View Full Version : Tmobile internet.. nerfed again?

jeffmd
12-23-2004, 07:47 PM
A couple of months ago, Tmobile clamped down on its outside net access with its free WAP feature. Hows ever if you just payed for the $5 tzones you could again get unlimited web access.

This might have started a while ago but I didn't begin using its net access again untill just reascently, butI found my net access had been restricted yet again. At first I found that, while not totaly blocked from the outside, my web transfer was so slow that it took minutes to bring up even the simplist web page (google home), or just plain timed out. I discovered that some people when configuring their pda phones, used a proxy server (216.155.165.50, identifies as Nokia WAP Gateway 4.0/ECD10/4.0.64), HTTP/1.1 proatlwebacc02[05400016] (Traffic-Server/5.1.3-55590 [uScM]. I plugged this into my web browser and access is once again restored, but the connection seems pickier about files and images. Loading images can often lead to a "dead" connection (no hangup but no more data is recieved from the phone), and an error is sent back from the proxy server if you click on a file thats around a meg or more in size saying its to large.

I think it may be time to look for a new provider for gprs net access?

redlynr
12-26-2004, 04:16 AM
I purchased the HP IPaq 6315 and was extremely disappointed with the T-mobile service -- less than 5Kbps. Almost every site timed out. Fortunately I could return it for a refund. I loved the device, just the service was horrible even though the voice signal quality was great. When I returned the device, the salesman told me that they cannot even get the thing to work in the store even though the cell tower was right accross the street....

jeffmd
12-27-2004, 03:29 AM
red, which service?

well after spending a great deal of time at howard forums, It confirmed everything I have found. Now the low cost tzones only allows a limited proxy web access.. and yes, its slow too. Since im on vacation for nearly 3 weeks, I decided to get the full $20 net access plan.

The speeds I got from that plan were 5kbps.. but really even that isnt good enough for todays web, and on top of that the accelerator service tmobile had before is down now for "upgrades" that only god knows when will be done. So I searched out and signed up to www.browseblast.com which offers first month free, and now browsing the web is great. file transfers cant be helped though.. god 5kbp us useless for mp3 and such. ;) I have to leave my phone on and downloading all night. ^^