View Full Version : Maybe I`ll ring a Dell for Chistmas (with 128 ram?)

MROX
12-24-2004, 04:42 PM
Hi,

I was wandering if anyone is aware about shipping delay for a x50v in Canada? I heard there was a big problem with shipping. Is it true?

I also read in another forum, that Dell should release a new version of X50v with 128 ram. Did anybody heard about that story?

Ya, I'm still looking for my dream PPC. I'm changing my mind every 2 days.
The sure thing is, that it will be VGA. (I'm dreaming of a hx4700 without touchpad, a A730w without camera, a Dell with a better screen or a e830 who doesn't look and weight like my laptop.) But Dell is a serious candidate.

:) Merry Christmas!!! :)

TMann
12-25-2004, 05:48 AM
Hello! Welcome to the forum!

You know, I think that this whole business about the poor screen quality on the Dell has been drummed up by HP 4700 owners who are mad that their device doesn't have a normal D-pad. :D (Just kidding...no flames, please!)

I have had my x50v for about a month now, and I have been totally happy with the quality of the screen. To my eyes, it is bright, contrasty, and very readable. It works great for everything that I do. If you are migrating over from an older PPC with a QVGA screen, or from a Palm device, I guarantee you will LOVE the Dell's VGA screen.

Now I must admit that I have never compared my Dell x50v's screen to an HP, Toshiba, Loox, or Asus VGA screen, so there might be some discernable difference if you were holding them up side-by-side. But who cares! All of the new VGA devices have screens that are a vast improvement over their predecessors, so this idea that the Dell's screen is somehow inadequate for anyone's use it just silly.

My advice is to not stress about little subtle differences in speed, or screen quality and to get the device that has the features you need at a price you can afford.

- If you want a camera or the smallest design, get the Asus.
- If you want a larger screen and the biggest battery, get the HP.
- If you want a fast processor and a VGA screen for the least amount of money get the Dell.

You won't be disapointed in any of them. Just my 2 cents...

TMann

Fishie
12-25-2004, 06:34 AM
If you are happy with it more power to ya but as I have said from the start, if you are coming from QVGA all the VGA PPCs out there will look so much better, doesnt change the fact that the Dell has the weakest screen though.

Menneisyys
12-25-2004, 01:42 PM
I have had my x50v for about a month now, and I have been totally happy with the quality of the screen. To my eyes, it is bright, contrasty, and very readable. It works great for everything that I do. If you are migrating over from an older PPC with a QVGA screen, or from a Palm device, I guarantee you will LOVE the Dell's VGA screen.

Well, the x50v screen's is nowhere as vibrant and saturated as that of the E-125, the 1910, the 39xx (QVGA PPC's) or any transflective Palm models, so I barely think (s)he'll love the new screen, except for the higher resolution :)

Check out http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35630 to see how... well, how to put it mildly, sub-par the x50v screen color reproduction-wise is ...

Menneisyys
12-25-2004, 01:46 PM
so this idea that the Dell's screen is somehow inadequate for anyone's use it just silly.

I'd say it's certainly not the best screen for being a Digital Photo Wallet. Get a hx4700/PL720 (best screens out there) for that.

TMann
12-25-2004, 05:33 PM
Wow...you guys must be really picky about your PDA screens! :)

I do a lot of stuff on my PDA's, but none of it really requires super-accurate color rendition, or ultra-saturated colors. For what I do, ie. web surfing, E-mail, PIM tasks, music, e-books, spreadsheets, word processing, medical reference texts, etc. the Dell is totally adequate. I have yet to read a post by an x50v owners complaining about the "unsaturated" color of the Dell's screen. Its just not a problem in normal, everyday use.

So in answer to the original poster...if you're using your PDA as a digital photo wallet, and it is critical for you to have the absolute best color rendition on your PDA, then yes, you may want to look into one of the other devices. For all other tasks, just ignore the criticisms; the minor differences in screen quality will not affect how well the Dell works for you.

TMann

Sven Johannsen
12-25-2004, 06:00 PM
I agree with TMann. My X50v looks great to me. I have seen the reviews that show side-by-side shots, and it does show the Dell in a bad light. On it's own though it looks to me like lookng at a glossy photograph. It's gorgeous next to my 4155, which looks washed out in comparison. I can use the Dell at 25% backlight, where the 4155 needs to be at 50% and still isn't as bright. I was perfectly happy with my 4155 BTW. Still am, when I use it. It is only side by side that the difference is apparent. I too have looked at the 4700 at CompUSA and found the screen to be excellent. Independently I wouldn't say, 'Wow, that is so much better'. I would likely have to hold them side-by-side to notice the difference.

MROX
12-28-2004, 05:16 AM
I think Asus (A7XXw) is great (I like the size).

But I think tha camera will put me in trouble because I work at many customer site in north America.

Maybe the X50v will do a nice job cause I don't have specific graphical needs.

Thanks.