View Full Version : New e-book website - anyone used this?

Squid
12-24-2004, 08:30 AM
Hello all,

In my pre-Christmas surfing I ran across a e-book website that I have not seen before. It is at http://www.diesel-ebooks.com. I was just curious if anyone has any experience with them? What sets them apart from the rest? Just curious... Merry Christmas. :)

Regards,

Squid

Jorgen
12-31-2004, 10:37 PM
Well, read here what I wrote about them: http://cebooks.blogspot.com/2004_12_01_cebooks_archive.html#110382330517102887

Aims as I understand the setup: since they have 35K+ ebooks, effective searching is a main priority; they solve that by splitting the books into some 50 categories, each with subcategories.

They also have another discount structure than the competition.

And, yes, I have bought two books there: the whole thing works!

Jorgen

disconnected
12-31-2004, 11:15 PM
I really wish all ebook sites would let you sort by date-added-to-site within category. I don't mind plowing through the whole category once, but if I come back a week later, I just want to see what's been added.
Both ereader and fictionwise allow this, so that's where I buy most of my ebooks. Powells have a large selection, but not the date sort, so I don't buy much there.

Jorgen
01-01-2005, 09:24 AM
>I really wish all ebook sites would let you sort by date-added-to-site within category.

From my email correspondance with Diesel-ebooks, I can understand tha the site is still under development (well, the site is fully stocked and working so it is probably more precise to say that the niceties are being added now), and the owner is looking for feedback, so tell him.

I welcome the new shop - competition is good for us consumers, as it will raise the standards and hopefully result in more ebooks on the market and cheaper ebooks.

Jorgen

dMores
01-02-2005, 02:42 PM
wow, nice site. too bad they don't support mobipocket.
(mobipocket won't read secure palm ebooks. i wonder if the diesel PDBs are secure or not)

diesel is also cheaper than pdabookstore (a.k.a. fictionwise a.k.a. memoware). at least for some of the books i checked.

lsredford
01-02-2005, 05:38 PM
I appreciate the interest in the store and re-iterate Jorgens comments about ideas for improvement. I consider these forums perpetual focus groups and am very interested in any feedback. Adding book size is just one of the tasks we're working on as a result from this forum's feedback. I've also heard loud and clear that mobipocket is an important option and we working on that. Differentiation is not easy in this market as we have some great competitors, but we'd like to think the ability to find a book quickly is a special feature. If you dig "fantasy" books, not only do we have a fantasy section, but offer a sub-category of Historical so you can quickly locate your favorite type.

Stay tuned though, we hope to make an announcement in the next couple of weeks that should generate some excitement. If anybody has questions, just shoot me a mail.

Scott
www.diesel-ebooks.com

dMores
01-03-2005, 02:30 PM
[...] I've also heard loud and clear that mobipocket is an important option and we working on that. [...]erm, i wasn't trying to scream or anything :)
must mean that there were a number of mobipocket requests on other boards, right ? :)

once i finish the batch of still-to-read-books and start looking for new ebooks, i'll definately start looking at diesel-ebooks.
oh, i'd need to get my p900 back from service first :|

lsredford
01-03-2005, 03:25 PM
nah, you weren't screaming and if you did I wouldn't care. Squeaky wheel gets the grease right? Yes, we've had some other requests for mobipocket.

Scott
www.diesel-ebooks.com

Jeremiah
01-08-2005, 05:11 PM
They also offer a 20% discount (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2995) on all books valid until 2/15/05!

dMores
01-14-2005, 04:55 PM
since i'm looking for a fresh stack of books to read through, i thought i'd give diesel-ebooks a try.
but ... i only get the pda version. i'm surfing on a macintosh powerbook g4 with safari browser ... the page even shows me (except that it thinks i'm using mozilla). but i can't use the search function since every time i click inside the search box, the page reloads and empties the search box.

could you please turn off PDA-style browsing of diesel-ebooks when the user is actually sitting on a desktop / laptop?

want to check what your selection and prices are for Paul F. Wilson.
(repairman series ... gotta have it !)

popabawa
02-14-2005, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the tip about the site.

It looks promising, nice discount structure, decent range and nice prices.

However, I'm too tied up with MobiPocket to consider moving my business away from Fictionwise.

I'll happily come back for another look when MobiPocket is supported though :)