View Full Version : WMP streaming via bluetooth

jess18a
12-24-2004, 06:44 PM
Hey all,
I am struggling to push my ipaq 4150 to the next level of functionality. I cannot afford a wireless card for the pc at the moment so am trying to get my using bluetooth but because it is secoind rate there is very little support for it and i am stumbling around in the dark. i have now (accidentally!) managed to sync via bt and have win VNC installed and working, so can control my PC which is great for watching movies on the pc. However I want to watch movies and listen to music streamed off of the pc onto my ipaq. Can Windows Media player do this and how? I have also installed Awox Media Controller ( as a second best) which is supposed to stream stuff but it will not discover my pc. Also is there a way to search for topics in the forums???

Thanks for your help,
Mike

Jorgen
12-24-2004, 09:26 PM
Well, these members did it http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34109&highlight=stream+bluetooth
and http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16660&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

If you want more: click on on the "Search" tab at the top of this page and enter as topic stream AND bluetooth (with the "AND" in capital letters!).

Good luck. I am please to see that BT apparently is fast enough so you don't get pauses. Please confirm this when you have tried it.

Jorgen

Darius Wey
12-25-2004, 03:41 AM
i have now (accidentally!) managed to sync via bt and have win VNC installed and working, so can control my PC which is great for watching movies on the pc. However I want to watch movies and listen to music streamed off of the pc onto my ipaq. Can Windows Media player do this and how?

Jorgen links to some great threads worth reading. Setting up a BT network (PAN) is not that much different to setting up a Wi-Fi network. Both still use IP addresses, and both still require the folder of interest to be shared. Philip's article on streaming is a great read and it should get you up and running as long as you have your BT network established with valid IP addresses allocated to both devices. Also, something like Resco Explorer will allow you to play remote content simply by tapping on the media file within the explorer window. That's worth keeping in mind if you're after a solution such as that.

themikeyd
12-25-2004, 01:10 PM
Thanks guys will try out again as soon as chrimbo is over with. so fustrating not being able to play with my pda for fear of being classed as anti social!!!!

Menneisyys
12-25-2004, 02:19 PM
The http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35797 thread is also worth reading. You can access your media files over BT PAN w/o transferring it to your PDA first OR running a specific streaming app on the desktop.

Just keep in mind that the actual, practical speed of BT won't exceed 200-280 kbps. That is, it's almost imposible to watch any tolerable/good-quality video over BT. However, listening to MP3's is pretty OK over BT PAN.