sure which configuration I should buy, perhaps someone can help me.

Configuration 1: X30 with 624 MHz, 64/64 MB, WiFi, BT, BT GPS, TomTom 3.0

Configuration 2: X50 with 520 MHz, 128/64 MB, WiFi, BT, BT GPS, Navigation software (Dell doesn't say which, but I think it's TomTom 3.0).

The price is exactly the same, so battery life and system stability count most to me. Thanks in advance for any help!

Sven Johannsen
12-26-2004, 07:01 PM
With the same price I would go with the X50. The screen is larger, the device is physically nicer (IMHO), and you get the advantage of two memory card slots, SD and CF. A CF slot will provide you the ability to get a fairly large CF card to put maps on, for a reasonable price. You can use the SD card for program and regular files, and you can move the CF card in and out at will, leaving room for other peripherals or storage cards.

Some folks will comment on the availability of VGA screens on the X50v, but at this point I am not aware of any mapping software that takes advantage of it, and some that even have issues with VGA. So a QVGA device for GPS use is probably still appropriate.