View Full Version : Hewlett Packard iPAQ rz1710 Pocket PC ---processor?

torrobinson
12-24-2004, 05:16 AM
What type of processor does this have? I want to be able to play good games, but I'm pretty sure only ARM can play 3d games..... I should be buying this on Boxing day or the next day, but I want to know if it is good

Edit: this is in the palm-ppc catagory because I only have a Palm right now. BTW: it just "stopped" working for no reasong today, giving me more of a reason to go and buy one-I would buy the Ipaq 1940, but Staples stopped selling what wasnt being made

Darius Wey
12-24-2004, 05:28 AM
Hmm. Depending on your budget, I'd steer clear of the rz1710 if you can. It doesn't justify the true power of a Pocket PC. It's lack of processing power (Samsung S3C2410 203MHz) and lack of Wi-Fi/BT don't really bring a lot of joy for the user. I'd look at something like the Dell X30 (624MHz) if you want a good Pocket PC. Otherwise, if you're after a decent machine that can play 3D games apart from a high powered processor, the X50v is a nice VGA device with a graphics accelerator. But this depends on your budget though.

IF you were to choose between the h1940 and the rz1710, the former wins any day.

torrobinson
12-24-2004, 05:32 AM
Not even bluetooth?! Arg! I guess I won't get it then. As I said, I was gouing to get the Ipaq 1940 (it's good, right?) but then they said they were sold out... maybe other stores... My budget (considering that I am only 14 and my cash comes from a $15 allowance) would probably be $400 or under (Canadian)-but there isnt a big selection.

Darius Wey
12-24-2004, 05:50 AM
Not even bluetooth?! Arg! I guess I won't get it then. As I said, I was gouing to get the Ipaq 1940 (it's good, right?) but then they said they were sold out... maybe other stores... My budget (considering that I am only 14 and my cash comes from a $15 allowance) would probably be $400 or under (Canadian)-but there isnt a big selection.

Yup. No BT. Pat, one of the editors, made a post about it a few days ago. Basically, the unit was voted a dud. I mean it has a market for the minority, but you shouldn't subject yourself to it if you're after something that can perform well. I own an h1940 and I'm happy with the performance. It lacks Wi-Fi but you can always add an SDIO Wi-Fi card if you want that, or take it one step further and have a look at either the h4150 (same form factor as the h1940) or the Axim X30 (but different form factor, altogether). Have a look at the PPCT Pricegrabber page (there's a link on the front page), or eBay. The h1940 is still available if you looked hard enough. :)

ipaq1940
12-30-2004, 10:03 AM
Hey! This is "torrobinson". I made a new account because my last one was messed up.
Apparently, there were only 3 Ipaq 1940s left in Edmonton, and my parents bought 2 for me and my bro on christmas. I'm really glad I didnt get that other one! :)
I love my ppc soooo much!

Darius Wey
12-31-2004, 04:36 AM
Great! Glad to see you're happy with your new toy. :)