View Full Version : 5555 Fingerprint Reader or Software Not Working

timcolling
12-25-2004, 12:09 AM
Hi -

The fingerprint reader on my 5555 has stopped working properly. I get the same error even after hard-resetting the device and even after completely hard-resetting it by deliberately mis-entering the password more than six or eight times.

When I try to get the device to read a fingerprint, the first or second attempt to have the device "learn" a fingerprint produces an error dialog that has the following text:

Unknown error!
(status=2,error=-100,retCode=32)

Can anyone suggest what I can do to fix this, other than giving up on the fingerprint feature (the warranty expired two months ago).

Thanks,
Tim

Darius Wey
12-25-2004, 03:31 AM
What ROM version are you running? As a reference point, here's (http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us/locate/105_5644.html) a guide to what's available on your device..

timcolling
12-25-2004, 09:10 AM
What ROM version are you running? As a reference point, here's (http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us/locate/105_5644.html) a guide to what's available on your device..

It's the current version, according to that page. Just to be certain, I re-downloaded and installed the latest ROM, and the problem still exists.

- Tim

Darius Wey
12-25-2004, 02:17 PM
I can think of three options at the moment:

(1) Set the device to avoid fingerprint scanning during secure login, then soft-reset your device. From there, navigate to your iPAQ File Store and ensure you can view all files. Is there a BioSwipe file? If so, try deleting it, then re-enable the fingerprint security option and go through the process of configuring a new set of biometric data. Soft-reset and see if it's solved.

(2) If not, see if you can replace the relevant DLL files for the biometric recognition software using an older ROM version, if possible.

(3) There have been suggestions that the latest ROM causes this problem on some devices (although it's a rare occurrence). See if you can downgrade to the previous ROM and see if that solves it.

Let us know how it goes. :)

richnardone
12-27-2004, 07:43 AM
have you recently taken the unit apart?

timcolling
12-27-2004, 05:28 PM
have you recently taken the unit apart?

Nope, I never have done that. It did go in for warranty repair a few months ago, but the fingerprint reader was working when it returned.

- Tim

Darius Wey
12-28-2004, 03:27 AM
Nope, I never have done that. It did go in for warranty repair a few months ago, but the fingerprint reader was working when it returned.

Hi Tim. Did any of the suggestions work, or is it still "bullying" you? :wink:

timcolling
01-07-2005, 11:24 PM

Hi Tim. Did any of the suggestions work, or is it still "bullying" you? :wink:

Hi -

I found the solution through a suggestion from a person over on BrightHand. He suggested that I delete this file:

\Windows\Biowipe.dat

and that did the trick.

Thanks,
Tim

WyattEarp
01-08-2005, 05:28 AM
Then that means the info got corrupted. I wonder how many other people are having that same problem and don't know what to do. Definatley something to remember. Glad everything is right with the world again :D
I was trying to figure that out myself when you originally posted the problem, but didn't think of that. Simple solutions for complex problems.