View Full Version : how many songs is IDEAL for an ipaq to hold

christina20
12-24-2004, 08:44 AM
i dont want to overload my ipaq

Darius Wey
12-24-2004, 09:04 AM

If you load them onto a storage card, you shouldn't be worried about "overloading" as such. If you're loading them on to the main memory, you are limited by the capacity of the device. But bear in mind that it shares the memory for both storage and programs, so you'd want to leave enough for the latter to launch a media player and to allow considerable multitasking if you do that.

Generally though, you can't store a whole lot of songs in the main memory, so I'd probably be looking at a storage card.

Menneisyys
12-24-2004, 09:09 AM

Actually, you can't "overload" it. FAT32/16 (and the code that processes them) can store tens thousands of files (MP3's in this case) in one card (assuming it's large enough), and any iPAQ is able to access mp3's in even a so overloaded card. JHust don't put them in the same directory :)

As for me, there were times I kept some 60 Gbytes of MP3's on my battery-operated 2.5" USB hard disk to be accessed by my Pocket Loox 720. It worked flawlessly.

And: don't put media files like these ikn the main memory - that's the only way to "overload" WindowsCE. Always make sure you have at least 10 Mbytes free memory - otherwise, WinCE may become much more inefficient.

Sven Johannsen
12-24-2004, 03:35 PM
To give you the extreme (short of the external USB drive) I have a 4G microdrive for my 2215 that just has WMAs and a video or two on it. works fine. Little short on the battery life, but the # of files isn't an issue.

christina20
12-25-2004, 08:01 AM
so in other words look into buying a memory card but my main question was how many songs on just the memory with out the card

Menneisyys
12-25-2004, 08:12 AM
so in other words look into buying a memory card but my main question was how many songs on just the memory with out the card

as long as you make sure you still have 8-9 Mbytes free so that the PPC works w/o probs, any number of files. Why don't you buy a memcard, anyway?

V-iPAQ
12-25-2004, 09:53 AM
ideally if you are only using main memory, I would not put any songs on there at all. My memory is for running programs.

Darius Wey
12-25-2004, 01:57 PM
ideally if you are only using main memory, I would not put any songs on there at all. My memory is for running programs.

I'd like to agree as well. While Menneisyys' guideline of 8-9MB is a nice starting point, generally the relatively low amount of memory in a lot of devices won't allow you to store *that* many songs. Generally, you would like to reserve your memory for programs and to help boost the running performance of your device, especially during multi-tasking. You'll find that memory cards are becoming very cheap, so they are well worth a look at.

Sven Johannsen
12-25-2004, 06:10 PM
The other issue with stuff you put in internal memory is that, if you sync files, it constantly processes these things every time you sync, slowing that process down. While a lot od folks long for the ability to sync memory cards, I don't see the need. I put things that change and need to be updated due to PC or PPC changes in main RAM. Things that don't get updated regularly, music, photos, reference files, go on the SD card. As slow as AS is in the first place, I don't need it trying to process a 1G flash card every time I cradle the PPC.

Get a memory card. They really are getting cheap. After rebate, you can darn near get a 128M one for free.

JayM
12-27-2004, 12:21 AM
Costco’s had 512MB CF and SD cards for around 50 bucks in my area. That will hold “approximately” ( :lol: but don't quote me :lol: ) five CD’s or two movies depending on your compression and media format.

christina20
12-27-2004, 04:13 AM
hmm ok best bet is to nly put a couple on there i dont really have the money to go out and buy a memory card i mean maybe the 128M but i was thinking like puting my whole music library on it but i dont think that is ideal

Zoot
12-27-2004, 11:38 AM
I have 1 movie, 15 CDs, 3 full backups and lots of other stuff on my 1Gb SD card permanently inserted in my 4155 :)