View Full Version : External graphics interface - not available for certain Intel chipsets?

Prevost
12-26-2004, 05:35 AM
I would like to get an answer for this:

At Intel's page, I found that certain chipsets are listed as "N/A" for external graphics interface.

Does that mean they cannot handle a graphics card? I must think that's not its meaning, buy anyway I got puzzled.

OSUKid7
12-26-2004, 05:52 AM
Probably. Not applicable...there is no external graphics card (without addons).

Darius Wey
12-26-2004, 06:44 AM
Correct. In most cases, they will either stipulate that it has an external graphics interface (e.g. PCI Express 16x or AGP 8x, etc.), or they will state that it has no external graphics port. A case where they might use N/A is the 865GV chipset which typically does not have an external graphics port. Most integrated graphics solutions utilise the IGMA900 with DVMT 3.0, but the 865GV doesn't. It utilises the IEG2 driver (32MB/96MB DVM; system-dependent). It really all has to do with Intel's naming conventions. If possible, I'd steer clear of integrated graphics solutions unless you're on a tight budget and won't need the expandability in the near future.

Prevost
12-26-2004, 12:17 PM
Now, I fitted a PCI video card to my 810E motherboard.

Does what you explain mean, Darius, that in this regard the 865GV chipset is a kind of a backward step ??? Well, that is what I understand...couldn't a motherboard based on that chipset use even an old fashioned PCI video card?

Darius Wey
12-27-2004, 03:42 AM
Does what you explain mean, Darius, that in this regard the 865GV chipset is a kind of a backward step ??? Well, that is what I understand...couldn't a motherboard based on that chipset use even an old fashioned PCI video card?

Not really. Each motherboard utilises different chipsets, depending on its purpose. With respect to PCI video cards, they tend to be lacklustre in performance that they're hardly considered an option anymore. Granted, if your motherboard has a PCI slot, then you should be able to fit a PCI video card in, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will provide better performance than the onboard solution. So I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a backward step unless you have a very powerful PCI video card - and these days, if you want to spend the kind of money for something like that, you're better off opting for an AGP 8x or PCI Express solution. Also, the 8xx chipsets are a little old these days. They're being widely replaced with the 9xx ones now.