View Full Version : A Little Bluetooth Goes a Long Way. A Very Long Way

Jonathon Watkins
12-22-2004, 03:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.popsci.com/popsci/how2/article/0,20967,714017,00.html' target='_blank'>http://www.popsci.com/popsci/how2/a...,714017,00.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Bluetooth is best known for short-range, low-bandwidth wireless jobs: connecting a cellphone with a headset or syncing a PDA with a nearby computer. But just as a flashlight’s reflector focuses a small bulb’s light to make it appear brighter, the right antenna can boost a weak wireless signal. So I detached the stock antenna from a Linksys USBBT100 Class 1 USB Bluetooth adapter ($70; linksys.com) and replaced it with a larger HyperGain RE05U 2.4GHz antenna ($15; hyperlinktech.com). With that simple mod, I can make a Bluetooth connection up to a mile away."</i><br /><br />And so can you. We've <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30786&amp;">previously posted</a> about a more experimental Bluetooth Range Extension, but Popular Science Magazine give full details of their 13 step procedure. They give it a difficulty rating of 3 out of 5, which should be no problem for you guys right? ;-) Warranties? We don't need no stinking warrantees. ;-) Anyone fancy trying this?

GoldKey
12-22-2004, 03:39 PM
Isn't it going to be hard to see the screen to be using the keyboard that far away. :wink:

Paragon
12-22-2004, 03:52 PM
I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but how usable is this? The access point range is increased to about a mile, but the Pocket PC still only transmits info back....30 feet! In affect it is only one way communication, right?

Dave

marcm
12-22-2004, 03:55 PM
I wonder how long it's going to take before someone attaches a bluetooth adapter to a radio tower for a bluetooth signal all over their city... :wink:

surur
12-22-2004, 04:05 PM
I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but how usable is this? The access point range is increased to about a mile, but the Pocket PC still only transmits info back....30 feet! In affect it is only one way communication, right?

Dave

This again puts paid to the whole 30 feet/100 feet range thing of bluetooth class I and III. Clearly if you have enough gain you can transmit at any strenght, and still be picked up. All you need is a better antenna. Just look at the little Rover on Mars and Radio telescopes here on Earth.

Surur

DaleReeck
12-22-2004, 04:07 PM
Another example of just because you can doesn't mean you should :)

that_kid
12-22-2004, 04:13 PM

Dave

Not really because the gain imposed by the antenna affects both the transmit and recieve. Think of it as using a un-amplified bullhorn, larg on one end small on the other, when you speak into the small end your voice is amplified out the larger end, if you put your ear to the small end all the sound coming into the larger end is concetrated to your ear.

Paragon
12-22-2004, 04:16 PM
Thanks, Eric,

I always wondered about that. Great analogy btw.

Dave

Jonathon Watkins
12-22-2004, 04:24 PM
Another example of just because you can doesn't mean you should :)

Bingo. :wink: This is definitely W?BIC! at it's best.

NLS
12-22-2004, 04:33 PM
old news

with WIFI that more established for long(er) range INCLUDING such modifications (in Greece we even have a semi-official WIFI network IN WHOLE Athens) I don't see why would I bother

thanos255
12-22-2004, 04:49 PM

Dave

This again puts paid to the whole 30 feet/100 feet range thing of bluetooth class I and III. Clearly if you have enough gain you can transmit at any strenght, and still be picked up. All you need is a better antenna. Just look at the little Rover on Mars and Radio telescopes here on Earth.

Surur

I never thought of that before....pretty kewl :)

Paragon
12-22-2004, 04:54 PM
old news

with WIFI that more established for long(er) range INCLUDING such modifications (in Greece we even have a semi-official WIFI network IN WHOLE Athens) I don't see why would I bother

...because I don't live in Greece?! :lol:

NLS
12-22-2004, 05:19 PM
:lol:

still it's simpler to make a (big) wireless network and will also give you the benefit of real networking (inc. the security, common settings, compatibility) you expect from a real networking solution

surur
12-22-2004, 05:43 PM

still it's simpler to make a (big) wireless network and will also give you the benefit of real networking (inc. the security, common settings, compatibility) you expect from a real networking solution

Im sure this is just a proof of concept. Wifi is for networks. Im sure most people would just be happy to have a crackle free connection between their headsets and their mobile phone !

Surur

Paragon
12-22-2004, 05:49 PM

I agree!

Menneisyys
12-22-2004, 06:00 PM

Dave

Well, you can also hack your PDA to have an external antenna :) An example of the iPAQ 4150:

http://www.pcdamagecontrol.com/IPAQ%20MOD.htm

Menneisyys
12-22-2004, 06:00 PM

yeah, BT is just not for IP networking.

jake080
12-22-2004, 06:01 PM
.... i love BT more now than ever... thanks to BT having a buggy moment... i reestablished contact with an old friend... now shes my girlfriend... all thanks to BlueTooth! :twisted:

thats only sorta true, that all appened, but yeah, BT isnt the only reason i love her ;)

I still think wifi will hold out a while though :P

surur
12-22-2004, 06:28 PM
http://www.pcdamagecontrol.com/IPAQ%20MOD_files/image005.jpg

Wow! Thats a cool mod! Dont see you being allowed to use that on an aeroplane though :)

Surur

Jonathan1
12-22-2004, 10:39 PM
Wow! Thats a cool mod! Dont see you being allowed to use that on an aeroplane though :)

Surur

Well not yet at any rate. Give it a couple years :)

beq
12-22-2004, 11:42 PM
An ISP in an Asian city I'm dealing with is apparently using standard Wi-Fi for their fixed wireless dedicated service to customers over significant distances (not proprietary fixed wireless, not WiMax). I think when it rains there are sometimes interruptions?

ctmagnus
12-23-2004, 02:59 AM
8O What I want to know is, whose fingerprint is that on the screen?