View Full Version : Free Hotspots - How does it work?

shawnc
12-23-2004, 02:40 AM
I've got my 4150 and a Fujitsu S6210, both with built-in integrated 802.11 capability. My question is, how do I use the wireless capability outside of my home network?

For instance, our local Panera Bread has a free wireless hotspot (I believe that is the proper term). How do I take advantage of that? Do I simply walk in and boot up (or in the case of my 4150, simply turn it on)? Will my machine automatically recognize the network or do I need to do some sort of reconfiguration? I was always so amazed that I actually got my home wireless to work that I've been afraid to try either device outside of the home for fear that I would disable the wireless from working at all (I know that is the height of paranoia, but when you're technically challenged like me, you don't take unnecessary chances).

So gang, how does it work? Any input is appreciated.

Thanx,

Pat Logsdon
12-23-2004, 04:15 AM
It's pretty easy. Here's what I'd do the first time you're there. Fire up your 4150 and turn on WiFi. Then tap Start/Settings/Connections and tap the Advanced tab, and then the Network Card button. That'll get you to the Configure Wireless Networks screen, where you'll see the currently available networks, and the networks you've connected to in the past.

At this point, you may already be connected to the new network, and if so, the name of the network will be at the top of the list and it'll say "Connected". If it says that the network is just "Available", you may need to tap and hold the network name and select "Connect". You should now be able to get online.

If you're connected but can't browse, you may need to tap the network name (single tap) and select "Connects to: "The Internet" in the drop-down box.

Sven Johannsen
12-23-2004, 04:55 AM
Let me clue you in so you won't take it personnally when you can't get it to work at Panera bread though. Some free WiFi hotspots work just as Pat said. Others make it a little harder. Panera is one. They have a page they default you to, to let you read their terms of use, and have a spot at the bottom that says click here to continue browsing. The button supposedly below the 'click here' doesn't show up on PIE. It depends on some feature PIE doesn't support.

You can get on with NetFront, an alternative browser, and then go right back to PIE and do most anything. You just can't click the invisible button in PIE, at my local Panera Bread anyway. I'm pretty sure they are all set up the same.

Just wanted you to know that if something doesn't go exactly right, it is not neccessarily you doing anything wrong.

disconnected
12-23-2004, 05:20 AM
Maybe not all Paneras are the same; I was able to connect in one a few weeks ago (St Louis Galleria).

shawnc
12-23-2004, 03:34 PM
Thanx guys, I'll give it a try sometime this weekend. I LOVE THIS SITE :multi:

Ollie03031
12-30-2004, 04:06 PM
At Penara Bread you have to turn off "Fit to Screen" and then you can see the sign on page in Pocket IE. No need for NetFront.

Sven Johannsen
12-30-2004, 07:10 PM
At Penara Bread you have to turn off "Fit to Screen" and then you can see the sign on page in Pocket IE. No need for NetFront.

Not at mine. The button I could see with Netfront, just didn't exist in PIE, with any settings. Might be different now. Certainly could be different systems. I did e-mail their tech support with the issue at the time and got a response. They had wanted me to call them the next time I was there, but I haven't been back with enough time to mess with it. Was 6 mos ago.