View Full Version : X50 buttons turn on screen during music playback

upplepop
12-22-2004, 07:59 PM
I am getting this really annoying problem when listening to music with my X50v. I have a button mapped to shut of the screen when playing back music, but whenever I use any of the other hardware buttons (to change tracks, adjust volume, etc), the screen turns back on. (Commands mapped to the D-Pad, however, will not activate the screen).

It's not program-specific either. I get this exact problem with Pocket MVP, BetaPlayer, Pocket Music, and Windows Media Player. My Axim X5 did not have this problem at all, so the problem is with either the device or the OS.

On a related note, ever notice that in Windows Media Player, whenever you try to assign a hardware button, it instead activates the funtion that button is used for (i.e. Calendar, Contacts, etc.)?

Anyone have any suggestions or workarounds?

Darius Wey
12-23-2004, 05:12 AM
I am getting this really annoying problem when listening to music with my X50v. I have a button mapped to shut of the screen when playing back music, but whenever I use any of the other hardware buttons (to change tracks, adjust volume, etc), the screen turns back on. (Commands mapped to the D-Pad, however, will not activate the screen).

I can reproduce this problem on the h1940 as well, so you're not alone.

On a related note, ever notice that in Windows Media Player, whenever you try to assign a hardware button, it instead activates the funtion that button is used for (i.e. Calendar, Contacts, etc.)?

It's a problem with WMP10 Mobile. You can map the D-pad but nothing else. There was a thread on this a while ago here. (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33387) At best, you'll most probably have to wait for an update to be released by the vendor, which will hopefully solve this annoyance (no guarantees of course).

Don't Panic!
12-23-2004, 07:25 PM
Setup a playlist you can live with before hand the use the lock button after turning off the screen.

Dave Beauvais
12-24-2004, 02:52 AM
Same problem with my hx4700. D-pad does not wake the screen, but the application buttons do. Very annoying behavior. (This is in Media Player 9 since 10 isn't yet available for the hx4700.) My old h5455 upgraded to WM2003 never did this. I frequently need to pause playback while I'm at work in case someone walks in the office and needs something, and it's annoying to have to switch the display off again.

Menneisyys
12-24-2004, 12:46 PM
A very simple solution to this is using a third-party screenlock. I've tested using ScreenLock for Pocket PC v1.2 ( http://www.freewareppc.com/utilities/screenlockforpocketpc.shtml ) in the above-described way and it worked flawlessly - you can't turn on the screen without pressing the two dedicated button at the same time.

Sure, it's a separate program (not the built-in screen toggle functionality of PWMP), but works wonderfully.

Dave Beauvais
12-24-2004, 04:34 PM
A very simple solution to this is using a third-party screenlock. I've tested using ScreenLock for Pocket PC v1.2 ( http://www.freewareppc.com/utilities/screenlockforpocketpc.shtml ) ...
Heh... I love the screenshot they used for the program on that download page. :D

Darius Wey
12-24-2004, 04:38 PM
Heh... I love the screenshot they used for the program on that download page. :D

I was thinking of the exact same thing a while ago. Oh well, it does what it says. ;)

Dermot81
12-25-2004, 06:13 PM
Yeah I have the same problem on my 4700 and had it on my 2215...I've been whining about it now and then, but no one takes me seriously, or doesn't think its really a "problem."

Darius Wey
12-26-2004, 04:01 AM
Yeah I have the same problem on my 4700 and had it on my 2215...I've been whining about it now and then, but no one takes me seriously, or doesn't think its really a "problem."

For now, I suggest sticking to a third-party application which can help map buttons. As for the Windows Media issue, you may just have to wait for the vendor to release an update. I'm not entirely sure if the button mapping problems exist on the hx4700 since I don't own the device, but based on your comments, I'm assuming it does. It's a little strange for it to be affecting WMP9 though.